Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Movies at Home

+95
Shadowlass
draco vulgaris
ariadne
bosoxgirl
Wildog27
PineappleGirl
Coneycat
Poubelle
big chicken
Grainne Mhaol
salamandersam
Raised by wolves
wenchsenior
sen3
puddingcup
PrincessCleo
Never Enough
Bad Username
dreago
Escape
mandalaya
UmaOprah
chibimanda
Fiammetta
Carrie Ann
jensa
Swarley
Luthien
darthtall
pamchenko
ActonBell
FiggyPudding
Agent Sculder
Jamie
Tabby
Raksha
ulkis
epudom
mrinsouciance
The Dude
Menshevixen
Snarryfan
swsa
Matinee
MaddyCat
Jude
Gillian
Miss Moneypenny
xyzzy
TiffanyNichelle
Cutebutpsycho
biakbiak
themis
truecrystal
Corellderaan
RiverThames
tothemax
Eris Rising
laurelin_kit
rivki8699
mokey75
jaraga
Instant Monkeys
Paris, Texas
Kiran
Auroura76
Gallifrey Girl
killershrew
QueenSix
punzy
bbridges
caltrask55
sagitare
Red Wolf
laddical
nikita
Algae
Rhilin
Binky
choubetcha
naughty zoot
mayram
inversed
Unlucky Bear
curryalley
whatthedeuce
BreezyK
Morning Angel
Cynara
eventide82
jcpdiesel21
queenofdenile
blixie
katesti
Putli Bai
99 posters

Page 30 of 40 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 35 ... 40  Next

Go down

Movies at Home - Page 30 Empty Re: Movies at Home

Post  Eris Rising Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:01 am

Saw Ted. Still laughing.
Eris Rising
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:08 am

Yeah I cackled through Ted, though I thought it could have been cut down by at least 30 minutes.

I also watched Lawless and I thought the same thing, it took a really long time to get going and could have cut about 30 minutes and been a bit stronger for it. As it was I love Shia, but his character was dumb as dirt, and I continue to not get Tom Hardy for the most part (I think he's good but doesn't have that super IT that makes you stand up and go gaga). Absolutely great soundtrack though with Mark Lannegan, Emmylou Harris, and Willie Nelson.

blixie
Mod Squad

https://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  mrinsouciance Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:14 pm

Eris Rising wrote:Saw Ted. Still laughing.

I'm still trying to forget I saw it.

mrinsouciance

Back to top Go down

Post  katesti Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:31 am

A League of Their Own is never not delightful, even if it's not seasonally appropriate.

katesti

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:28 am

OH, PISS ON YOUR RED HAT!
Unlucky Bear
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  mayram Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:38 am

Unlucky Bear wrote:OH, PISS ON YOUR RED HAT!

Well, that seems uncalled for...*clutches pearls*

God, I love that movie!

mayram

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:21 pm

Cynara wrote:Oh my God. Chris and Cathy are Treadstone escapees but also JOAN ALLEN'S SECRET CHILDREN. Ultimately they trick her into an empty house where, in a brutally silent fight scene, they shove an arsenic-laced cookie down her throat. Chris waits outside, but Cathy watches her die. As they leave, they torch the place behind them and live PTSDly ever after on an island in Greece. BAM. BLOCKBUSTER.

Truly, this was a role Julia Stiles was made for.
RiverThames
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:12 am

I often think of Jimmy Dugan when I open a cold Coke and blissfully sigh, "Ahhh..."

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Shadowlass Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:14 pm

Family viewings of Scott Pilgrim vs. the World and Pitch Perfect on Christmas. When my younger niece requested Pitch Perfect over Men in Black III or Ice Age III, my brother sniffed, "Do you really think that will be on the level of Men in Black III or Ice Age?" Way to be snotty about popcorn movies, doofus.

Shadowlass

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:54 pm

I've seen Men in Black 3 and Ice Age Whatever. While MIB3 edges out any of the IAs, even if Pitch Perfect was mediocre it'd still be better than those options.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  killershrew Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:16 pm

Cynara wrote:Oh my God. Chris and Cathy are Treadstone escapees but also JOAN ALLEN'S SECRET CHILDREN. Ultimately they trick her into an empty house where, in a brutally silent fight scene, they shove an arsenic-laced cookie down her throat. Chris waits outside, but Cathy watches her die. As they leave, they torch the place behind them and live PTSDly ever after on an island in Greece. BAM. BLOCKBUSTER.

Isn't that basically how it goes anyway?
killershrew
killershrew

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:49 am

I made my husband rent Pitch Perfect and despite his protestations, he was totally into the end song. What a fun movie! Predictable and obvious, but really fun anyway.

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  darthtall Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:59 am

My parents bought me The Sting on blu-ray for Christmas. It's like the format was designed specifically to showcase the unearthly prettiness of early 1970's Newman and Redford, oh my god.

(Also, just by referencing the movie, the song's in your head, so why not have a listen?)

darthtall

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:50 am

I've come to realise that my tastes in entertainment are pretty low-class. Case in point: I just watched the Total Recall remake, and really enjoyed it. Now, it's not a wonderful movie, it's an also-ran already, but it was good fun.

Lots of interesting details about the world, even if they didn't make any sense. A lift through the centre of the earth. Right. That can withstand both heat and gravity. Right. With technology like that, why don't they have outposts on the moon? Or, say, Mars? Why did they even develop that technology, instead of focussing on cleanup technology? Most strange.

So the colony is Australia. Right. But they show no Aussie landmarks. They have maybe one Aussie accent, for a moment towards the end. Well, the influx of refugees probably increased our population to the point where it was overridden. The majority of the population is Asian. Well, that plays into the fantasies of our homegrown nutters. But! The written language is Cyrillic? Which is only used in Eastern Europe? You're telling me that it was easier to head down through Asia and island-hop instead of heading straight west for Britain? There's a lot less water to cross that way. Maybe west and central Europe were all contaminated by that point.

Resources! Gosh, that's a lot of steel used in the construction of the cities. Where did it all come from? Most of our iron ore goes overseas these days, and Britain has been using up its own iron since, well, the iron age. Did it really have that much left? Apparently so.

The hand phones. Implanting a hone in your hand? I love it. But I'm not convinced it would work. Apart from the plausibility of reception through the meat, I just think it would feel really uncomfortable, especially if you happened to hit your hand really hard.

And yet, as I said, I really enjoyed it. Good fun. If you don't mind gratuitous lens flare, of course.

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:31 pm

We watched Dark Shadows last night. I expected unwatchable, so I guess I was surprised. It was pretty terrible, though. And Michelle Pfeiffer just seemed to be channeling Pam from True Blood through the whole movie.
mokey75
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:46 pm

Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol. It was a bit bonkers plot wise, even for Mission Impossible, but it was enjoyable and a fun watch. I have to say that as much as much as I'd probably go running from Tom Cruise in real life (going here by the hyper-intensity he seems to bring to everything to his life, judging by how he seems in interviews and not even going into the Scieno stuff), I do find him very charismatic on screen and he plays Ethan Hunt very well, especially during the stunt scenes. That whole climbing up the building thing had my mother all agog and white-knuckled. Not being great with heights, I wasn't far behind her!

Then we watched Basil, The Great Mouse Detective. Classic Disney. Love it.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  puddingcup Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:31 pm

A couple days ago I saw The Queen of Versailles, because I had just seen Django Unchained and I needed something lighter. It turned out to be much more serious than I expected (the money problems, the fighting, the son's stories about what kind of a father he had, the sales pitches), though there were some funny moments. The wife when she was picking up her rental car at Hertz, oh boy.

A few weeks ago I saw Tiny Furniture. I haven't seen anything else by Lena Dunham, and was curious as to what the big deal was. I still don't know. I thought it was whiny and terribly acted. One tiny good part? There are a lot of casual, "unattractive" underwear scenes, by which I mean, ordinary-looking women walking around looking shlubby and not sexy in their underwear or spanx. So rare, so it's startling and realistic at the same time. One bigger good part? The closing dialogue between the main character and her mother. The rest of the movie I found irritating.

puddingcup

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:44 pm

puddingcup wrote:A couple days ago I saw The Queen of Versailles, because I had just seen Django Unchained and I needed something lighter. It turned out to be much more serious than I expected (the money problems, the fighting, the son's stories about what kind of a father he had, the sales pitches), though there were some funny moments. The wife when she was picking up her rental car at Hertz, oh boy.

I saw that on Netflix and almost clicked on it before it clicked that the David Siegel in that documentary is the same douchenozzle who threatened all of his employees with lay-offs if Obama won re-election.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  puddingcup Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:54 pm

I think it's worth seeing. I knew it was the same guy before seeing it, and he doesn't come off too great in the doc either. He sued the filmmaker after the film was released, because he was unhappy about how he and his business came off. He also backtracked on his Obama comments. But yeah, not really a nice guy.

puddingcup

Back to top Go down

Post  mayram Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:14 am

I just watched Malcolm X for the first time in years, and remembered why that is my favorite of Denzel's performances. I'm not sure if it's because he had so much footage to work with, but he completely nailed the tone of the character.

I also adore Ossie Davis' eulogy at the end, his voice is so soothing and that speech is fantastic.

mayram

Back to top Go down

Post  mialoubug Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:01 pm

puddingcup wrote:I think it's worth seeing. I knew it was the same guy before seeing it, and he doesn't come off too great in the doc either. He sued the filmmaker after the film was released, because he was unhappy about how he and his business came off. He also backtracked on his Obama comments. But yeah, not really a nice guy.

My daughter's English class just watched this in school as a comparison to reading "Walden." i haven't seen it yet but judging by her rants, it seems like an interesting one to pick up.
mialoubug
mialoubug

Back to top Go down

Post  Morning Angel Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:31 pm

puddingcup wrote:I think it's worth seeing. I knew it was the same guy before seeing it, and he doesn't come off too great in the doc either. He sued the filmmaker after the film was released, because he was unhappy about how he and his business came off. He also backtracked on his Obama comments. But yeah, not really a nice guy.

Agreed. It was really interesting. As superficial as the wife comes across, you see how much she wants to be loved by her husband, and he thinks she's an idiot not worth his time. That made me so sad.
Morning Angel
Morning Angel

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Moneypenny Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:45 pm

Morning Angel wrote:

Agreed. It was really interesting. As superficial as the wife comes across, you see how much she wants to be loved by her husband, and he thinks she's an idiot not worth his time. That made me so sad.

I read an interview with the director and she seemed to have a lot of compassion for the nutty wife (not so much the jackass husband), which made me really interested in it knowing it wasn't 100% a schadenfreude project. I may try to watch it tonight.
Miss Moneypenny
Miss Moneypenny

http://daisyrazor.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:22 pm

We watched Ted last night. It was funny enough, but I just kept thinking that Mila Kunis deserved less of a jerk for a boyfriend, and she really should have just cut and run.
mokey75
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Moneypenny Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:04 pm

mokey75 wrote:We watched Ted last night. It was funny enough, but I just kept thinking that Mila Kunis deserved less of a jerk for a boyfriend, and she really should have just cut and run.

Hey, just like real life!
Miss Moneypenny
Miss Moneypenny

http://daisyrazor.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 30 of 40 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 35 ... 40  Next