Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Unpopular Fame Opinions You Hold

+99
jstilwe
rivki8699
LadyGayle
ActonBell
Agent Sculder
Gillian
Paris, Texas
gannetguts
Binky
wenchsenior
Gilraen
puddingcup
Morning Angel
slmader
Snarryfan
naughty zoot
Genevieve
ulkis
Melk
Raksha
draco vulgaris
punkysdilemma
mandalaya
Never Enough
dionneshea
Jude
Skyblade
bosoxgirl
Red Wolf
easybreezy
PrincessCleo
mayram
Rhilin
Gallifrey Girl
maxell131313
Kookla
Swarley
oxymoron
Tabby
mrinsouciance
punzy
Corvus
UmaOprah
Coneycat
big chicken
eco
sobe
sunni94
truecrystal
Heather
Putli Bai
VodouDoll
Decca
TiffanyNichelle
Algae
Esseilte
Lis
laddical
mialoubug
bbridges
Eris Rising
Cutebutpsycho
eventide82
Poubelle
Unlucky Bear
Kiran
Cynara
Instant Monkeys
blixie
swsa
Pop'n'Fresh
Miss Moneypenny
Evil Lincoln
mokey75
Matinee
QueenSix
katha
Jasmine
Crowbridge
dinahmoe
Carrie Ann
jcpdiesel21
sagitare
curryalley
biakbiak
caltrask55
Pumpkin Cake
katesti
paablish
Ceci
The Glen
blooey
whatthedeuce
Grainne Mhaol
Sheli
The Dude
tothemax
19uses
queenofdenile
103 posters

Page 9 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 20  Next

Go down

Unpopular Fame Opinions You Hold - Page 9 Empty Re: Unpopular Fame Opinions You Hold

Post  Miss Moneypenny Sun May 06, 2012 1:46 pm

Oh god, it's "S&M" that triggers my Get Off My Lawn! button. It came on yesterday and I was like, "I swear to God, if my kid ever asks me what this song means, I will find Rihanna and MAKE HER DO IT."

Of course, I also remember scrambling to change the station when "Closer" came on so my own mom didn't hear "I wanna fuck you like an animal," so I'm thinking subtlety in music actually went out the window a loooooooong time ago. (Of course, Closer is one of my favorite songs, so maybe it's less the content and more that Rihanna's sex songs are just crap.)
Miss Moneypenny
Miss Moneypenny

http://daisyrazor.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Unpopular Fame Opinions You Hold - Page 9 Empty Re: Unpopular Fame Opinions You Hold

Post  Cutebutpsycho Sun May 06, 2012 1:48 pm

Closer is better writing and music wise. S&M is Rihanna chanting two letters in the alphabet over and over. It's like how I hate We Found Love because those three words are ALL OF THE SONG.
Cutebutpsycho
Cutebutpsycho

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhilin Sun May 06, 2012 3:03 pm

I caught "We Found Love" on the radio from the beginning, and was actually surprised that there are lyrics other than the title. Not that I can remember them.

I actually like a few of Rihanna's songs as dance tunes, like Disturbia. But lately she's sort of...devolved musically? And a lot of her "racier" stuff just comes off like a pre-teen trying to look mature, and is really uncomfortable to watch. I dunno why, it just is. I actually feel like Todd in the Shadows articulated a lot of my problems with recent Rihanna songs in his review of S&M.

I guess I wish her well, but am continually surprised she's still famous.

Rhilin

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Sun May 06, 2012 4:03 pm

Rihanna had actually been getting on my nerves lately, and for some reason, I loved watching her on SNL. She usually seems to be sneering kinda angrily, but she looked so adorable and so into the music and performance that I couldn't help but like her. I was laughing hard though at all the patting going on around her nether region! That was...not very subtle. At all.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys Sun May 06, 2012 4:11 pm

It's not even so much anything specific in the song, like the food comparison or even the oral sex reference...it's just...samey same same same same sexy sex sex monotone sex point at crotch jiggle butt sex naughty sex leather explosions sex. Doesn't she ever get TIRED of it? I think it's also time for me to admit to myself that I really don't care for her voice (it's so bleaty) or the music of any of her songs really (sometimes I feel like there is one note in the entire song) other than "My Life," which I like for some reason despite the one-note issue. So that's certainly part of it.

She makes zillions of dollars doing songs like that, so obviously she knows what she's doing, but I see her up there singing a song COMPLETELY consisting of the metaphor of her vagina being a cake, and I just want to be like, "Public education has failed you [yeah, she's from Barbados, I know] if you think there's anything good or clever or non-stupid about this song." It's not gender-based either...I remember hearing 50 Cent's "Candy Shop" for the first time and just being like "REALLY? Really?" But even that is like P.G. Wodehouse compared to "CAKE CAKE CAKE CAKE CAKE CAKE" [helpful pointing].

Miss MP, I had the same experience with Madonna -- my mom did NOT like her, and I loved her, and I knew what "Like a Virgin" meant and I just didn't really care one way or another -- I wasn't into Madonna BECAUSE of that stuff, I just thought Madonna was awesome. I was kind of into the sexy parts, too, they just weren't the main reason I liked her. When the Dick Tracy soundtrack came out and it had a song on it about being spanked, my reaction was just sort of "Oh, Madonna." It didn't twist my psyche or lead me into a lifestyle of BDSM or whatever, even though I'm sure my mom thought I would end up pregnant at 16 as a direct result of that song (as it turned out she had very little to worry about in that department). But I just thought the song was fun.

Actually I had an amusing conversation with my mom recently about Lady Gaga, whom she read an article about or something and has decided she really likes, in which I pointed out that basically all the things she hates about Madonna are also true of Lady Gaga and all the things she likes about Lady Gaga are also true of Madonna, that ended with her essentially going "WELL I NEVER" and stomping away. So, yeah, the context in which you're exposed to a musician or a pop-cultural image, I'm sure, has a HUGE impact on how you perceive it and whether you think it's edgily transgressive or moronic and crass. And I concede that if I'd been a teenager when Rihanna was big I might see her differently. But I don't think it's the ONLY factor, and I also just think that her songs are dumb. At least a bunch of the recent ones. So there.
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  Crowbridge Sun May 06, 2012 4:37 pm

Miss Moneypenny wrote:Oh god, it's "S&M" that triggers my Get Off My Lawn! button. It came on yesterday and I was like, "I swear to God, if my kid ever asks me what this song means, I will find Rihanna and MAKE HER DO IT."

I HATE THAT SONG.

It's that, "Sex in the air, I don't care, I like the smell of it" line that makes my teeth grind. SO GROSS.

Crowbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  mayram Mon May 07, 2012 3:12 pm

Instant Monkeys wrote:I was just watching SNL and Rihanna came out to do her song, and I guess it's called "Birthday Cake," and like literally she's standing up there pointing at her crotch going "Cake cake cake cake cake cake" and I just had one of those "Is this what we've come to as a culture?" moments. I'm sure Rihanna is a nice person, and I certainly take her side in the whole debacle with Chris Brown, and I don't have any particular dislike for her generally, but the ennui that just swept over me, man.

I hit that same wall flipping channels on New Year's Eve last year. I was flipping between a Ke$ha performance on New Year's Rockin' Eve and the MTV NYE show featuring the Jersey shore cast and Whitney Cummings, whose comedy is really stupid and needlessly crass. Ke$ha looked completely drunk and sweaty and trashy and I think it was that stupid "hole in the wall, dirty free for all" song. And then of course the JS cast is always drunk and trashy and the whole thing just depressed me. I felt like I'd hit my trash/vapidity capacity and I just couldn't watch anymore.

mayram

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Moneypenny Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:58 pm

I find Blake Lively lovely and charming. I don't really understand all the crankiness about her lack of talent because if talent were a prerequisite for success in acting, Hollywood would be a very different place.
Miss Moneypenny
Miss Moneypenny

Back to top Go down

Post  PrincessCleo Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:26 pm

Cutebutpsycho wrote:Closer is better writing and music wise. S&M is Rihanna chanting two letters in the alphabet over and over. It's like how I hate We Found Love because those three words are ALL OF THE SONG.
I'll always be kind of fond of that one just because someone turned it into "We Found Loaves in a Toastless Place" when the Hunger Games movie came out.

But yeah. I like Rihanna and yet I cannot deny any of these truths. Like even I noticed that it's gotten same-ier (samier?) than usual.

"CAKE CAKE CAKE CAKE CAKE CAKE" [helpful pointing]
hee hee
PrincessCleo
PrincessCleo
Admin

http://http;//cleolinda.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Post  easybreezy Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:20 am

I seem to be the only person on the planet who doesn't dig Katy Perry.

easybreezy

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:25 am

I've never even heard the music of Katy Perry, or Lady Gaga. I'm just not into pop. And I don't care one way or the other about what they do apart from music.

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  bosoxgirl Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:08 pm

I find Blake Lively lovely and charming. I don't really understand all the crankiness about her lack of talent because if talent were a prerequisite for success in acting, Hollywood would be a very different place..

I like her too. She's so pretty and I thought she was good in The Town. Plus, I like that her hobby is cooking and baking.

bosoxgirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Skyblade Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:04 pm

Blake a lively isn't the worst but Gossip Girl was always a show that mattered just because writers for a handful of publications insisted it mattered, so that probably builds up resentment even for your given it girl. Or maybe it's people who are transferring the rivalry with Leighton Meester's character to reality.

Skyblade

Back to top Go down

Post  Jude Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:22 pm

I don't dislike Blake Lively, but my unpopular opinion is that she's not all that pretty. She's got a great body and amazing hair, but I remember my first glimpse of her during the pilot episode of Gossip Girl, after all the characters are raving about how beautiful Sabrina is, and thinking "Really?"

That said, she's a lot better-looking than I am, so I should shut up.

Jude

Back to top Go down

Post  Crowbridge Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:14 pm

I didn't even know who Blake Lively was until I saw the trailer for Savages. I probably saw her on Gossip Girl while channel surfing, but her look doesn't really register with me. She looks like a lot of other girls.

Crowbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  Putli Bai Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:54 pm

I couldn't pick Blake Lively out of a line-up - there are so many young blonde actresses that I don't even try to keep them straight. Ditto young brown-haired actors.

I didn't care one way or the other about Katy Perry until I saw she used Rebecca Black (along with a bunch of other people) in her video for "Last Friday Night." Now I'm Team Katy. My unpopular opinion is that I feel sorry for Rebecca Black. I mean, I certainly don't think she should be singing - she should be working down at the Wal-Mart with the assorted Kardashian/Jenner siblings - but she didn't deserve the massive hate-on everyone seemed to have for her. She's a teen-ager; what teen-ager wouldn't have jumped at the opportunity to release a single. I know I would have. Which is just one more reason I'm thankful that I was a teenager back in the stone ages, before there was an internet. I can't even imagine the trail of foolishness I would have left in my wake.
Putli Bai
Putli Bai

Back to top Go down

Post  Crowbridge Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:12 pm

Katy Perry is fun. I don't like her first album, but her second album won me over. It's cracktastic.

Kind of tired of Lady Gaga, though...but I don't think this is so unpopular.

Crowbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:24 am

After watching her movie today, I really do have more respect for Katy Perry. She seems very sweet and kooky and ambitious. It was tough watching the stuff about Russell Brand and seeing how committed she was to the marriage and then seeing her cry as it fell apart. Rough stuff, seriously.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:08 pm

I've always been good with Katy Perry. Not my style of music, but it's pretty harmless.

As far as Rebecca Black goes, I can see poking some fun at the video and song, but the amount of hate that she got for performing and uploading the thing seems so out of proportion that it beggars the imagination.
Eris Rising
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:09 pm

Katy Perry seems pretty harmless. I had a bit of a hate on when she came out with I Kissed a Girl because of all the issues surrounding that song, but since then she seems to have just concentrated on fun pop.

I like Blake Lively too. I think shes pretty, and honestly, I think she was good in the Town and the Many Lives of Pippa Lee. Shes not a fantastic actor, but I think shes better in most of her movies then she is in Gossip Girl, and I like the fact that she picks interesting projects for the most part and I get the feeling she works to be actively better. And I've heard good things about Savages and her in it, and I enjoyed the cray cray that was that book so I want to see the movie version. Also I was kinda grossed out by the reaction she got when she was dating Leo DiCaprio, like she was beneath him. How good you are at your job doesn't have THAT much to do with how you are as a person and she has way more personality then most of the girls he dates, and honestly I like Leo a lot but he seems like he'd be that boyfriend you had who is always judging you for not driving a prius and who doesn't change his shirt often enough.

I have a lot of thoughts on Blake Lively and how the media treats her apparently...
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:28 pm

Blake Lively just doesn't have anything that stands out physically to me. I've seen plenty of these movies and wasn't even aware that was her. Glass half full at least she didn't suck so bad I was like "Who the hell is that?" *cough* Megan Fox *cough*
The Dude
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:37 pm

I like Megan Fox. I haven't seen much of her work besides her SNL episode, but I love reading interviews of hers and think she's amusing. She also seems to have matured a lot in recent years and at least acknowledges that she was really playing the Hollywood game and being reckless for attention when she first shot to fame.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Moneypenny Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:10 pm

whatthedeuce wrote:I like Megan Fox. I haven't seen much of her work besides her SNL episode, but I love reading interviews of hers and think she's amusing. She also seems to have matured a lot in recent years and at least acknowledges that she was really playing the Hollywood game and being reckless for attention when she first shot to fame.

I constantly forget that she's only 26. I roll my eyes at her a lot, but I roll my eyes at myself pre-25 as well. It's just a dumb stage.

Anyway. I constantly see Blake called plain and I think my inherent contrariness may be half of why I think she's so pretty. Lord, I would pay good money to be that plain.
Miss Moneypenny
Miss Moneypenny

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:29 pm

Blake is not delicately pretty which for some people is the only kind of pretty which exists. I think Blake has charisma. She held her own with Amber Tamblyn and American Ferrara in Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants which I think is something considering she's nowhere near as good at acting as they are.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:59 pm

She's just a type of pretty that there's a lot of in hollywood and 90% of Playboy playmates. Women like Amy Seifried and ScarJo stick out a bit.

Anyway another example (I expected disagreement on Fox); Chris Klien.
The Dude
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 20  Next