Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sherlock

+41
Shalamar
Gillian
nazlan
emrie
mo pie
bottle
Fiammetta
CindyMc
Lily Rose
salamandersam
Coneycat
mialoubug
Carrie Ann
Agent Sculder
schwa
Wildog27
laurelin_kit
Gallifrey Girl
puddingcup
sixchooks
Raksha
punzy
bookworm
Eris Rising
ActonBell
chibimanda
Evil Lincoln
RiverThames
Unlucky Bear
allochthonous
laddical
Esseilte
katha
Genevieve
Cutebutpsycho
Rhilin
epudom
vwlphb
Tabby
sagitare
QueenSix
45 posters

Page 11 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Sherlock - Page 11 Empty Re: Sherlock

Post  puddingcup Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:55 pm

"Sitty thing" was my favorite.

I'm definitely enjoying this season, but does anyone else think that the writing or editing or direction is a lot more jumpy and unfocused? I forget or lose track of the central mysteries, some things move so fast, but then there are long swaths that I think should be edited down dramatically (Sherlock and Mary's motorcycle ride, for example). I thought in the first episode, it was due to having to address so many things after the long absence, or maybe a new director? but I felt the same in ep 2. ANYWAY, very glad that the second episode broke the second episode curse. I noticed that it was written by all three writers together, instead of just one of Moffat, Gatiss, and Thompson (?), as usual.

When Sherlock was going through the professions of the women who dated the Mayfly, for a minute I thought the plot was going to go all Murder on the Orient Express.

puddingcup

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:24 pm

I agree. I've enjoyed both episodes so much, but they have seemed sort of rambling and scattershot. I wonder if a big part of it is that the "case" wasn't the primary focus, as it always was in S1&2. First episode it was Sherlock's return and everyone's reactions, and this one was obviously the wedding stuff that took up the majority of time and focus. Those aren't so much "plots" as they are series of (pretty great) scenes. It just took me a few minutes to even remember what the case was in the first episode, and this episode's case didn't even really start until like 30 minutes in. I think without that central plot, the show feels a little unhinged.

It also means that there are scenes that are unnecessary to the "plot," or even unnecessary in general, and that's not something I think you would say about the other seasons. You mentioned the overlong motorcycle scene from the first episode, but even the series of scenes of Sherlock surprising and then explaining to Watson was longer than I think it had to be. Last night, the bachelor party scene could have gone from Sherlock talking to Molly about the science of drinking without getting sick to them being super wasted and meeting the client.

Some of this stuff (that I LOVE, don't get me wrong) feels like it should have been webisodes. Or, you know, this is just the "personal stuff" season, and that's that. Fortunately, there has been enough really great character stuff that I'm still happy with the season so far, but compared to the previous two seasons, I would say that this one might feel less important and not as well-crafted.
Carrie Ann
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  puddingcup Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:46 pm

All of your reasons make sense, Carrie Ann, this season is less "important" case-wise with more emphasis on some character development. Definitely agree that the bachelor party could have been edited down a lot: just quickly show that Sherlock has "prepped" for it, show that the prep goes off the rails for various reasons, then go to the Madonna "who am I" game at Baker Street, etc. ("Am I a pretty lady?" "Am I the King of England?"). It was strange that John's bachelor party was just the 2 of them - I can't imagine that John doesn't have any other friends (Mike Stamford), and they could have just left the party early when they got too drunk.

Webisodes are a good idea - extended napkin folding scenes, for example.

Spoiler:

puddingcup

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutebutpsycho Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:17 pm

Puddingcup -- I have no idea with the spoiler. But this is where at times I find Moffat and Co. to be lacking as writers. It's like initially I like it (DUBSTEP SHERLOCK THEME NEEDS TO BE MY NEW RINGTONE), but then as time goes on, I feel myself naturally asking questions and punching holes in their ideas and it's less satisfying for me.

I definitely agree this trio is more about Sherlock wrestling with relationships and how they work as well as his emotions.

Spoilers:
Cutebutpsycho
Cutebutpsycho

Back to top Go down

Post  puddingcup Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:01 pm

Cutebutpsycho,
Spoiler:
I also saw Charles Augustus Magnussen's name in a news crawl in ep1, that should come back in ep3.

puddingcup

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:15 pm

If anything bad happens to anyone in episode 3, I will die. I WILL DIE!

About that spoiler:
Spoiler:

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutebutpsycho Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:31 pm

*moves slowly away from Queensix and hides the knives*
Cutebutpsycho
Cutebutpsycho

Back to top Go down

Post  puddingcup Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:00 pm

I didn't mean that anyone was going to die, just that I think Mary's history will be part of the central mystery of ep3.

puddingcup

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutebutpsycho Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:53 pm

I think you're right. I'm the one speculating that someone's going to bite it, given that they say it ends on a cliffhanger.
Cutebutpsycho
Cutebutpsycho

Back to top Go down

Post  Esseilte Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:56 pm

Mary isn't dreadful, but I really want her to go away. It feels like she's been in almost every scene John and Sherlock had, and I wouldn't mind if we got more episodes, but we get so few and have waited so long for them that I feel a bit ripped off.

However, I'm convinced that

Spoiler:
Esseilte
Esseilte

Back to top Go down

Post  Genevieve Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:42 pm

What is it about Mary that bothers you? (other than her being in a number of scenes?)
I am always curious about this reaction to female characters. I have noticed this side of the fandom that is kind of um... negative about the women on this show.
Genevieve
Genevieve

Back to top Go down

Post  Esseilte Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:49 pm

It's not her character - though I'd have preferred a different actress - but her presence. I watch the show for John and Sherlock, with occasional interaction from others, and some clever cases. She's taking up far too much of the very limited time there is, and I feel as though I'm still waiting to get the show back, because there hasn't been even one good old-fashioned case.

Essentially, she's one of those characters who I would love to have as a next-door neighbour, but who I'd rather see killed off than have to watch, because she's just not what I tuned in for.
Esseilte
Esseilte

Back to top Go down

Post  Genevieve Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:56 pm

That is rather fascinating. And a little horrifying.
Genevieve
Genevieve

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutebutpsycho Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:04 pm

I feel like Mary in this case is essential because this season they seem to be expanding the idea of Sherlock navigating the world of sentiment that he's scoffed about before. It's the idea that people (more than just John) hold him in high regard, but also aren't afraid to tell him if he's being ridiculous. We've seen it with Mycroft, Lestrade, Molly and Mrs. Hudson, as well as his parents.

Really for me, what I love about Mary is that she's in canon as a really chill, loving woman who's fond of both of the guys. It blows up the idea that there's only one soulmate for all of us -- we can have a close tribe of family and friends who we experience different kinds of love with.

And this entire season has been more emotional, rather than cases (some with hits, some with misses, but I also blame that on the fact that it's three 90-minute movies every two years, as well as other things) so Mary fits in perfectly there.

The Sign of the Three was also about John and Mary's wedding, so I think it makes sense that she would figure prominently in that, since she was the bride and all that.
Cutebutpsycho
Cutebutpsycho

Back to top Go down

Post  Genevieve Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:28 pm

I don't really see the show as this insulated world of just two characters. Yes they are the main characters but there are plenty of other characters who add to the depth of these two main characters. You get a greater understanding of their choices and personality. I rather enjoy how Mary is another person who sees something in Sherlock that is beyond the highly functioning sociopath. It isn't that she is blind to his emotionally tone-deaf ways, she sees them honestly and calls him on it. My take is that she understands why he means much to John, and how it adds to him as well. Yeah there aren't many episodes but I am kind of digging this series because they have a cinematic quality and yet there is that television quality so you know there is more on the way.
Genevieve
Genevieve

Back to top Go down

Post  Esseilte Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:39 pm

If it helps, I highly doubt they'll off Mary tonight. Although I want rid of her, I'll almost be disappointed if they do it tonight, since it's too damn obvious. They seem to think everyone will be shocked by tonight's developments, and that just wouldn't be shocking at all.
Esseilte
Esseilte

Back to top Go down

Post  Fiammetta Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:47 am

I figured the "Liar" bit would resurface in some way-- she was suspiciously clever-- but who would have expected Watson to be married to La Femme Nikita?

I hope the wait for Season 4 is not too epically long.

Fiammetta

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutebutpsycho Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:01 am

That just made me gleeful. But I've already thought in the past that Mary Morstan was an alias and whenever she was all "BYE BOYS! HAVE FUN SOLVING CRIMES!" she was also doing her own spy thing in the background.

Really, this season was stronger than the last one. And I love the Holmes parents. They remind me a lot of my friends' parents.
Cutebutpsycho
Cutebutpsycho

Back to top Go down

Post  Wildog27 Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:04 am

If it's another two years until the next series/season, I swear to God I will cut someone.

Wildog27

Back to top Go down

Post  Genevieve Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:37 am

"oh you thought the last couple of episodes were too light and fun loving eh? You want dark eh? OKAY THEN."
Genevieve
Genevieve

Back to top Go down

Post  Lily Rose Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:18 am

MORIARTY MORIARTY MORIARTY! Only...it's not going to be Moriarty, is it? It's going to be Moran, or Sherlock himself (so he can stay in England). I don't care, so long as Andrew Scott gets to come back and play.

I was so so happy and relieved that Mary and the baby didn't die, and that John forgave her. I love that we got to see Mycroft and Sherlock with their Mum and Dad, and it was pretty much everything I could have hoped for (the cigarette scene, and Sherlock immediately throwing Mycroft under the bus!).

Lily Rose

Back to top Go down

Post  emrie Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:16 am

Going back a few pages, because they appeared again and were still delightfully normal and embarassing:

Also, I love how normal Mycroft and Sherlock's parents are. The idea that these two people birthed those two has me giggling. It's like Fraiser and Niles Crane with their dad.
It's made even funnier by the fact that they are Benedict Cumberbatch's actual parents. Everybody say aw.

emrie

Back to top Go down

Post  nazlan Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:01 pm

emrie wrote:Going back a few pages, because they appeared again and were still delightfully normal and embarassing:

Also, I love how normal Mycroft and Sherlock's parents are. The idea that these two people birthed those two has me giggling. It's like Fraiser and Niles Crane with their dad.
It's made even funnier by the fact that they are Benedict Cumberbatch's actual parents. Everybody say aw.

Well, we now know what Benedict Cumberbatch will look like in 35 years, because goodness does he favor his father.
nazlan
nazlan

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutebutpsycho Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:18 pm

Christmas was just hilarious. "ARE YOU SMOKING?" "No." "IT WAS MYCROFT!" and that glare....I need to master that hard stare.
Cutebutpsycho
Cutebutpsycho

Back to top Go down

Post  salamandersam Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:49 pm

I watched the 3rd episode while job hunting online, except that I couldn't stop watching the episode.  I wasn't a huge fan of the 2nd season, but I really liked this one.  They seem to have broken the 2nd episode curse a bit, though this last episode was particularly strong.  And I really like Mary, I think she's fairly well written and writing women is usually hugely problematic for Moffat. And I loved the Mycroft/Sherlock interactions.

salamandersam

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next