Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Current Reads

+86
xyzzy
RubyTuesday
salamandersam
allochthonous
emrie
Coneycat
Lurker
Paris, Texas
Jamie
sagitare
maxell131313
Carrie Ann
Poubelle
swsa
The Glen
Rhilin
SarahJanet
Gillian
laddical
Francie Nolan
pinguerin
Luciano
sen3
blixie
mayram
Gilraen
vwlphb
aninnocent
chibimanda
darthtall
bookworm
Pop'n'Fresh
draco vulgaris
Disclaimer
rivki8699
Gallifrey Girl
choubetcha
Tabby
naughty zoot
QueenSix
Genevieve
mialoubug
punzy
snorf
ariadne
dinahmoe
Me Talk Pretty
eventide82
Putli Bai
Swarley
EggSpreader
Binky
Cynara
gannetguts
Algae
stargirl
Red Wolf
Dachelle
MaddyCat
SelfAmused
ulkis
epudom
puddingcup
Jasmine
katesti
queenofdenile
Kiran
inversed
mixtape
paradig_m
Raksha
whatthedeuce
BreezyK
Kookla
particle_person
Bad Username
VodouDoll
mokey75
Menshevixen
Unlucky Bear
big chicken
Instant Monkeys
Jude
bbridges
Shadowlass
Crowbridge
90 posters

Page 21 of 40 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 30 ... 40  Next

Go down

Current Reads - Page 21 Empty Re: Current Reads

Post  whatthedeuce Thu May 02, 2013 9:59 pm

QueenSix, there was something I read last year that I knew had a sequel due out but couldn't remember the title so thank you!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  choubetcha Wed May 08, 2013 5:11 pm

I thought I didn't care much about China Mieville after reading Kraken (which I liked but wasn't all that moved by), but The City and the City really lived up to its hype!

choubetcha

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Wed May 08, 2013 6:15 pm

I finished Out of the Easy last week and thought there was a solid story and some lively characters at the core, but the prose and dialogue lacked subtlety and finesse. John Lockwell was pretty much a cartoonish, moustache-twirling villain.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Pop'n'Fresh Thu May 09, 2013 8:41 am

Halfway through The Night Circus and the writing is so magical.

Pop'n'Fresh

Back to top Go down

Post  Menshevixen Thu May 09, 2013 9:50 am

Finally got my hands on Quintana of Charyn! Also recently read When We Wake, which was fun, and I'm looking forward to the sequel.
Menshevixen
Menshevixen

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Thu May 09, 2013 5:04 pm

I'm reading an English translation of the Spanish bestseller The Shadow of the Wind, and the writing is gorgeous! I'm also about to start Jurassic Park, which I've never read before.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa Thu May 09, 2013 8:05 pm

Possibly reading Room by Emma Donoghue in the midst of all this press about the Cleveland kidnappings was a bad idea. But I couldn't put it down and I can't stop thinking about it.
swsa
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile Thu May 09, 2013 8:15 pm

Reading Jodi Picoult out of curiosity and it is just as Picoulty as I expected, if not moreso. Ugh, Handle with Care is the kind of story that could be really interesting if there weren't a zillion subplots thrown in there and all the drama dialed up to eleventy.
queenofdenile
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys Thu May 09, 2013 9:29 pm

swsa wrote:Possibly reading Room by Emma Donoghue in the midst of all this press about the Cleveland kidnappings was a bad idea. But I couldn't put it down and I can't stop thinking about it.
I've been thinking about that book a lot with the news this week.
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha Thu May 09, 2013 11:44 pm

I tried reading Neuromancer by William Gibson and just couldn't do it. I got about half way through and still couldn't remember who all the characters were and basically gave no fucks about anyone or anything in the story, so I quit. I think part of the problem is that so many of the tropes in this book which were probably shiny and interesting in 1986 and were subsequently stolen wholesale from this book have been used in so many other books I've read that it just seemed irritating and tiring. Especially the part where people prefer to live in a virtual world and fetishize tech and have all this contempt for their "meat" bodies? Yeah, so sick of that shit. Have no patience for it.

Meh. Moving on.
Raksha
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Fri May 10, 2013 12:05 am

swsa wrote:Possibly reading Room by Emma Donoghue in the midst of all this press about the Cleveland kidnappings was a bad idea. But I couldn't put it down and I can't stop thinking about it.
Oh, that book is so creepy! I had a lot of problems with it, but the premise itself is an absolute knockout!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf Fri May 10, 2013 12:28 am

I like Neuromancer. Even when I first read it in the 90's, I was familiar with the subject. Even so, I really enjoyed it. However, I haven't been able to finish anything else by Gibson.

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  Tabby Fri May 10, 2013 10:19 am

I started Stephen King's Under the Dome last night, so I can have it read before the mini-series in June. It's pulled me into the story pretty quickly.

I'm also reading G.J. Meyer's The Borgias. When the people in the book have names like Borgia, Sforza, de Medici, and Mallatesta, you know you're in for some world-class skullduggery and mayhem. Ah, Renaissance Italy.
Tabby
Tabby

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed Fri May 10, 2013 10:27 am

That's a shame, Raksha. Neuromancer is one of my favorites, but I read it in high school, before the cyberpunk craze, so it was so fresh and different. I wonder if I'd still like it if I read it for the first time now.

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot Fri May 10, 2013 10:59 am

Just finished Reconstructing Amelia, which was really good and basically about every nightmare the parent of a contemporary teen could have. Amelia, a honors student at a prestigious private school, is accused of plagiarism on a paper and jumps off the roof of her school, killing herself. But then her mother gets an anonymous text saying, "Amelia didn't jump." There's Internet gossip and bullying and secret clubs and teen sex and love and more secrets. Big thumbs up.
naughty zoot
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile Fri May 10, 2013 11:58 am

I'm putting in a request at the library right now. Thanks, naughty_zoot!
queenofdenile
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  SarahJanet Fri May 10, 2013 7:12 pm

Ooh, I just started that yesterday. Possibly a bad choice to read while pregnant!

SarahJanet

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Fri May 10, 2013 7:43 pm

I have it in my reading list but need to throw it into my library queue immediately!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  bbridges Sat May 11, 2013 10:40 pm

Tabby wrote:I started Stephen King's Under the Dome last night, so I can have it read before the mini-series in June. It's pulled me into the story pretty quickly.

I'm also reading G.J. Meyer's The Borgias. When the people in the book have names like Borgia, Sforza, de Medici, and Mallatesta, you know you're in for some world-class skullduggery and mayhem. Ah, Renaissance Italy.

Is the Meyer Borgia book good? I've heard mixed things. I just finished up Christopher Hibbert's The Borgias and Their Enemies and Sarah Bradford's Lucrezia biography and liked both of those. (I may have gotten a little obsessed in light of the new season of The Borgias.)
bbridges
bbridges

Back to top Go down

Post  dinahmoe Sat May 11, 2013 11:49 pm

naughty zoot wrote:Just finished Reconstructing Amelia, which was really good and basically about every nightmare the parent of a contemporary teen could have. Amelia, a honors student at a prestigious private school, is accused of plagiarism on a paper and jumps off the roof of her school, killing herself. But then her mother gets an anonymous text saying, "Amelia didn't jump." There's Internet gossip and bullying and secret clubs and teen sex and love and more secrets. Big thumbs up.
You are bad for my wallet. Just bought the nook edition, based on your recommendation.
dinahmoe
dinahmoe

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Sun May 12, 2013 3:07 pm

The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making was great. I love involved narrators.

Actually I've been rereading some YA that I haven't read since I was a kid as well. The Witch of Blackbird Pond and Catherine, Called Birdy both held up and I enjoyed them but I liked Catherine better. Witch of Blackbird Pond was good but the part where it being a YA book failed for me was I wished there was more of it, heh. I re-read Anne's House of Dreams too but I always re-read the Anne books.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot Sun May 12, 2013 4:13 pm

You are bad for my wallet. Just bought the nook edition, based on your recommendation.
Ha! Cause I just picked up Going Clear based on yours.
naughty zoot
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed Sun May 12, 2013 6:35 pm

Bitterblue took some time to bring me in but now I think I'm on board. Cashore does intrigue well.

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha Sun May 12, 2013 10:39 pm

ulkis wrote:The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making was great. I love involved narrators.

Yay! I'm so glad you liked it!
Raksha
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  Algae Mon May 13, 2013 9:51 am

I just finished What Matters in Jane Austen?: Twenty Crucial Puzzles Solved Read. Each chapter covers one question about Jane Austen's books, like "who doesn't speak" and "what does Jane Austen mean when characters blush?" It was a more scholarly approach to Austen, but I think it will make my next readings of her books, especially Emma, more interesting.
Algae
Algae

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 21 of 40 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 30 ... 40  Next