Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Celebrities and the Law

+96
BrightEyes
megageek
truecrystal
wenchsenior
vwlphb
00redsvt
Lily Rose
jstilwe
mandalaya
bbridges
shanndee
blooey
RubyTuesday
Raised by wolves
PrincessCleo
Shadowlass
Putli Bai
punkysdilemma
emrie
choubetcha
mayram
QueenSix
Grainne Mhaol
Melk
mialoubug
slmader
Coneycat
big chicken
Gallifrey Girl
TiffanyNichelle
puddingcup
Morning Angel
gannetguts
Instant Monkeys
Matinee
queenofdenile
epudom
salamandersam
oxymoron
Genevieve
Never Enough
Cynara
dionneshea
Carrie Ann
mokey75
filwdork
Swarley
The Glen
chibimanda
Arabella
Snarryfan
mrinsouciance
Escape
Skyblade
Francie Nolan
Miss Moneypenny
Crowbridge
CherryFlame
Red Wolf
Raksha
whatthedeuce
punzy
dreago
LadyGayle
Binky
bookworm
inversed
dinahmoe
eventide82
Cutebutpsycho
Case
themis
Poubelle
sagitare
biakbiak
ActonBell
Wildog27
lisa
laddical
tothemax
Decca
Eris Rising
nikita
Unlucky Bear
naughty zoot
blixie
Kiran
caltrask55
Jude
swsa
year of the cat
jcpdiesel21
katesti
particle_person
xyzzy
The Dude
100 posters

Page 10 of 28 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 19 ... 28  Next

Go down

Celebrities and the Law - Page 10 Empty Re: Celebrities and the Law

Post  Snarryfan Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:52 pm

But here's the thing--the person who came forward did so with no interest in pressing charges nor did they claim they were assaulted--they just said the relationship began before he was 18. Again, depending on the state, its possible that no crime was committed. Is it poor judgement to sleep with an emotionally immature 16 year old, yes, but it can also be poor judgement to sleep with an emotionally immature 30 year old. Louis Anderson was exhtorted for money by someone of age who took advantage of his public closeted status. My guess is this young man was pushed forward by shady people looking for a pay-out and since revealing celebs as gay is no longer the career ender it once was, even if that career is as Elmo, they did the next best thing, say that sex began when the person was 16 which again, is hazy in terms of age of consent laws.

Also, someone who sleeps with a 16 year old is not a pedophile. Pedophiles are those attracted to pre-pubescent children.

Snarryfan

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:25 pm

You're right, that was the incorrect term.

I had read somewhere that the accuser was seeking a lawyer to represent him, but I can't remember the source or how legitimate it was, so again, I'll go with "this current story is the correct one," because Elmo.
queenofdenile
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  xyzzy Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:47 pm

It was actually the young man's law firm who released the statement that he'd recanted.
xyzzy
xyzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:42 am

Snarryfan wrote:But here's the thing--the person who came forward did so with no interest in pressing charges nor did they claim they were assaulted--they just said the relationship began before he was 18. Again, depending on the state, its possible that no crime was committed. Is it poor judgement to sleep with an emotionally immature 16 year old, yes, but it can also be poor judgement to sleep with an emotionally immature 30 year old. Louis Anderson was exhtorted for money by someone of age who took advantage of his public closeted status. My guess is this young man was pushed forward by shady people looking for a pay-out and since revealing celebs as gay is no longer the career ender it once was, even if that career is as Elmo, they did the next best thing, say that sex began when the person was 16 which again, is hazy in terms of age of consent laws.

Also, someone who sleeps with a 16 year old is not a pedophile. Pedophiles are those attracted to pre-pubescent children.

"Ephebeophile" is the term for that, I believe. And that's a very good point, especially considering the "Oh my God, how could they let him around the children on the show?" comments that I've been seeing. Well, they likely weren't in any real danger, as an attraction to prepubescents and an attraction to teenagers are two very different pathologies.
Eris Rising
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:25 am

Eris Rising wrote:
Snarryfan wrote:But here's the thing--the person who came forward did so with no interest in pressing charges nor did they claim they were assaulted--they just said the relationship began before he was 18. Again, depending on the state, its possible that no crime was committed. Is it poor judgement to sleep with an emotionally immature 16 year old, yes, but it can also be poor judgement to sleep with an emotionally immature 30 year old. Louis Anderson was exhtorted for money by someone of age who took advantage of his public closeted status. My guess is this young man was pushed forward by shady people looking for a pay-out and since revealing celebs as gay is no longer the career ender it once was, even if that career is as Elmo, they did the next best thing, say that sex began when the person was 16 which again, is hazy in terms of age of consent laws.

"Ephebeophile" is the term for that, I believe. And that's a very good point, especially considering the "Oh my God, how could they let him around the children on the show?" comments that I've been seeing. Well, they likely weren't in any real danger, as an attraction to prepubescents and an attraction to teenagers are two very different pathologies.

Right, and attraction to teenagers isn't particularly unusual or illegal (young, peak of fitness, adult reproductive characteristics, no duh), it's why there are statutory rape laws (in which case it is illegal). Elmo had a consensual sexual relationship with a teenager, despite being in his 40's. Kind of icky, but not a Sandusky situation. But it will draw judgment and stain his character. I have a beloved friend who only dates 18-22 year old women. He is closer to double 22 than either of those numbers. He's not a predator, but it makes people go "seriously?" So, Elmo, "Seriously?"
Binky
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  Gallifrey Girl Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:18 pm

Apparently this is the guy that accused Kevin Clash.

Gallifrey Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:05 pm

And the dude's law firm is no longer representing him? This looks like he was trying to shake Clash down for money.
particle_person
particle_person
Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Moneypenny Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:23 pm

Gallifrey Girl wrote:Apparently this is the guy that accused Kevin Clash.

Well in addition to the important lesson of "Don't date anyone near the consent line," Kevin Clash has also learned the maxim "Don't date people with sketchy tattoos."
Miss Moneypenny
Miss Moneypenny

http://daisyrazor.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Gallifrey Girl Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:51 pm

And now he retracts his recant. Oy.

Gallifrey Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:07 pm

Yeahhhh, okay, when you recant and then retract, that tells me that you are unreliable and a liar. Now this guy has a lot of money AND he can try to continue to hurt Clash with more allegations.
particle_person
particle_person
Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:13 pm

I have no idea who, if anyone, is advising him but they're doing a very bad job of it.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:26 pm

I think there are two camps, one arguing that statutory rape accusations (especially ones that are 5 or so years ago) are unlikely to yield the result the young man desires, and one telling him he can get more money.
Binky
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:29 pm

Yeah, there goes that guy's credibility. That story is growing more insane by the day.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  TiffanyNichelle Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:59 pm

There's a second accuser and Kevin Clash has resigned.
TiffanyNichelle
TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:02 pm

Yep, that had to happen sooner or later. Is this the first time that Sesame Street has ever come anywhere close to scandal? It's the first time as far as I can recall, but it's been around far longer than I have so I may not be aware of something that happened in its earlier years.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  xyzzy Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:18 pm

God, Children's Television Workshop must be cringing over the whole "tickle me Elmo" thing now. Eesh.
xyzzy
xyzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:20 pm

I know. Something so innocent now has a creepy ring to it.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:02 pm

The second accuser was not met through Sesame Street, but through a gay sex phone line. Which apparently allowed underage kids on it. Nice.

Sigh. What a mess. Which I don't believe for a second is going to stop the next high profile person from banging someone not yet 18.
Binky
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  xyzzy Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:55 pm

This is all so very anger-making. Consent laws exist for a reason--a 15 year old kid is not able to legally consent to have sex with an adult. It is the adult's responsibility to make the right decision. Ephebophilia may not be as demonized as pedophilia, but it's still not legal. I can't imagine why John Smith would risk his life, freedom, and career over such a thing, much less the voice of one of the most famous children's puppets of all time. Do politicians, football coaches, actors/actesses, etc. really think that this sort of shit will just never get out? Seriously?
xyzzy
xyzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:08 pm

a 15 year old kid is not able to legally consent to have sex with an adult.

According to his statement, they didn't have intercourse until he was an adult, though did engage in other activities.

In other news Department of Children and Family Services report states that Ariel Winter should be removed from the custody of her mother and if no suitable guardian exists, become a ward of the state.
biakbiak
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:13 pm

Yeah I somewhat defended him when I thought it was just the one guy and he was 18 but...damn...
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:35 pm

Yup, I'm throwing in the towel on this too. That is icky.
particle_person
particle_person
Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  Coneycat Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:42 am

I'm actually feeling a little gross about the fact my bright-red Honda Fit is named Elmo. When this came out my first thought was "Oh no..." and my second was, "Why didn't I go for the Grover blue instead?"

Coneycat

Back to top Go down

Post  xyzzy Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:43 am

Aww, you name your cars, too? My Accord was Rhonda the Honda and my Fit is Misfit.

I have nothing on topic to contribute. Sorry. =D
xyzzy
xyzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:23 pm

My family names all of its cars! My new Civic is named Walter Horace Vandergelder. Yes, I love Hello, Dolly! unabashedly and Walter Matthau has my eternal love because of that movie. Can't say the same for Babs though.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 28 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 19 ... 28  Next