Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Current Reads

+86
xyzzy
RubyTuesday
salamandersam
allochthonous
emrie
Coneycat
Lurker
Paris, Texas
Jamie
sagitare
maxell131313
Carrie Ann
Poubelle
swsa
The Glen
Rhilin
SarahJanet
Gillian
laddical
Francie Nolan
pinguerin
Luciano
sen3
blixie
mayram
Gilraen
vwlphb
aninnocent
chibimanda
darthtall
bookworm
Pop'n'Fresh
draco vulgaris
Disclaimer
rivki8699
Gallifrey Girl
choubetcha
Tabby
naughty zoot
QueenSix
Genevieve
mialoubug
punzy
snorf
ariadne
dinahmoe
Me Talk Pretty
eventide82
Putli Bai
Swarley
EggSpreader
Binky
Cynara
gannetguts
Algae
stargirl
Red Wolf
Dachelle
MaddyCat
SelfAmused
ulkis
epudom
puddingcup
Jasmine
katesti
queenofdenile
Kiran
inversed
mixtape
paradig_m
Raksha
whatthedeuce
BreezyK
Kookla
particle_person
Bad Username
VodouDoll
mokey75
Menshevixen
Unlucky Bear
big chicken
Instant Monkeys
Jude
bbridges
Shadowlass
Crowbridge
90 posters

Page 32 of 40 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 36 ... 40  Next

Go down

Current Reads - Page 32 Empty Re: Current Reads

Post  whatthedeuce Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:17 pm

I feel ya, eventide. That drove me nuts, too, though that conclusion felt appropriate for the novel.

Definitely keeping it on my list of books to try again then, mayram!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  mayram Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:39 pm

[quote="eventide82"]I finished Gone Girl last night and I am just so happy to have finished it because

Spoiler:

I loved Gone Girl, but felt the same way!
Spoiler:

mayram

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:24 pm

I'm halfway through A Place of Greater Safety, Hilary Mantel's French Revolution novel. Her prose is as gorgeous as ever, and she evidently enjoys historical novels where everyone is doomed from the outset. But at least with the Cromwell trilogy he's brilliantly sympathetic, even as he does some awful things. Here there are a few too many characters, and I'm not thrilled by any of them. Danton is just a massive bellend, and while I'm fascinated by Robespierre's evolution from "Ban the death penalty!" to "Guillotine everyone!", I'm still kind of looking forward to the fact that everyone will be headless by the end of the novel, whereas I am actively dreading Cromwell #3.
I wasn't a fan. I felt it was slow and felt like nothing happened in the 800 pages that the book consisted of. (Good thing I read an awesome book about the French Revolution right before that, "Viva la Revolution", by Mark Steel, or I would have had not a clue what was going on)

It took me forever but I finally finished The Sunne in Splendour. And it was wonderful. I understand why the book has made so many Ricardians! But really so many characters were so interesting and sympathetic even if they were in opposition to Richard. Penman's Elizabeth Woodville is about 100 times more sympathetic than Phillipa Gregory's despite the fact that she is an obstacle in this book and the heroine of Gregory's.
Yup, that's how I feel about the book - most everyone is sympathetic by turns. I haven't read Gregory's books, although I'm watching the tv show and it's already annoying me it's portrayal of Cecily Neville as super shrewish mother-in-law.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  Algae Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:18 am

Guys, Hour of the Red God was really good. It's murder mystery taking place in Nairobi around the election/fighting of the 1997 election. The detective is a Maasai man who is no longer part of his village, but has the stretched earlobes so he stands out for ridicule sometimes. I've never been to Nairobi, but I had a sense of place as I read it and I could understand the geography - something I can't always say for books placed elsewhere.
Algae
Algae

Back to top Go down

Post  stargirl Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:47 pm

I recently read a new YA book by Carol Snow, Bubble World, that I really enjoyed. I don't want to say too much about the plot, because part of the fun of this book is figuring out the setting and how all the characters fit in with it. It's not a groundbreaking or heart-stopping story like, say, The Hunger Games, but it did have some thought provoking as well as some emotional moments. Anyway, I definitely recommend it.

stargirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Bad Username Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:31 am

The Long War, Stephen Baxter and Terry Pratchett, sequel to The Long Earth. I loved it, I can't recommend this series highly enough. The worldbuilding is incredible, and while there are a few exposition dumps it's not overwhelming.

I also may or may not be doing a re-read of the Anita Blake series. I plan on only going up to about book 6 or so, I think that's where it all unravels - both the story and L.K. Hamilton, by most accounts. I've read the earlier books a bunch of times, but it's just now I'm noticing how cringe-worthy even some of the first books were. I still love them though.

Bad Username

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:15 am

The Long War
I really liked it. However, I didn't love it as much as the first one. I'm not sure why. Once I get my hands back on the first one, I'll reread them back to back, see what I think then.

In other news, I just finished Ex-Heroes. The zombie apocalypse has happened, a group of survivors are protected by superheroes, though there are a few twists along the way. It's good, though I don't know if I'll read the sequels. Maybe after a break. There are some authors I can marathon, some I can't. Actually, I think I'd prefer just a straight superhero novel. While the 'now' story was pretty good, and kept me reading, I really liked the first couple of flashbacks.

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  Bad Username Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:40 am

I have Ex-Heroes on my kindle, I'll get around to it eventually.

Re. The Long War:

Spoiler:

Bad Username

Back to top Go down

Post  salamandersam Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:05 pm

I just finished The Shining Girls and while I liked it, I did not love it. I felt like Harper was a little one dimensional, and certain parts of the story were cliche. Also, I felt the book ended really abruptly.

salamandersam

Back to top Go down

Post  Paris, Texas Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:38 pm

Coneycat wrote:
I'm not an enormous fan of Hamish Macbeth, but should try Agatha Raisin. The prospect of having Penelope Keith read the books to me is enough to make me look for the audiobooks!
The BBC radio adaptations are funny and snarky, Coneycat! Though the books are good but should probably be listened to in order, as Agatha has a career change and a lot of annoying extraneous character have been introduced since about the 15th book. Not that it's stopped me listening to the new one each year, though! Penelope Keith kills it in either format.

Paris, Texas

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:19 pm

I'm reading Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood, & the Prison of Belief by Lawrence Wright. I'm only half way through it and I'm just going "How? WHAT?? How?" constantly. This shit is bananas. I don't know why a large number of these people in leadership positions aren't in prison already.
Raksha
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:45 pm

I just could NOT wrap my mind around how much abuse lots of the leaders receive as well as dole out. It sounds like some crazy ass novel instead of actual fact. I now go by the Scieno centers near my house and get creeped out knowing people were (are?) held prisoner there.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Crowbridge Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:53 pm

Oh, wow. I just finished Eleanor & Park this afternoon, and I was blown away by how beautiful and sad it was. Definitely one of those books that punch you in the gut at the very end. Some writers really know what they're doing.

Crowbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  bbridges Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:42 pm

Raksha wrote:I'm reading Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood, & the Prison of Belief by Lawrence Wright.  I'm only half way through it and I'm just going "How? WHAT?? How?" constantly.  This shit is bananas.  I don't know why a large number of these people in leadership positions aren't in prison already.
I felt like every page in that book was filled with some new completely insane thing! It could have been titled "Scientology: Even Worse Than You Thought."
bbridges
bbridges

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:34 pm

I'm reading Manson: The Life and Times of Charles Manson and it's pretty damn good. Some of what I thought I knew was wrong - his mother wasn't a teenage prostitute - and some was right - his uncle did send him to school in a dress once to toughen him up. What I'm liking best is the way the author has put Manson's life and actions in a historical and social context.
naughty zoot
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  gannetguts Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:26 am

I'm reading Death at Seaworld and jesus this is some harrowing stuff.

gannetguts

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:09 pm

I'm reading Visitation Street and don't quite know what to think yet. The writing is rich in detail and atmosphere, but I don't care for most of the characters at this point. The atory began to pick up for me though once Fadi, the Lebanese liquor store owner, came into the picture. I find him quietly compelling.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Coneycat Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:48 pm

I'm reading George VI by Sarah Bradford. I'm only a few chapters in but it's a nice balance between scholarly and readable.

Coneycat

Back to top Go down

Post  katesti Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:06 am

I finally started Divergent this morning and am on page 301. So. That's happening in my life right now.

katesti

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:40 am

I'm a total Marvel zombie, but I was at the library the other day and saw Batwoman: Elegy by Greg Rucka and J.H. Williams III and figured, what the hell. I actually quite liked it! I don't tend to connect with the DC heroes (at least not the main universe ones. There are quite a few Vertigo and WildStorm books that I've loved), but Kate Kane is pretty awesome. I'd like to see more of her.

Plus, the artwork by J.H. Williams III is gorgeous! I saw on Twitter recently that Brian Michael Bendis reached out to Williams (and writer Kevin Maguire) after they left DC over DC's recent fuckery, so I'm really hoping we'll see some of his work soon over at Marvel.
Raksha
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:45 am

JH Williams III has been one of my favorite artists for decades. The man just refuses to treat comic books like some kind of limitation. Even his "gutters" - the spaces between panels - are absolute works of art. He's always done quirky little series for DC - Chase, Chronos, even Batwoman was always a bit fringe compared to the rest of the Batfam.

I don't know how I feel about him not being at DC anymore. Stupid Dan Didiot.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:45 am

Yeah, his "gutters" and the page layouts in general really impressed me.  It gave the book a really exciting, energetic feel and at times it even seemed like the placement of the panels mimicked the bat-logo, without being literal about it.  It was very different and fun.
Raksha
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  Bad Username Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:11 am

I love Batwoman, and I'm nervous about what Williams' departure from DC means for the book. I hope the character will still be treated well, although given Didio's belief that superheroes don't get happy personal lives she probably won't. Williams just needs to be given his head, without a lot of editorial interference, and he'll come up with great stuff. He's illustrating Sandman: Overture - number one, and number two.

Bad Username

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:28 pm

Today I read In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto by Michael Pollan. I enjoyed it. It put into words far better than I could many of the thoughts and feelings I've been having about "Nutritionism" (thinking of food in terms of being a composition of individual micronutrients instead of as, well, an actual food that's part of a larger food chain) for years. It also plainly stated a lot of the problems and shortcomings of the kinds of research nutritional scientists either prefer or are forced by circumstances to use. Our food system and ways of eating in this country are so screwed up and it's going to take a lot more than individual effort to change that, but his advice to "Eat food. Mostly plants. Not too much" is a good place to start.
Raksha
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  Tabby Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:53 am

I love Michael Pollan's books, Raksha. I just finished his latest, Cook, which discusses four different methods that humans use to prepare their food, with in-depth coverage of specific foods. There are lengthy discussions of barbeque (of the North Carolina variety), cooking with water (i.e., braising and soups/stews and such), baking (lots of fascinating information about bread), and fermentation (pickles and beer!). I found it fascinating.
Tabby
Tabby

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 32 of 40 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 36 ... 40  Next