Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Current Reads

+86
xyzzy
RubyTuesday
salamandersam
allochthonous
emrie
Coneycat
Lurker
Paris, Texas
Jamie
sagitare
maxell131313
Carrie Ann
Poubelle
swsa
The Glen
Rhilin
SarahJanet
Gillian
laddical
Francie Nolan
pinguerin
Luciano
sen3
blixie
mayram
Gilraen
vwlphb
aninnocent
chibimanda
darthtall
bookworm
Pop'n'Fresh
draco vulgaris
Disclaimer
rivki8699
Gallifrey Girl
choubetcha
Tabby
naughty zoot
QueenSix
Genevieve
mialoubug
punzy
snorf
ariadne
dinahmoe
Me Talk Pretty
eventide82
Putli Bai
Swarley
EggSpreader
Binky
Cynara
gannetguts
Algae
stargirl
Red Wolf
Dachelle
MaddyCat
SelfAmused
ulkis
epudom
puddingcup
Jasmine
katesti
queenofdenile
Kiran
inversed
mixtape
paradig_m
Raksha
whatthedeuce
BreezyK
Kookla
particle_person
Bad Username
VodouDoll
mokey75
Menshevixen
Unlucky Bear
big chicken
Instant Monkeys
Jude
bbridges
Shadowlass
Crowbridge
90 posters

Page 15 of 40 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 27 ... 40  Next

Go down

Current Reads - Page 15 Empty Re: Current Reads

Post  whatthedeuce Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:40 pm

Oh, you will get a case of the sadz by the conclusion of the novel. That is for sure.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Tabby Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:34 pm

I read The Age of Miracles over the weekend. Couldn't put it down. It's yet another YA post-apocalypse novel, but it has a different "feel" than others. Things seem to happen quietly - a new Bad Thing crops up, and people deal with it or don't, and the details of living go on. In the Life as We Knew It trilogy, for example, I felt anxious all the time I was reading, wondering what horrific calamity would show up when I turned the page. In Miracles, I wanted to know what happened next (in fact, I only stopped reading Friday night when I kept falling asleep), but didn't have a hole in the pit of my stomach. I'm not sure I'm making sense. Anyway, highly recommended.

In case you're wondering, the apocalypse in this case is the slowing of the earth's rotation.
Tabby
Tabby

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:53 pm

I just want to say that as much as I love all you Snarkers, I hate all of you right now for letting me read The Fault in our Stars. I have read it in one day and it took two dogs sitting on my legs and a third of a tub of Ben & Jerry's Phish Food ice cream to get me through the second half of the book. I am now sitting here, tear stained and blowing my nose on a linen napkin, utterly destroyed. DESTROYED!

I am glad I read it though.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  katesti Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:50 pm

Awwwww, QueenSix. Hugs to you.

katesti

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:07 pm

Thanks, katesti. I think one of things about the book is that, while I don't have cancer and I would never assume to know how that affects a person, I do know what it's like to have a chronic illness where you worry about this aches and pains, afraid this is the beginning of the end of remission and how living with the effects of the illness, you have to discover a new normal, so there were parts of it that really hit me in the feelings.

But it is an excellent book and I'm happy to have read it.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  Jude Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:34 pm

whatthedeuce wrote:The Chaos Walking trilogy really is just a series of truly awful shit happening to some young people. I love it from start to finish though.
I pretty much loved it too, except for when
Spoiler:
I almost took to Twitter to do a HOW COULD YOU?? to Patrick Ness. I swear, if he had
Spoiler:
he and I would have had words for sure.

Jude

Back to top Go down

Post  Bad Username Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:45 am

Gah, stop dredging up memories, Jude! Now I have to suppress again.

Bad Username

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:43 pm

I thought that move was so right for the novel though, Jude. Every other page involves Todd's world going to shit, so it made sense to me and really just upped the emotional stakes some more.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:49 am

Started one of Susan Scarlett's (aka Noel Streatfeild) books, Peter and Paul. I have all the ones available from Greyladies and figured it was time I actually read one of them.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  Gilraen Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:16 pm

I didn't know Noel Streatfeild had a pseudonym (or real name?). I loved her books when I was a kid; is this what her adult novels are published under?

Gilraen

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:14 pm

Streatfeild hated that she had to sell out and write books for money so she wrote twelve romances under Susan Scarlett. I've only read Poppies For England which is a theater company performing at a family seaside resort post-WWII, but I liked it. Peter and Paul are about twins Petronella and Pauline who get jobs with famed clothing designer David Bliss and romantic shenanigans ensue.

You can read the book descriptions at the Greyladies Publishing site.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  Bad Username Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:18 am

I finished A Monster Calls and yes, I did shed a tear. It was beautifully written, and I love when writers write about stories, if that makes sense.

Bad Username

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:06 am

I'm nearing the end of Those Across The River and, man, is it creepy. It takes place in Georgia during the Depression. A former college professor and his not-quite-wife inherit a house in the small town where his great-grandfather owned a plantation until his slaves revolted and killed him. It takes a while for the horror portion of the story to kick in but the writing is so lovely it doesn't matter. It's sort of Shirley Jackson by way of Flannery O'Connor.
naughty zoot
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  dinahmoe Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:13 am

naughty zoot wrote:I'm nearing the end of Those Across The River and, man, is it creepy. It takes place in Georgia during the Depression. A former college professor and his not-quite-wife inherit a house in the small town where his great-grandfather owned a plantation until his slaves revolted and killed him. It takes a while for the horror portion of the story to kick in but the writing is so lovely it doesn't matter. It's sort of Shirley Jackson by way of Flannery O'Connor.
Ooh, right up my alley. Just bought the ebook. I am enjoying the HELL out of Terry Francona's autobiography, co-written with Dan Shaughnessy (who I usually hate like it's my JOB). Tito is such an engaging character, with an amazing insight into what makes ballplayers tick. It's a fun read, especially since it references people I know in real life.
dinahmoe
dinahmoe

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:06 pm

Bad Username wrote:I finished A Monster Calls and yes, I did shed a tear. It was beautifully written, and I love when writers write about stories, if that makes sense.
I think I know what you mean, and yes, I enjoy that, too! It's as if the writer is letting us out of the story a bit and into his/her own real world by showing us part of what goes into writing a piece of fiction. I like when authors get all meta on the reader.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  MaddyCat Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:04 am

Into Where'd You Go, Bernadette?, which is just a delight, pure and simple. I was chuckling on my bus ride this morning and then suddenly gasped aloud and I KNOW the woman next to me scooted over a bit and gave me the side-eye. Whatevs.

MaddyCat

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:19 am

I read Where'd You Go, Bernadette? a couple of months ago, and I thought it was hilarious. I think I read it immediately after Tell the Wolves I'm Home, actually, so it was much needed.

I'm almost done with The Light Between Oceans, and it's heartbreaking and infuriating and wonderful all at once. I go from being really, really angry at the characters, to feeling so, so sorry for them.
mokey75
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:53 am

I love Kate Morton's first three novels, but for some reason, The Secret Keeper is just not holding my interest.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  dinahmoe Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:34 am

Currently reading the Morton bio of Tom Cruise, and...well...holy crap. He paints Nicole Kidman in a pretty damning light, but I am liking the HELL out of her in contrast.
dinahmoe
dinahmoe

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:50 pm

Reading John Douglas and Mark Olshaker's latest Law & Disorder, which is 40% retread of their previous books. It's a little odd because half of the retread is a pro-death penalty paean, when the rest of the book is about people falsely accused/convicted of crimes, including death penalty cases. I enjoyed the non-retread, because I liked the way Douglas lays cases out. The ones they retalk about in this book are Jon Benet Ramsey and Sedley Allen, and the new ones are Cameron Todd Willingham, the West Memphis Three, and Amanda Knox. It's a concise summary of recent developments in the WM3 case, but if you want background on it, read Mara Leveritts Devil's Knot. Similarly, the Knox case chapter is a summation of Nina Burleigh's Fatal Gift of Beauty book.
Binky
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  katesti Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:43 pm

Oh my Lord, you guys, Claire Bidwell Smith's The Rules of Inheritance is brutal in an absolutely beautiful way.

katesti

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:12 am

The description of a book as being brutal or harrowing tends to attract my attention, so I will have to look into this Rules of Inheritance you speak of, katesti.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  katesti Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:40 am

wtd, it's a memoir written about the loss of her parents - they were both diagnosed with cancer within a few months of each other when she was 14 and were both dead by the time she was 25. It's written in a non-linear fashion, with each section written around one of the five stages of grief. It's a really beautiful meditation on grieving.

katesti

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:32 pm

I'm pained just reading your synopsis. That book sounds like the epitome of "brutal," quite frankly.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  mayram Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:19 am

whatthedeuce wrote:I love Kate Morton's first three novels, but for some reason, The Secret Keeper is just not holding my interest.

Oh, she has a new one out?

To be honest, I had trouble getting into all of her books even though I ended up loving all of them. For some reason, it was just really slow going to get into them and I'm glad I hung in there to get to the end because it was always worth it.

mayram

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 40 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 27 ... 40  Next