Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Current Reads

+86
xyzzy
RubyTuesday
salamandersam
allochthonous
emrie
Coneycat
Lurker
Paris, Texas
Jamie
sagitare
maxell131313
Carrie Ann
Poubelle
swsa
The Glen
Rhilin
SarahJanet
Gillian
laddical
Francie Nolan
pinguerin
Luciano
sen3
blixie
mayram
Gilraen
vwlphb
aninnocent
chibimanda
darthtall
bookworm
Pop'n'Fresh
draco vulgaris
Disclaimer
rivki8699
Gallifrey Girl
choubetcha
Tabby
naughty zoot
QueenSix
Genevieve
mialoubug
punzy
snorf
ariadne
dinahmoe
Me Talk Pretty
eventide82
Putli Bai
Swarley
EggSpreader
Binky
Cynara
gannetguts
Algae
stargirl
Red Wolf
Dachelle
MaddyCat
SelfAmused
ulkis
epudom
puddingcup
Jasmine
katesti
queenofdenile
Kiran
inversed
mixtape
paradig_m
Raksha
whatthedeuce
BreezyK
Kookla
particle_person
Bad Username
VodouDoll
mokey75
Menshevixen
Unlucky Bear
big chicken
Instant Monkeys
Jude
bbridges
Shadowlass
Crowbridge
90 posters

Page 11 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 25 ... 40  Next

Go down

Current Reads - Page 11 Empty Re: Current Reads

Post  VodouDoll Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:48 pm

I've had a really good run of books lately. I finished Anna Karenina, which was just as amazing as kiran said it would be. I read both of Catherynne Valenti's Fairyland books, recommended by Raksha. They were so charming and lovely, I adored them. I read If on a winter's night a traveller by Italo Calvino, which was wonderfully cool and weird, and followed it up with the book it inspired, Cloud Atlas, which was one of the most fun novels I've read in a long time. It only took me two days because I couldn't put it down and I enjoyed it much more than the movie. And I've finally read Persuasion, because I realized that I never had, which surprised me. I've read all of Austen's others, so now I've done them all. It was really good, of course.

VodouDoll

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:20 pm

I'm on a true crime kick at the moment, and I'm wrapped up in Judgment Ridge: The True Story Behind the Dartmouth Murders. I must have been about 15 when this case was apparently all over the media, but I can't recall ever even hearing about it! It's so weird that two bright kids who could have done so much with their lives evolved into thrill killers pretty much because they wanted to escape their small Vermont town so badly.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:42 pm

VodouDoll wrote: I read both of Catherynne Valenti's Fairyland books, recommended by Raksha. They were so charming and lovely, I adored them.

Oh, this makes me so happy! I'm glad you enjoyed them!
Raksha
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:29 am

I've been reading John Marsden's Tomorrow When the War Began series. I'm currently on the third book, The Third Day, The Frost. It's about a group of Australian teens who go camping for a week and come back to find Australia has been invaded. They then become guerilla fighters. I'm really surprised its publisher didn't do a "If you liked Hunger Games, try Tomorrow When the War Began" campaign. A lot of the things I liked about Hungers Games is present in this series--a female pov, surviving off the grid, and a well paced plot.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  eventide82 Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:31 am

big chicken, there was a movie made of the first book a couple of years ago that I thought was quite good (though I read the books as a teenager, so I don't know exactly how true to the book they stayed).

ETA: QueenSix!! Thank you for that info about Eva Rice's book. I'm so excited, I thought it was NEVER going to happen!
eventide82
eventide82

http://boredomaboundsbyjulia.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:01 am

The movie version of the first book was what started me reading the series. I thought it was a faithful adaptation and I hope the sequel actually gets made.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  epudom Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:40 pm

On Monday I finished Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell and felt as thought I'd finished a 100 mile trek through the woods with only a very basic map and a small bottle of water. It is an amazing feat of world building, but did it have to be 1006 pages long? I don't think so! Earlier on I finished Gone Girl, and damn, it is a wild ride. I spent all day at work waiting to leave so I could finish the story. I've yet to fully formulate my thoughts on it, but I definitely want to read something else by Gillian Flynn.

After two such contrasting reading experiences, I feel as though I should take a break from books for a couple of days, but on the other hand I'm totally in the reading zone, so I should enjoy it while it lasts.
epudom
epudom

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:58 pm

Oh goodness, I'm reading Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell right now, and am feeling sort of the same way. I really like it! But it's so long! And it's kind of boring! But then cool things happen! But it takes forever and you have to read a lot of parts about gentlemen going to battle and stuff! But clearly that's part of the style! But it is wearying and repetitive and there is basically no plot! But when I'm not reading it I miss it and the cool parts are really cool!
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  choubetcha Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:29 pm

Late to the party on this one, but Furious Love really bummed me out. I bought into Taylor and Burton 100% and to have it ultimately not work because of their alcoholism was so sad. Richard Burton, especially, seemed so tragic to me with his family issues and constant professional disappointment and ruined health. They seemed just perfect for each other and like a hell of a lot of fun most of the time.

Does anyone know what the story is with this supposed last letter he sent Taylor? I am seeing lots of disputes that it existed, which I buy completely, but then where did this story that she was buried with it come from?

choubetcha

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:10 pm

I don't know where the buried with it came from, but Elizabeth herself said the letter existed. I buy it. Just because they were totally that insane.

She also said that he lived they would have gotten married, and probably divorced again, and I totally buy it.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  VodouDoll Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:08 am

I have a weird feeling about Jonathan Strange. One night my subway broke down and I was trapped on the red line between Harvard and Central from 8pm until midnight. I happened to have the book in my bag so I pulled it out and read the whole entire thing in one go. I'd never been so happy to have a long book on me, and that one kept me so engrossed that I hardly noticed the time passing. Anytime I hear that others thought it was too long (which is a common criticism, I think) I feel like I can't weigh in, since it was just long enough for me.

Yesterday I finished How Should a Person Be? by Sheila Heti. It was almost universally lauded by critics, but I really didn't like it. I agreed with James Wood in the New Yorker who called it hapless, incoherent, messy, hideously narcissistic, slack, sloppy, vulgar, pert, disgusted, self-hating, and evasive. And he called the prose ungainly. That's about what I though too.

VodouDoll

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:29 am

MAN. I can't believe you could read that whole thing in four hours. But I am glad you had it along! Because four hours on the damn Red Line? Blaaahhhh. I'm glad it was the exact length you needed at that exact time! It's almost like...magic. ...Or not.

That, by the way, is why I always have a minimum of three magazines, one of which is a New Yorker, on my person when I'm commuting. And the Kindle too if I know what's good for me.
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  VodouDoll Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:55 am

I don't think I read it from scratch, if that helps. I was a hundred or so pages in, probably. But still, I've never been so grateful to a book in my life. It was interesting and long, which were the two things I needed right then.

VodouDoll

Back to top Go down

Post  Menshevixen Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:37 am

I've been reading Arthur & George by Julian Barnes for literally two months. I think this is the longest I've taken to read a book since, like, Middlemarch. It's good, just not something I can read a lot of at once. Definitely will need something fluffy from the library next week. On the other hand, also need to get Sherman Alexie's short story collection Blasphemy.
Menshevixen
Menshevixen

Back to top Go down

Post  Pop'n'Fresh Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:26 am

I just finished reading Gone Girl, purely because of all the discussion about it on this thread. I loved the first half and had to force myself to stop reading so I could sleep, but the second half drove me crazy. I'm about to start reading Sharp Objects.

Pop'n'Fresh

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:33 am

I was floored by the insane awesomeness of Gone Girl and yet couldn't make myself care about Flynn's Dark Places. I put it away after a few tries in December. I'll probably revisit it sometime this year.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:28 am

Dark Places took a bit to get going and the protagonist is really unlikable, at least at first, but I really loved it by the end.

I'm halfway through The Orchardist and I've really liked it but now it seems it's getting bogged down and meandering and I'm losing my will to continue.
naughty zoot
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  choubetcha Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:28 pm

I had mixed feelings on Dark Places but I loved Sharp Objects. I thought it was more straightforward than Gone Girl but in some ways more shocking.

choubetcha

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:28 pm

Finally read Middlesex, which I loved, and Finnikin of the Rock, which I mostly liked. I think Jellicoe Road is pretty much perfect, so maybe my expectations for Finnikin were too high. The exposition was pretty clunky, lots of unnecessary explanations of emotions, tonally confused. But II'm still willing to give the sequels a chance - despite my criticisms, I still wanted to get to the end!

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  katesti Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:30 pm

I liked Dark Places better than Sharp Objects - I had a really hard time with that one, on a few different levels.

katesti

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:43 pm

I plan to try both of Flynn's previous novels this year. I just can't imagine that anyone who wrote something like Gone Girl would be able to bore me. I think I need to be in the right mood for those books though.

Right now, I'm reading Marcus Samuelsson's Yes, Chef. It's as delightful as I hoped, and I'd love to go eat at his Red Rooster restaurant if I visit NYC this year!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:06 pm

Just finished reading Warm Bodies and it was very good. Kiran is right. It is what Twilight could have been if it had decent writing, a sense of humor, and a sense of self awareness.
bookworm
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  mialoubug Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:42 pm

I've been waiting to read "Dark Places" but I just started a Shakespearean tragedy class and first up is "Titus Andronicus." I've never read it, so I'm hoping it will be interesting.
mialoubug
mialoubug

Back to top Go down

Post  punzy Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:56 pm

Yeah, it is definitely interesting. Brace yourself!

punzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Pop'n'Fresh Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:53 am

Well, at any rate Titus is probably the only thing to make Dark Places seem like a happy, fun romp.

Pop'n'Fresh

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 25 ... 40  Next