Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Current Reads

+86
xyzzy
RubyTuesday
salamandersam
allochthonous
emrie
Coneycat
Lurker
Paris, Texas
Jamie
sagitare
maxell131313
Carrie Ann
Poubelle
swsa
The Glen
Rhilin
SarahJanet
Gillian
laddical
Francie Nolan
pinguerin
Luciano
sen3
blixie
mayram
Gilraen
vwlphb
aninnocent
chibimanda
darthtall
bookworm
Pop'n'Fresh
draco vulgaris
Disclaimer
rivki8699
Gallifrey Girl
choubetcha
Tabby
naughty zoot
QueenSix
Genevieve
mialoubug
punzy
snorf
ariadne
dinahmoe
Me Talk Pretty
eventide82
Putli Bai
Swarley
EggSpreader
Binky
Cynara
gannetguts
Algae
stargirl
Red Wolf
Dachelle
MaddyCat
SelfAmused
ulkis
epudom
puddingcup
Jasmine
katesti
queenofdenile
Kiran
inversed
mixtape
paradig_m
Raksha
whatthedeuce
BreezyK
Kookla
particle_person
Bad Username
VodouDoll
mokey75
Menshevixen
Unlucky Bear
big chicken
Instant Monkeys
Jude
bbridges
Shadowlass
Crowbridge
90 posters

Page 30 of 40 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 35 ... 40  Next

Go down

Current Reads - Page 30 Empty Re: Current Reads

Post  whatthedeuce Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:49 am

I can't find either of his Rivers of London books at the libraries I frequent. I find thatstrange considering how huge the LA public library network is. I don't wanna have to buy the first novel just to find that I don't like it so I just keeping hoping it'll be in circulation soon enough.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Tabby Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:00 am

I'm reading The Shining Girls. Serial murder plus time travel!

I read The Astronaut Wives Club over the weekend. I enjoyed reading about the wives and the reality of the lives they led (not the sanitized version NASA's PR people were pushing in Life magazine). The rules for astronaut wives were like those for military wives of that era - don't do anything that might hurt your husband's career, put up with their carrying on (and, woo-boy, did those guys carry on!), and maintain the "proud, thrilled, happy" pose for the press. There's a picture in the book of three of the wives during one of the Apollo missions who were holding up signs that said, "Proud," "Thrilled," and "Happy," which cracks me up. Some of the stories are very sad, though, and it's interesting that a large percentage of the marriages have broken up.

That said, there are problems with the execution of the book. It's sloppily edited - needless repetition, choppy flow, and one factual error in the first few pages that made me wonder how many other factual errors there might be. Also, I hate the term "Astrowives," which appears to be an invention of the author.
Tabby
Tabby

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:13 am

I finished up Sarah Dessen's What Happened To Goodbye, which is the third book of hers I've read. She's really excellent at creating realistic characters, but I found that usually results in me reaching a point in the book where I want to shake them and give up reading it. I haven't, but man, I came close this time.

I also read The World Without You, which I liked a lot. It was very wordy, though, and it dragged just a bit in the middle. But I thought it was really lovely overall.

Now I have three library books sitting on my Kindle - The Middlesteins, (which I started this morning), The Last Letter from Your Lover, and The Shining Girls. Good thing I'm on vacation next week.
mokey75
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:39 am

whatthedeuce wrote:I can't find either of his Rivers of London books at the libraries I frequent. I find thatstrange considering how huge the LA public library network is. I don't wanna have to buy the first novel just to find that I don't like it so I just keeping hoping it'll be in circulation soon enough.
There are actually four books. Amazon has extracts. If you like the style, it keeps up. I can't really say too much about the mysteries themselves, I'm not really a connoisseur. However, I bought all four books the moment I could, and read them as fast as I could. So he has to be doing something right IMO.

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:41 pm

Tabby, I felt the same way about the Astronauts' Wives Club. I really wanted to love it and I think it's a great story, but it was sloppily written.
naughty zoot
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:50 pm

Oh, thanks for the heads-up, Red Wolf! I'll read extracts from the first novel and see how I like it.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  choubetcha Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:49 pm

whatthedeuce, can you request that your library purchase the first book? My library buys books I request all the time (although they are ebooks). It does seem really strange that a big library like that doesn't have them!

I have The Shining Girls out for a second time but I think I have to give up. I am just not in the mood at the moment for so much murder. One Crazy Summer was excellent. That is definitely a book that I wish had a film adaptation.

Now I have out Night Film, the second book by the author who did Special Topics in Calamity Physics. I grabbed it automatically when I saw it had come in at the library and am now seeing it's very well-reviewed! So that's exciting. I know there was a lot of hype and subsequent backlash on  Special Topics but I read it a pretty long time after it came out so I didn't have many expectations and I enjoyed it.

choubetcha

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:52 pm

Maybe I can, choubetcha. I had never heard of anyone asking a library to purchase specific books, so I may very well have that option without having been aware of it!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:16 pm

just finished the Tenant of Wildfell Hall and that was definitely my favorite Bronte. The middle part dragged a little (that is, the beginning of the telling of her past) just because I was super into the characters in the beginning part of the book, but whatever, I'm
Spoiler:

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:14 pm

Z: A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald, which is quite good so far. I read Nancy Mitford's biography of her back when I was a teenager and ever since she's been an object of fascination for me. What I didn't fully comprehend back in the day (no doubt because of my own age then), which this book makes very clear, was how awfully young she was during their salad days.
naughty zoot
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:31 pm

I'll be curious to see what you think of it when you finish it, naughty zoot. I read it a while back and liked it, but I thought it was a bit rushed in the last third or so.
mokey75
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  epudom Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:45 pm

Started reading Italo Calvino's If On A Winter's Night A Traveler yesterday, and in retrospect, I should've realised that reading such a convoluted postmodern book whilst doing an intensive training course was not one of my smarter ideas. I'll postpone it until the weekend when I should hopefully have the necessary brain power to continue.
epudom
epudom

Back to top Go down

Post  VodouDoll Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:39 pm

epudom, I loooove that book. I hope you enjoy it!

VodouDoll

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:40 pm

Finished The 5th Wave at lunch today. Really enjoyed it. When I first started it I stayed up half the night reading it until I got to a point where I could stand to put it down. The descriptions of the destruction of earth (not a spoiler -- it's about the aftermath of an alien invasion) really got to me.

I'm planning on reading The Ocean at the End of the Lane next, I think.
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  emrie Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:04 pm

Has anyone else read Beautiful Ruins? I picked it up on the recommendation of a friend; I had overlooked it as a more light summer chick-lit, which it is not. In fact, I devoured it all week, stayed up past 3am on Saturday to finish it, and Harry-Potter-sobbed through the last chapter. Not because it was depressing, I was just moved. It's been a long time since I felt this way about a book.

emrie

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:48 pm

I just got through The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P., and while I wanted to slap Nate every other second, I thought the character and his internal ramblings and insights were often astute and entirely plausible. I felt like I was actually bouncing around a guy's brain snd seeing things from a perspective so different from my own.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  eventide82 Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:53 pm

I am about halfway through Gone Girl, and while I think Nick is a dick, it's a pretty engrossing, fast read. Looking forward to figuring out the "twist" I've read about. I have my suspicions already, but am resisting reading spoilers online to see if I'm correct.
eventide82
eventide82

http://boredomaboundsbyjulia.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Gillian Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:34 pm

I hated Nick SO SO SO SO MUCH. Like, seriously. So much. I didn't care what he did or didn't do, I just wanted him to suffer. He doesn't even remind me of any of my exes, so I don't really know what that was about. My feelings are my feelings.

Loved that book, though. It read like a really twisted soap opera, which is right up my alley.

Gillian

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:36 pm

So, I mostly really liked Z: A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald, and I agree, mokey, that the end seemed kind of rushed. I also found it odd that a novel, which is basically about viewing Zelda through a "Feminine Mystique" lens, literally begins and ends with her relationship with Scott.
naughty zoot
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  Tabby Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:20 pm

The latest in the Temeraire series, Blood of Tyrants, was just published earlier this month, and I started it yesterday. I'm not wild about a major part of the plotline of the opening section, but I hope the problem gets resolved soon.

I think there's only one more book after this one in the series? I thought I read somewhere that Naomi Novik was planning on nine books.

I read The Shining Girls last week and liked it a lot. I thought the time-travel twist in a serial-killer novel was well done.
Tabby
Tabby

Back to top Go down

Post  Gilraen Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:56 pm

I read a spoiler for Blood of Tyrants that said (re the beginning of the book)
Spoiler:

Gilraen

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:00 pm

I like The Shining Girls so far, but it just seems so random that this one house allows the killer to travel through time. I think if there were other sci-fi or supernatural elements in the story, it would be easier for me to accept the time travel thing, but the house has that capability for no reason, which bugs me.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Tabby Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:51 pm

Whatthedeuce, I'll be interested to hear your thoughts when you get to the end.

Gilraen, the spoiler you read was correct. Read on for more info, if you like:

Spoiler:
Tabby
Tabby

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:22 pm

Tabby, I loved the jumping back and forth between different time periods, and I thought the "shining girls" were sketched out quite vividly even though most appeared so briefly before being murdered. However, I just ultimately was really bothered by the idea of the House being the only supernatural/sci-fi element in the novel. I wanted to accept it without explanation, but I couldn't because the rest of the story was so normal and grounded that to have that one hugely weird  factor just felt all the more implausible. Also,
Spoiler:

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Tabby Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:16 pm

I didn't care for that bit you have spoilered, either, whatthedeuce, and the story could have been just fine without it.

Spoiler:

Tabby
Tabby

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 30 of 40 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 35 ... 40  Next