Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Current Reads

+86
xyzzy
RubyTuesday
salamandersam
allochthonous
emrie
Coneycat
Lurker
Paris, Texas
Jamie
sagitare
maxell131313
Carrie Ann
Poubelle
swsa
The Glen
Rhilin
SarahJanet
Gillian
laddical
Francie Nolan
pinguerin
Luciano
sen3
blixie
mayram
Gilraen
vwlphb
aninnocent
chibimanda
darthtall
bookworm
Pop'n'Fresh
draco vulgaris
Disclaimer
rivki8699
Gallifrey Girl
choubetcha
Tabby
naughty zoot
QueenSix
Genevieve
mialoubug
punzy
snorf
ariadne
dinahmoe
Me Talk Pretty
eventide82
Putli Bai
Swarley
EggSpreader
Binky
Cynara
gannetguts
Algae
stargirl
Red Wolf
Dachelle
MaddyCat
SelfAmused
ulkis
epudom
puddingcup
Jasmine
katesti
queenofdenile
Kiran
inversed
mixtape
paradig_m
Raksha
whatthedeuce
BreezyK
Kookla
particle_person
Bad Username
VodouDoll
mokey75
Menshevixen
Unlucky Bear
big chicken
Instant Monkeys
Jude
bbridges
Shadowlass
Crowbridge
90 posters

Page 25 of 40 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 32 ... 40  Next

Go down

Current Reads - Page 25 Empty Re: Current Reads

Post  Algae Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:09 pm

Gilraen wrote:Have you all read Bellwether by Connie Willis? It's one of her more humorous books and not really science fiction at all (more of a workplace satire and romantic comedy); I thought it was great.

I haven't, but it's on my list. I'll get to it soon.

(It's kind of embarrassing, guys. My local library is awesome. Seriously does not get the credit they deserve for all the wonderful things they do. One awesome thing is how easy they make it to request books online, not only from their system, but the wider, state-wide system. Click a button and they'll send you an email when the book is set aside for you.

I hadn't realized how many books I'd requested lately and some longer-term holds had come in, too. There are 6 new books for me (I still have 3 at home), 2 movies for Krill and a new book for Plankton. There was an entire shelf for us. I could barely hold them all Luckily, our vacation is soon, so I'll read some of these in the car.)
Algae
Algae

Back to top Go down

Post  Tabby Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:20 pm

Have you all read Bellwether by Connie Willis? It's one of her more humorous books and not really science fiction at all (more of a workplace satire and romantic comedy); I thought it was great.
I like Bellwether a lot. Funny and a lot of the satire about the workplace was spot-on. Plus, there are sheep, which are comedy gold.

Tabby
Tabby

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:26 pm

Bellwether is officially on my summer reading list. Thanks as always to all you bookworm snarkers for keeping the wonderful recs coming!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Crowbridge Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:36 pm

I've finally started to tackle A Song of Ice and Fire. I'm about halfway through the first book. Pretty good so far, but I'm intimidated by the number of characters, and I'm hoping I'll be able to make sense of it all.

Crowbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:51 pm

I actually really liked the plots, but I was sick to death of reading about every damn family sigil and the fact that there had to be a million minor characters introduced, most of whom didn't even matter to the stories at hand. Maybe they factor in down the line, but I really don't want the name of every single person involved in a battle.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:07 pm

I read Me Before You. WAAAAAAAAH. I love hate all of you for making me read this stupid beautiful story.
queenofdenile
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jude Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:18 pm

That book....so painful, but so good and thought-provoking!

Jude

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:17 pm

I want that book already. I wish people would read faster so the library can gimme it already.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:06 pm

I wanted to take my time with it but it was due back at the library in 3 days, so I read it as slowly as I could. It's definitely going to stay with me.

The only thing I didn't really care for was
Spoiler:
queenofdenile
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:13 pm

I loved that book so much but read it at COMPLETELY THE WRONG TIME. I wanted like a light romantic charming read and then I was unable to put it down and ended up sobbing like a freak at one am. So good though.

I've requested more JoJo Moyes books from the library because of it.

I'm reading The September Girls by Bennett Madison after reading about it on Culture Vulture. I love mermaids so I'm not even going to lie, that was a huge draw for me, but I am stunned at how good it is. Its super realistic, really sad and kind of dark. And the narrator is male which is unusual for a book like this and the writer has really drawn him well and realistically (probably because he is also a fairly young man himself).

But anyway, if you want good YA that is part of that supernatural romance trend but is actually quite good, and has mermaids this is a good one. However, if you are going to give it to a teenager, I'd recommend an older one. It has language and sexual elements. Which is realistic and well done, but I don't know if I'd give it to my thirteen year old niece.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:42 pm

I read Captain Blood by Rafael Sabatini for the first time. I liked it, but for me Scaramouche is definitely heads and shoulders above it and the other Sabatini still in print, the Sea-Hawk.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:43 pm

I finished Ender's Game yesterday and am wondering if it's worth it to pick up the sequels. I loved the first half of the book, but after Ender
Spoiler:
, it began to drag for me.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  katesti Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:06 pm

Speaking of Ender's Game, a college friend just named her son Ender. Can someone enlighten me on if this is a good plan or a terrible one?

katesti

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:19 pm

He better watch out because he might be the savior of the human race and have to go through hell in military school. That or just be doomed to life as a presumed bully because of his name.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:36 pm

katesti wrote:Speaking of Ender's Game, a college friend just named her son Ender. Can someone enlighten me on if this is a good plan or a terrible one?

It's a terrible one, I think. She should have named the kid Andrew (which is Ender's real name) and then used Ender as his nickname.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Gilraen Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:19 am

katesti wrote:Speaking of Ender's Game, a college friend just named her son Ender. Can someone enlighten me on if this is a good plan or a terrible one?
Terrible; in the later books, his name became the "Adolf Hitler" of the future and nobody would ever have thought to name their kid that. It just seems like a bad omen.

Gilraen

Back to top Go down

Post  mayram Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:19 pm

Thanks to this thread, I've checked out a couple of Tana French novels. I'm halfway through In the Woods...and I literally don't want to do anything else but read it. I stupidly left my lights on during yesterday's monsoon (which happened because I HAD to read the book in my car during lunch hour and somehow left the lights on) and rather than come back into the building to find someone with jumper cables, I elected to call AAA and wait an hour just so I'd have an excuse to read more.

Definitely one of those books that you're dying to get to the end of to find out what happens, but it's so good that you don't want it to end.

Aww, this made my night Mayram! Thanks!

Also, if I could find a job as a personal book shopper, my life would be complete. Sigh.

No, thank YOU for all the great book recommendations! :) I might be hitting up your posts again later in the summer when I run out of the current list of books I've got going.

Somehow every single book I've requested from the library recently came in this week so I've got an impossible supply of reading material. I need to stop using the "place hold" feature as my reading list and just keep a list somewhere else.

I read the first sequel to Remember Me last weekend, I was kinda disappointed in it. I don't think he's cut out for sequel writing, I remember being disappointed in Chain Letter 2 too. I was a little bit interested in the Shari parts, but there was way too much time spent on the "Master" and Pike's thoughts on religion and such. I also didn't really care about the new main characters, I was hoping they'd spend more time visiting the old group.

mayram

Back to top Go down

Post  Shadowlass Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:57 pm

I'm reading Ender's Game, too! I'm actually a little disappointed by it. The dialogue doesn't seem like it would ever be spoken by children, no matter how intelligent they are. (In all honesty, I don't think it would be spoken by adults, either--really stilted.) I'd heard such great things about the book that I included it in a big package of fantasy and sci-fi books I gave my niece for Christmas, and now I kind of want to apologize to her and get her a substitute.

Shadowlass

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:58 pm

I loved the first half and just sped right through it, but the second half was much more of a drag.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Putli Bai Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:00 pm

I've read books two and three in the Ender series (not sure how many more there are), and have almost no recollection of them, other than Card seemed to spend a lot of time up his own ass. There was a lot of pontificating and philosophizing on his end, and sighing and eye-rolling on my end.
Putli Bai
Putli Bai

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:57 pm

I told my cousin to just stop at the first book and not to bother with the others.

There's a college basketball player whose name is Andrew Wiggins and I really want him to run onto the court screaming, "REMEMBER, THE ENEMY'S GATES ARE DOWN!!!"

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  Cynara Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:23 pm

Orson Scott Card is totally the M. Night Shyamalan of sf/fantasy.  One good turn straight out of the gate, and then...bleh.  

(I saw him at a small con at Harvard several years ago and he was a great speaker, erudite and played well to the crowd...in a way that you could totally tell would be far, far less endearing at close range. Everyone else on the panel, to varying degrees, wanted to kill him with their brains.  Especially when he kept saying that he never wrote characters whose morals he agreed with.)

ETA: More specifically, what he said was that once he sees his own views coming out of the mouths of his characters, he immediately changes their viewpoints. Which, given the obvious religion/morality/worldview beatsticks he often ends up with, makes me wonder where he started.

Last edited by Cynara on Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

Cynara

Back to top Go down

Post  punzy Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:06 am

One of (most of?) his characters is basically Jesus (Alvin Maker), so that statement is a little worrying.

punzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:17 am

I somewhat disagree with that. From memory, Speaker for the Dead, Pastwatch, and the Worthing Chronicle were all pretty good. But it's been some time, and I didn't know his personal views back then.

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:25 pm

I tried reading Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close for the second time and still couldn't get through it because Oskar is just too annoyingly precocious.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 25 of 40 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 32 ... 40  Next