Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Facebook

+84
ulkis
year of the cat
DarkSpork
Wildog27
snorf
SelfAmused
RiverThames
Fraoch
killershrew
sunni94
mandalaya
woolhat
Putli Bai
Red Wolf
queenofdenile
mialoubug
puddingcup
Author By Night
slmader
The Glen
blixie
QueenSix
VodouDoll
Raised by wolves
Tabby
choubetcha
megageek
whatthedeuce
punzy
UmaOprah
salamandersam
sagitare
TiffanyNichelle
sixchooks
Miss Moneypenny
MLIS
Luciano
Never Enough
Unlucky Bear
Poubelle
ariadne
Bad Username
Gillian
Jamie
particle_person
lucylane
Algae
lisaslobe
Crackie
punkysdilemma
Instant Monkeys
Gilraen
Morning Angel
Sheli
blooey
gannetguts
Kookla
The Lady of Shalott
Swarley
inversed
Binky
Jasmine
laddical
jcpdiesel21
philophobe
eventide82
tothemax
paablish
MichiSichi
jstilwe
RubyTuesday
Carrie Ann
katesti
mokey75
Corellderaan
Francie Nolan
naughty zoot
Auroura76
Matinee
mayram
oxymoron
Eris Rising
dinahmoe
maxell131313
88 posters

Page 16 of 18 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Go down

Facebook  - Page 16 Empty Re: Facebook

Post  ulkis Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:04 pm

oh man. Is there anything douchier than a status that says "My girl is hot and I'm the luckiest guy ever!" and the liking your own my chick is hot status? Especially when said person saying their girl is hot is the girl they a) cheated on their ex-wife with and b) him and said ex-wife are in some sort of strange divorce off mode where they keep posting pictures of their new significant others and keep posting about how hot and awesome they are?

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sheli Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:14 pm

Ew. There is nothing, in fact, douchier than that.

Hey, am I the only one who didn't know that when you edit a comment on Facebook, the entire history of your edits including the content of each version is visible for anyone to see? I knew that if you edited a comment, it said, "Edited" next to the time the comment was left. But I didn't realize that if you click "Edited" it brings you to a comment history where you see the text and time of the original comment and the edited comment (and each version, if you edited more than once!). I only found out because when moving my mouse around the computer, I happened to leave it hovering over "Edited" on someone's comment thread, completely by chance.

Maybe everyone else knew this already, but I didn't. I thought once you edited it, only the people who saw it BEFORE the edit knew the original content. I probably shouldn't be surprised because Facebook is awful. And it's not like I expected total privacy. But I didn't know people could see each stupid typo/rephrasing/regret about sounding harsh edit that I made. That sucks.

Sheli

Back to top Go down

Post  puddingcup Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:22 pm

I didn't know that! I just went to FB to test it out, and the first "Edited" comment I found was a sweet comment someone had made to a photo of someone's grandmother, and the only difference was she put a heart in the original comment and deleted it in the edited. No big deal, but not something the commenter would have wanted everyone to know.

This is Not Good. Why, Facebook?

And Ulkis - ugh.

puddingcup

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:37 pm

Oh for fuck's sake. Are you serious? Facebook is so ridiculous.
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:28 pm

Well, Zuckererg does have that whole "integrity" issue. Which I chalk up to what I suspect is Asperger's Syndrome.
naughty zoot
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  mayram Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:58 pm

Maybe everyone else knew this already, but I didn't. I thought once you edited it, only the people who saw it BEFORE the edit knew the original content. I probably shouldn't be surprised because Facebook is awful. And it's not like I expected total privacy. But I didn't know people could see each stupid typo/rephrasing/regret about sounding harsh edit that I made. That sucks.

Ha, it really is. Only FB would think this is a good idea.

And thanks for posting that, because I had no idea either. I rarely post anything at all, so have few occasions to edit. The only thing I ever do that I wouldn't want anyone to know about is when I type out a comment and then change my mind about posting anything at all and delete it without ever hitting "reply". Wouldn't surprise me in the least if FB tracks that too, or at least they would if there is a way to do such a thing!

mayram

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:24 pm

mokey75
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:28 pm

I don't think Edit means what face book thinks it means. Like if you were going to do that just don't offer us the EDIT option at all, how about that? So then we KNOW that that dumb thing we accidentally posted is still there and then we can DELETE it which obvs they are also tracking but at least then it's with people I don't know.

blixie
Mod Squad

https://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:53 am

The only reason I can think that it might be there is for pranksters who comment with something troll-y, then change it to something innocuous after they get rancorous responses so the folks who got mad look stupid. But considering how little that probably happens (I've seen it show up once or twice on Lamebok), I think it's more likely that Facebook just wants to continue to be the reigning champion of Who Can Be the Most Intrusive Website?

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  sagitare Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:45 pm

I honestly don't know whether to be horrified or laugh myself silly at the very serious approach FB is taking towards what we don't decide to post ("It withholds valuable information" / "Hey, 3 people on your 1500 strong friends list *might* be interested in that party - how dare you *not* post about it!"). God, it's like they're rooting around behind the sofa cushions looking for loose change so they can go buy some beer (and at the same time trying to make it some other person's fault for not leaving any change behind when they sat there last).
sagitare
sagitare

Back to top Go down

Post  Author By Night Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:00 pm

inversed wrote:The only reason I can think that it might be there is for pranksters who comment with something troll-y, then change it to something innocuous after they get rancorous responses so the folks who got mad look stupid. But considering how little that probably happens (I've seen it show up once or twice on Lamebok), I think it's more likely that Facebook just wants to continue to be the reigning champion of Who Can Be the Most Intrusive Website?

Exactly. I'm quite annoyed now too, because I've edited things on my work page. Great. Not that I ever posted anything bad, but still.

Author By Night

http://author-by-night.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Post  punkysdilemma Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:15 pm

Well, it finally happened, a straight-up picture of pee in a toilet training potty appeared in my news feed today.  

IT IS A BOWL OF PEE.  Why the hell would you post that on Facebook?!!
punkysdilemma
punkysdilemma

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:00 pm

punkysdilemma wrote:Well, it finally happened, a straight-up picture of pee in a toilet training potty appeared in my news feed today.  

IT IS A BOWL OF PEE.  Why the hell would you post that on Facebook?!!

I had a friend ask me to promise to punch her in the face if she ever did that with her future offspring, because someone on her newsfeed did the exact same thing.

Binky
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:52 am

If I ever lose my mind and post something like that, you should defriend me immediately, because I will deserve it.

So did Facebook eliminate the option to choose which updates I want to receive from people? I'm getting a lot of the "Person liked this" and "Person commented on this" from new friends and I can't figure out how to make it stop!

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  Sheli Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:27 am

My kid peed in the potty for the first time this week, and do you know who saw the pee after? No one. Because we flushed it. So how did the people of Facebook verify I was telling the truth about it? They didn't, because I didn't post about it. I called downstairs to my husband and told him. That was the extent. I didn't share it on Facebook and it still happened.

inversed, I have been getting more updates from people I thought I did choose to NOT get updates from. So maybe they got rid of the feature altogether?

Sheli

Back to top Go down

Post  Kookla Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:08 am

I really hope this doesn't make me a bad person.

A friend of a friend posted a long "heartfelt" (her words) rant about how her 4 year old daughter donated her hair to cancer through a large company, and the only thanks she received was a generic form letter addressed to the mother. The mom has basically taken to Facebook to spread the word about what her daughter did and the fact that the company is an evil corporation that can't even show gratitude properly. I understand the little girl is disappointed, and the company may be in the wrong, but I feel like the mother is going about this the wrong way. Sit your daughter down and teach her about the value of doing a selfless good deed and what that means. Instead she's taken to all kinds of social media with pictures, her daughter's story, all "Tell your friends! Tell the company! TELL ANYONE WHO WILL LISTEN ABOUT WHAT MY DAUGHTER DID!!!" It's rubbing me extraordinarily the wrong way.

I truly understand that her daughter did something wonderful and nice, especially for someone her age, and was disappointed by the response, but dealing with the issue like this on social media is out of the scope of how I would handle it. Though she's trying to disguise it, it just comes across like she expected her daughter to get a lot of attention for this, and when that didn't work out she decided to find another way to get it. I feel like the little girl is losing out on a good teachable moment about the nature of giving without expecting in return.

Kookla

Back to top Go down

Post  punkysdilemma Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:19 am

Sounds like Mom is the one who needs the teachable moment. Yipes.
punkysdilemma
punkysdilemma

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:25 am

At any time did the mother indicate what she would think of as a workable response?
Eris Rising
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Kookla Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:42 am

She said that she wanted her daughter to have a personalized response letter that had her name on it because her daughter had taken the time to write a letter about why she was donating her hair and was really proud and excited about it. First of all, I don't think it's possible for them to personalize every letter for every donation they get, because I think they get A LOT of them. And secondly, that's a pretty small request/complaint out of proportion to how she's taken to Facebook crying out "Tell EVERYONE!!" It is funny how some people responding to her are just like, "My daughter donated. She got the same letter..." with the implication of "... and we didn't freak out about it like you are." Though really, I wish more people would out and out tell her that she's overreacting and that she's teaching her daughter a horrible lesson about giving and getting attention. And that perhaps they can be consoled by the fact that their donation is helping a person with, you know, CANCER, and take some solace in that? Or perhaps not, because she's showing that clearly that's not what this act was all about - it was about getting her special little snowflake recognition. *Sigh*

Kookla

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:00 pm

Ohhhhh yeah. Your post is giving me traumatic flashbacks to my time as a community newspaper editor. Parents would call constantly trying to get their special snowflakes in the paper. One lady was donating a tree to a local park in honor of her late sister and wanted me to send a photographer to the "dedication," which really just meant she wanted to get a picture of her kids in the paper. The "press release" she sent out to the local press didn't even mention her sister's name; I did however learn absolutely everything about her fucking kids, down to the 18-month old's favorite food. I politely declined to cover this event.

I donated 10 inches to Pantene Beautiful Lengths last fall, and got a very nice form letter from them. I was touched they even sent that.
Unlucky Bear
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:39 pm

Someone on my feed just shared a photo of their healing blister. WHY?!

blixie
Mod Squad

https://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  dinahmoe Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:00 pm

I have a friend who is a stuntman, and he shared, in pictures, his entire adventure of the flame retardant gel that didn't work on his hands. Put me off my feed for a while.
dinahmoe
dinahmoe

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:24 am

(I am glad nobody has shared their burns on my TL.)

Actual Facebook comment I saw just now:
i personally thnk she just didnt get her way so niw she wants attition and throwin a little tamtrum like a 3year old her IQ probs lower lol anyone agree
particle_person
particle_person
Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  Author By Night Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:41 pm

Re: The little girl who donated hair... first, a lot of these hair donation companies do a lot slimier things than that. Second, form letters are pretty standard. Even with ordinary good deeds you're not always thanked - which is often annoying, but you're not supposed to do good deeds for the thanks anyway. With a big company... they don't have time to personally thank every donor. That's not how it works. It's a disappointing but teachable moment, and the mother lost the opportunity.

Particle_person wrote:
Actual Facebook comment I saw just now:
i personally thnk she just didnt get her way so niw she wants attition and throwin a little tamtrum like a 3year old her IQ probs lower lol anyone agree

Do people even think about what they just said?

Author By Night

http://author-by-night.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sheli Wed May 07, 2014 11:11 am

Finding out your grandmother passed away via Facebook: welcome to 2014.

The whole family knew she was sick, and they were there last night saying goodbye, so it was not a shock or anything that she died this morning.  But my husband's cousin posted the news on Facebook before most of the family had been told - including my husband.  So typical, and so lame.

Sheli

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 18 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next