Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Current Reads

+86
xyzzy
RubyTuesday
salamandersam
allochthonous
emrie
Coneycat
Lurker
Paris, Texas
Jamie
sagitare
maxell131313
Carrie Ann
Poubelle
swsa
The Glen
Rhilin
SarahJanet
Gillian
laddical
Francie Nolan
pinguerin
Luciano
sen3
blixie
mayram
Gilraen
vwlphb
aninnocent
chibimanda
darthtall
bookworm
Pop'n'Fresh
draco vulgaris
Disclaimer
rivki8699
Gallifrey Girl
choubetcha
Tabby
naughty zoot
QueenSix
Genevieve
mialoubug
punzy
snorf
ariadne
dinahmoe
Me Talk Pretty
eventide82
Putli Bai
Swarley
EggSpreader
Binky
Cynara
gannetguts
Algae
stargirl
Red Wolf
Dachelle
MaddyCat
SelfAmused
ulkis
epudom
puddingcup
Jasmine
katesti
queenofdenile
Kiran
inversed
mixtape
paradig_m
Raksha
whatthedeuce
BreezyK
Kookla
particle_person
Bad Username
VodouDoll
mokey75
Menshevixen
Unlucky Bear
big chicken
Instant Monkeys
Jude
bbridges
Shadowlass
Crowbridge
90 posters

Page 31 of 40 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 35 ... 40  Next

Go down

Current Reads - Page 31 Empty Re: Current Reads

Post  allochthonous Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:38 pm

I'm halfway through A Place of Greater Safety, Hilary Mantel's French Revolution novel. Her prose is as gorgeous as ever, and she evidently enjoys historical novels where everyone is doomed from the outset. But at least with the Cromwell trilogy he's brilliantly sympathetic, even as he does some awful things. Here there are a few too many characters, and I'm not thrilled by any of them. Danton is just a massive bellend, and while I'm fascinated by Robespierre's evolution from "Ban the death penalty!" to "Guillotine everyone!", I'm still kind of looking forward to the fact that everyone will be headless by the end of the novel, whereas I am actively dreading Cromwell #3.
allochthonous
allochthonous

Back to top Go down

Post  VodouDoll Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:55 pm

allochthonous wrote:I am actively dreading Cromwell #3.
Ooooh, ditto. That book is going to break me.

VodouDoll

Back to top Go down

Post  bbridges Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:52 pm

It took me forever but I finally finished The Sunne in Splendour. And it was wonderful. I understand why the book has made so many Ricardians! But really so many characters were so interesting and sympathetic even if they were in opposition to Richard. Penman's Elizabeth Woodville is about 100 times more sympathetic than Phillipa Gregory's despite the fact that she is an obstacle in this book and the heroine of Gregory's.
bbridges
bbridges

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:19 am

I'm enjoying The Cuckoo's Calling so, so much.
naughty zoot
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:25 am

naughty zoot wrote:I'm enjoying The Cuckoo's Calling so, so much.
I just bought that for my Kindle, since it was on sale for $6.50. I have two more library books to get through first, but I'm really looking forward to it.
mokey75
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  Swarley Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:27 am

I'm afraid to read it. I tried reading The Casual Vacancy but I just can't get into it. I don't want to have the same problem with The Cuckoo's Calling.

Swarley

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:44 am

I just finished it. I liked it A LOT. I was so-so on the ending, but thought it was very entertaining. I hope she writes a sequel.
Unlucky Bear
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:37 pm

Swarley wrote:
I'm afraid to read it.  I tried reading The Casual Vacancy but I just can't get into it.  I don't want to have the same problem with The Cuckoo's Calling.  
I don't think you will. I didn't bother to pick up The Casual Vacancy, it sounded so meh, but I found Cuckoo's Calling to be very engaging and it kept me up all night finishing it.
particle_person
particle_person
Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:59 pm

I'm looking forward to taking a crack at Cuckoo's Calling myself when the library gets it in.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Tabby Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:04 pm

I finished Blood of Tyrants and I liked the second half better than the first.

Spoiler:
Tabby
Tabby

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:01 pm

Unlucky Bear wrote:I just finished it. I liked it A LOT. I was so-so on the ending, but thought it was very entertaining. I hope she writes a sequel.
Good Reads has it listed as "The Cuckoo's Calling: Cormoran Strike#1" so I'm optimistic on that count. Unless being unveiled has put JRow off.
naughty zoot
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  Francie Nolan Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:17 pm

I also couldn't get into The Casual Vacancy, but I loved The Cuckoo's Calling.  Her writing is well-suited for mystery.  I found her "adult" writing to be well-written, too.  It must be really liberating for her to be able to throw the f-bomb around with abandon.  

There's got to be a sequel!  I really hope she's not put off by being found out.  
Spoiler:

Francie Nolan

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:45 pm

Plus I'm dying to meet
Spoiler:
Unlucky Bear
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:19 pm

I'm reading City of Women, and while I'm not 100% engaged yet, I'm interested enough in the subject matter (resistance in WW2, according to the book jacket at least) that I am going to continue with it.

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:41 pm

I tried that novel last month but just couldn't muster enough enthusiasm for it, inversed.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Algae Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:01 am

I don't remember where I saw it, but I saw William Boyd recommended as an author of mysteries, so I got Waiting for Sunrise from the library.

It is a mystery, but surrounded by existential angst and point of view switching from third person to first person. It takes place before and during World War I.

I liked it when I was reading it, but the first half of the book annoyed me (it took that long to start the trail of the mystery) and when I wasn't reading it, I'd realized how annoyed I'd be by parts of it.

I don't know what to read next. I have Hour of the Red God that I heard recommended on NPR, but I'm not sure I'm in the mood for that. I also have Passages by Connie Willis, but again, that's going to require thinking. Maybe I'll re-read Julia Quinn.
Algae
Algae

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:27 pm

I got Lee Child's 61 Hours from the library the other week. I was in the mood for something entertaining and that wasn't too heavy and it delivered. It was a good read and I found myself eager to finish it to tie up all the loose ends and find out who the culprit was. I know that the Jack Reacher novels get a lot of flack in certain places but I think they're a great read. I'm just not always in the mood for work from the LITERATURE canon, you know?

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  MaddyCat Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:26 pm

VodouDoll wrote:
allochthonous wrote:I am actively dreading Cromwell #3.
Ooooh, ditto. That book is going to break me.
All of this.

I broke and got into the Divergent trilogy. I'm actually quite liking it. I've finished the first and have just begun Insurgent. I like Tris a lot and the pacing, so far, has worked for me. I'm hopeful for this one! Stay good Divergent series!

MaddyCat

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:43 pm

I hope the last installment will be satisfactory and well-paced. Inhate when things get all rushed at the end.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  darthtall Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:35 pm

I've been reading The Emperor of All Maladies, which is so, so good, but is also having the side effect of making me worry that some recent nausea and stomach issues might actually be cancer.

It also makes one SUPER GLAD to not live in the pre-anaesthetic era of medicine. Eurgh.

darthtall

Back to top Go down

Post  MaddyCat Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:12 pm

I loved that book. Some of the history of cancer treatment parts were downright horror movie-esque for sure.

I recommend that book all the time, and when I say it's the biography of cancer, people look at me like I'm nuts. But it's good! I swear!

MaddyCat

Back to top Go down

Post  mayram Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:28 pm

I'm putting off finishing the last 100 or so pages of Kate Morton's The Secret Keeper because I love it SO much and my curiousity about learning the whole story is only tempered by my sadness that the book will be over then.

I loved her other books too, but this one is my favorite by far. As with all of her books, it took me a couple of chapters to get into it but once I got into it, I had a hard time going to work and doing other things besides reading the book. I really hope she writes another one soon!

mayram

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:31 pm

I tried that earlier this year having loved all Morton's other books, and it just didn't move quickly enough for me. I'll probably give it a second chance down the line since I think her writing and plotting is usually superb.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  mayram Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:40 pm

whatthedeuce wrote:I tried that earlier this year having loved all Morton's other books, and it just didn't move quickly enough for me. I'll probably give it a second chance down the line since I think her writing and plotting is usually superb.
I took it out of the library like a month ago (found it accidentally when it was propped up at the desk) and was really excited to read it, but it took me so long to get past the first few chapters.

It gets SO good though, it's like reading someone's juicy diary. I haven't even finished it yet but it's one of my favorite books in recent memory.

mayram

Back to top Go down

Post  eventide82 Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:56 pm

I finished Gone Girl last night and I am just so happy to have finished it because

Spoiler:

Next up, my first foray into David Sedaris' work, which will hopefully be a lot lighter! I have his book of essays, Naked waiting for me at home tonight.
eventide82
eventide82

http://boredomaboundsbyjulia.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 31 of 40 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 35 ... 40  Next