Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sleepy Hollow

+48
Crackie
Putli Bai
pinguerin
Instant Monkeys
Grainne Mhaol
Shadowlass
Genevieve
formerlyrandom
Heather
Cynara
GoodbyeWithWords
MtOlivePickles
gannetguts
punzy
PrincessCleo
shanndee
Muggsy
SNeaker
Coneycat
ichabotcrane
Miss Moneypenny
big chicken
Carrie Ann
Corvus
jennlynnster
rivki8699
Agent Sculder
chibimanda
biakbiak
Unlucky Bear
Snarker
dionneshea
Raised by wolves
Shalamar
QueenSix
RiverThames
bookworm
TiffanyNichelle
blixie
sagitare
naughty zoot
laddical
Kiran
ActonBell
jensa
particle_person
Gallifrey Girl
dreago
52 posters

Page 1 of 24 1, 2, 3 ... 12 ... 24  Next

Go down

Sleepy Hollow Empty Sleepy Hollow

Post  dreago Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:20 am

Do we seriously not have a thread for this crackilicious show? The pilot was such giddy fun! Sure there was one or two times that it stretched even my levels of belief but overall it had thrills and chills and POC's aplenty! Add some high angst and this might end up being my new Buffy.

Why even pretend, I've already added to my tumblr tags.

dreago

Back to top Go down

Sleepy Hollow Empty Re: Sleepy Hollow

Post  Gallifrey Girl Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:58 am

I enjoyed it and will keep watching!  I enjoyed all the actors, Ichabod is mighty fiiiiiine.

I thought the headless effect was very well done, (and when he was sitting in the wingback chair but you couldn't see him, because...headless, was hilarious) and the demon thing creeping up on John Cho and then going in the mirror was cool.

Last edited by Gallifrey Girl on Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

Gallifrey Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:05 am

I really liked the Pilot. Even if Sleepy Hollow looks nothing like the real Sleepy Hollow (which is a whole lot prettier). The special effects with the devil at the end were pretty good. Nothing like a blurry half-seen image for creepiness.

I also think it's interesting how the Sleepy Hollow legend is evolving over time, changing with retellings which are building on each other.
Spoiler:

Also, the bit at the end about the time period for the war being 7 years made me grin. Seven is such a nice number of seasons for a show.
particle_person
particle_person
Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  jensa Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:08 pm

jensa
jensa

Back to top Go down

Post  ActonBell Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:45 pm

I love that this seems to be written on some heavy dosage of controlled substances. The pilot was ridiculous and absurd and hilarious -- I thoroughly enjoyed it!

It bummed me out to see comments on tumblr that this was the politically correct/social justice warrior alternative to Supernatural -- I think the two shows are completely different (although both pretty campy). Although I think Supernatural is problematic, it doesn't make a lot of sense to me to compare the two. Why does call out culture have to set up these false equivalencies?
ActonBell
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:19 pm

Because Tumblr. Its like how apparently people can't enjoy Sherlock and Elementary and how everyone was so sure Smash would outdo Glee, or any other somewhat thematically similar show. Its like the Highlander for fandom. There can only be one.

On topic. This show is fun and Ichabod could get it. Its nice to see that Orlando Jones is getting work too.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:01 am

particle_person
particle_person
Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:24 am

Dude has 54 credits on IMDb. Not bad for dying several decades before the invention of cinema.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:47 am

What's clear from the credits is that Sleepy Hollow has been done to death (so to speak), but nobody is interested in Rip van Winkle, unless you're counting Ichabod's wakeup. You'd think a time-travel story would have done better than it has.
particle_person
particle_person
Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:28 am

Just watched the premiere based on this thread and it was exactly what I needed after a long, tiring, semi-stressful week. Thank you, Snarkers and Hulu Plus.
naughty zoot
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  sagitare Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:16 pm

naughty zoot wrote:Just watched the premiere based on this thread and it was exactly what I needed after a long, tiring, semi-stressful week. Thank you, Snarkers and Hulu Plus.
God, yes. Even watching it last night at 1.30 in the morning after a long shitty week and when I was dead tired, I got into it and thought it was tons of fun and tremendously enjoyable, due in no small part to ridiculous appeal of Icabod/Tom Mison. I mean, holy cow people, that man is delicious. Mison was just going for it, bless his heart. I loved his reaction to Abbie's talk of leaving Sleepy Hollow - he actually squeaked - and then his hand shooting up from behind the car after the shoot-out ("I'm all right!") and then the fist. ADORABLE.

I liked the idea of the Horseman being one of The Horsemen. The writers are aiming high, gotta give them that. Go big or go home! And I also thought some of the effects were genuinely creepy, like the end bit with the demon and the mirror. That really startled me - well played, show!

This is totally my new "don't think too hard/just enjoy the pretty and have fun" replacement for Once Upon A Time (and Supernatural, for that matter). I hope it sticks around.
sagitare
sagitare

Back to top Go down

Post  Gallifrey Girl Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:04 pm

I whined in my post upthread about being spoiled for something in the trailer. It should have occurred to me that people who hadn't already watched Sleepy Hollow might've checked out the thread anyway, in which case, *I* was the one doing the spoiling! And as someone who is profoundly spoiler-phobic, I hate to think that I might've thoughtlessly spoiled someone. Many apologies if that was the case!

Gallifrey Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:07 pm

I just watched it & had so much fun: the ending creeped me out!

The Legend of Sleepy Hollow was one of my favourite short stories growing up. It's frightening (well, to me!) yet funny, which is what this show has captured.

I will be tuning in.

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:16 pm

So I totally missed that Orlando Jones character is Captain Irving. Ha.

I can't wait to see if they can sustain the whirlygig of fun, and for how long.

blixie
Mod Squad

https://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  TiffanyNichelle Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:40 pm

blixie wrote:So I totally missed that Orlando Jones character is Captain Irving. Ha.

I TOTALLY MISSED THAT! I love that.
TiffanyNichelle
TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:26 am

I don't understand the law enforcement agency in this story. Who is Captain Irving captain of? A sheriff is not subordinate to anyone except perhaps the citizens of the county that elected him and the county executives. Clancy Brown (god, what a waste offing him so quickly) would have been the big fish in his little pond. If some crime warranted involvement by some branch of Homeland Security, they could claim jurisdiction, but that wouldn't make any agents Abbie's superiors, able to threaten her with suspension. And if they're cops from the actual city of Sleepy Hollow, which is the impression I get, they still wouldn't have any sway over the sheriff or his deputies because they're two separate jurisdictions.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:12 am

I KNOW. The only thing I could think of is that he was the county sheriff, but that the city of Sleepy Hollow had its own police force? Still doesn't clear up what you said.
bookworm
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:49 am

Plus there was the total CrazyTown logic of, "Well, I guess we'll have to have a special task force of you, Abby, the only non-dead person in the Sheriff's office, and the crazy-pants guy who claims he's a time-traveller. Looks like he's your new partner."

Yup, seems legit.
RiverThames
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:21 pm

Do you really think that's it for Clancy Brown? I suppose they could have gone with a relatively high profile actor and killed his character immediately just to throw us off, but I'd guess he'll be back someone someway. Unless it's been made clear that that's it for him and/or his character. Headless doesn't really mean much here, does it?
naughty zoot
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:28 pm

I imagine that since Abby has found a cache of tapes, we'll get plenty of Clancy voiceover as the show goes on.
RiverThames
RiverThames

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:38 am

I just watched the pilot and I really enjoyed it. I thought it was interesting the way they had the characters react to Ichabod Crane with Nestor Serrano doing the polygraph test and generally being all world weary and not really all that incredulous about Crane's claims.

So yeah, I'll be watching. I enjoy a good THE STAKES ARE HIGH AND WE COULD DIE IF WE DON'T THIS OMG drama, especially if you throw in something like time travel and spookiness.

(Oh, and I feel for Crane with the power windows. Our card does not have power windows, we have to roll them up and down. So when I get into a car with power windows, I really don't know what to do. Hey, our car was bought in 2000, okay? It still runs. Until the absolute arse falls out of it, we will just have to continue driving it).

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:40 am

RiverThames wrote:I imagine that since Abby has found a cache of tapes, we'll get plenty of Clancy voiceover as the show goes on.
Lex Luthor saves the world from beyond the grave. Cool.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Shalamar Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:10 am

That answers that question - there'll be more Clancy Brown AND more John Cho. I am very happy.

I loved the post-its around the motel room. "COFFEE - PUSH RED BUTTON". Hee. Plus, "This meal cost four dollars and ninety-five cents? And 47 cents was tax? Why aren't people marching in the streets to protest this?" Preach it, brother!
Shalamar
Shalamar

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:14 pm

I love second episodes of genre shows. Because there is inevitably that early scene that more-or-less completely re-describes the pilot and the overall premise.
RiverThames
RiverThames

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:24 am

Does this air on Tuesdays?

I'm catching it on Demand so I have no clue.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 24 1, 2, 3 ... 12 ... 24  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum