Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Marvel Cinematic Universe

+64
naughty zoot
Gillian
katesti
Muggsy
darthtall
DarkSpork
Matinee
particle_person
Algae
nazlan
blixie
Coneycat
Swarley
Bad Username
Poubelle
nikita
Instant Monkeys
SarahJanet
Eris Rising
Rhilin
MtOlivePickles
Carrie Ann
sen3
jstilwe
Shalamar
PrincessCleo
Cynara
bookworm
Agent Sculder
dionneshea
Melk
epudom
punzy
pizzagirl20
swsa
Kiran
TiffanyNichelle
QueenSix
BrightEyes
Cutebutpsycho
Escape
Putli Bai
Unlucky Bear
sagitare
Wildog27
Binky
Snarryfan
biakbiak
mandalaya
ActonBell
vwlphb
bbridges
oxymoron
rivki8699
Red Wolf
ulkis
Fiammetta
Raksha
The Dude
RiverThames
Menshevixen
Skyblade
Miss Moneypenny
laddical
68 posters

Page 1 of 24 1, 2, 3 ... 12 ... 24  Next

Go down

The Marvel Cinematic Universe Empty The Marvel Cinematic Universe

Post  laddical Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:52 pm

I know we have an Avengers thread, but I figured with all the news coming out about "Phase Two" this week it might be nice to have a less specific thread to discuss all of the Marvel Studios produced Marvel movies.

As Miss Moneypenny reported in Upcoming Films, the slate for Phase Two is:

Iron Man 3, May 2013

Thor: The Dark World, November 2013

Captain America: The Winter Soldier, April 2014

Ant-Man, TBA

Guardians of the Galaxy, TBA

IGN is reporting that Anthony Mackie is going to be Falcon in Cap 2. While this doesn't completely alleviate the problem of a lack of women and persons of color in the MCU, it's a pretty major step, I think, since Falcon isn't even a B-lister hero in my experience. He was the first black mainstream superhero, but he's never been a marquee solo act. Which is the problem with a lot of minority superheroes - none of them have the brand recognition that's going to drive a $100 million dollar cog in a billion dollar clockwork.

Now if Marvel wanted to be truly gutsy, what they'd do is cast minority for Hank Pym and Ant-Man. It's a toss-up to me whether Ant-Man or Guardians is going to be the bigger risk in this round of movies, but if the three sequels that come up first don't completely fail, I think Marvel could afford to do a race-swap with Ant-Man to increase diversity and the worst that could happen is that it does Hulk/The Incredible Hulk business. Okay, that's not *really* the worst that could happen, but sell this movie as a primer for The Avengers 2 and I don't think it could possibly fail, regardless of the skin color of the lead. And for a movie about Ant-Man, who may be an original Avenger but to the general populace is probably about the same Q-rating as Falcon or Black Panther, Incredible Hulk numbers would actually be pretty respectable, I think.

As for increasing diveristy on the gender divide, hopefully we'll be getting Wasp with Ant-Man, and I'm still holding out hope that Marvel will announce an Agents of SHIELD movie focused on Black Widow and Maria Hill (with optional Hawkeye).
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

The Marvel Cinematic Universe Empty Re: The Marvel Cinematic Universe

Post  Miss Moneypenny Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:22 pm

Black Widow could also play a big role in Cap 2 depending on where they go with the Winter Soldier story. I'm also interested to see if they include Sharon Carter, because the whole "I am dating my wartime girlfriend's grand-niece" seems SO WEIRD to me.

So, bit of a tangent, but Escape sent me (and, you know, the Ha'penny) some adorable Avengers temporary tattoos a few weeks ago, and I was pleasantly surprised that Black Widow was included, and I felt sad about that. Then I realized that in the 25 years since I was a kid, the trope of "Team of Guys, Plus One Token Girl" hasn't changed at all, and I felt even sadder.

I will say, though, that I have been pleasantly surprised by the secondary female characters who've shown up. Pepper, Jane, Darcy, Peggy Carter, and Maria Hill all kick ass in their own ways.

Anyway. The Anthony Mackie news is pretty cool. I wonder if Marvel auditioning black actors is where the rumor of a Black Panther movie came from.
Miss Moneypenny
Miss Moneypenny

http://daisyrazor.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:24 pm

Oh, and I'm just going to throw this out there, completely appropos of nothing other than wanting a Defenders movie so we can get more Ruffalo Hulk:

Liam Neeson is Stephen Strange. Anyone who disagrees can just... well, politely disagree. But inside I'll be screaming.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Skyblade Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:37 am

David Strathairn is my Doctor Strange.

Skyblade

Back to top Go down

Post  Menshevixen Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:43 am

Oh my god, David Strathairn as Strange. GIVE. Or Mark Strong. Also I want the new Defenders line-up. Gina Carano can play Red She-Hulk. Ruffalo Hulk can come along too.

I like Ant-Man, but I would so prefer the Agents of SHIELD movie or at Black Widow solo movie or, hello, a Storm movie. Even a Storm and Black Panther movie! I thought I heard some buzz about a Black Panther film?

But I'm already het up about Winter Soldier. Love love love!
Menshevixen
Menshevixen

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:55 pm

I think the Black Panther buzz came from the auditions they were running for Falcon. Which is fair - T'challa would probably be the more obvious choice to put on film.

And Storm is off limits for the MCU, being tied up in the X-Men property.

I suppose I could buy into David Strathairn.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:40 pm

See, I've got a fond idea of David Tennant as Dr. Strange. But that might be overly fanboyish. I would not complain over Straithairn or Neeson. Well, with Neeson you'd be waiting for him to be all, "Fuck this magic shit, I'm cracking skulls."
RiverThames
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:50 am

The Dude
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:41 pm

When I saw that, I flailed like Kermit. YAAAAAAAAAY!
Raksha
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Moneypenny Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:54 pm

Joss Whedon to write/direct the Avengers sequel AND work on the proposed Marvel Universe TV show.

WOOHOO.
Miss Moneypenny
Miss Moneypenny

http://daisyrazor.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Fiammetta Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:29 pm

AHHHH.

I wonder how much they're paying him.

Fiammetta

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:43 pm

In other news, Joss Whedon recently rocketed to the top of the list of wealthiest Americans.....
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:22 am

Ant-Man, TBA

That sounds like some bottom of the barrel scraping there. Is Ant-man cool??

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:10 am

He's been tainted by some very sub-par writing, but he's one of the original line-up of Avengers. All anyone seems to remember about him anymore is that he hit Janet Van Dyne (the Wasp) while they were married. One moment in a fifty year history.... In the "normal" Marvel Universe, he's been retrofitted as a reaction to that to really play up his pacifism and intellect, almost to the point of making Superman seem bloodthirsty. In the Ultimate universe, they took that one moment and made it the absolute center of his character. In that case, he didn't just hit Janet, he sprayed her with Raid and then ordered a bunch of ants to attack her.

So, when handled well, I think he might work. Especially if they just steer clear of any romance between him and Janet. And the Avengers definitely need Janet, so if it takes an Ant-Man movie to get her on the team, let's do it.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:35 am

ulkis wrote:
Ant-Man, TBA

"Strength of a normal human? These molecules are quivering!"
The Dude
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:10 am

According to Jim Shooter, Hank hitting Janet was in fact an artist's mistake anyway. Amazing how it became the central focus of the character, other than the changing gimmicks.

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  rivki8699 Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:56 pm

Miss Moneypenny wrote:Joss Whedon to write/direct the Avengers sequel AND work on the proposed Marvel Universe TV show.

WOOHOO.

I am super excited for the movie. But also super confused about the tv show being live action - I mean, they're clearly not going to get RDJ, Chrises Helmsworth and Evans etc. for the tv show - so are they going to recast? Or are they not going to use any of the Avengers from the movie + none of the X-men or Spiderman? (I find it hilarious that I know they are canonically part of the avengers - ah the joys of fic.) So how's that going to work?
rivki8699
rivki8699

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:08 pm

It's not going to be an Avengers TV show, it's just going to be set in the MCU. So there will be connections to be made, possible high profile guest starring spots, and numerous references to Stark Industries, SHIELD, and - I speculate - the fall-out from the Ch'tari invasion.

There was, at one point, a TV series in development for Jessica Jones, the main character of the Marvel comic "Alias" (not related to JJ Abrams' spy show). In the comics, she's in a relationship with Luke Cage (Power Man) and they have a child together. I'm not sure if both of them are members of the Avengers now or if it's just Luke, but her most recent appearances have been in Avengers related comics where she and Luke are living at Avengers Mansion and have hired Squirrel Girl as their au pair. So there was, briefly, some rumors going around that the in-development series would be tweaked to tie-in to the MCU. But I haven't heard anything about it in ages.

So I don't know if they're bringing Whedon in to get that concept up and running or if they're going to let him develop something from scratch. But whatever it is, there won't be any re-casting because it will only be tangentially related.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  oxymoron Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:48 pm

Maybe it could be a "Heroes For Hire" sort of thing, or at least folks with connections in that direct: Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Jessica Jones, Colleen Wing, maybe Black Knight or SHe-Hulk.

oxymoron

Back to top Go down

Post  bbridges Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:44 pm

A TV critic was pushing for a She-Hulk TV show where they really used her job as a lawyer to build kind of procedural episodes and then have larger superhero arcs. It kind of made me think of a superpowered version of The Good Wife.

There are a lot of smaller teams that would be cool to cover in a TV show and it is an excellent way to expand the universe without having to take a risk on a movie.
bbridges
bbridges

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:56 am

Hell do The Defenders, won't infringe on any of the movies, fluctuating membership so it's easy to bring in guest stars, a healthy dose of humor and you could build around Doc Strange.
The Dude
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:21 pm

Dear Marvel,

Stop trying to make the Guardians of the Galaxy happen. Nobody cares. Even I, a person who would probably show up to a Power Pack movie, am going to skip that one. You're on a roll right now. Stop trying to fuck it up.

Sincerely,
Raksha

I'm just a bit irritated becaue I went to buy the newest Avengers Assemble issue yesterday and walked past it three times on the shelf because it had GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY plastered across the top of the cover and the Guardians on the cover with the Avengers hidden in the background. I get that Marvel wants to do something a bit different, but if they wanted to forego the usual A-list team that everyone's expecting, they should have gone with Runaways or Generation X. Or hell, if they wanted to do something really unexpected, they should do a Nextwave movie. Nobody would see a straight up comedy coming!
Raksha
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:09 pm

I'm a sucker for cinematic space opera, so I'll be there on day one. Even though I haven't read the comics. But Power Pack or Nextwave would be awesome.

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:42 pm

I care. Rocket Raccoon. I admit, I don't care enough to buy their comic, but I'm looking forward to the movie.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:11 am

ulkis wrote:
Ant-Man, TBA

It helps if you think of him as sort of like Dr. Who, but he also shrinks and talks to ants.
RiverThames
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 24 1, 2, 3 ... 12 ... 24  Next