Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Hunger Games

+82
Snarryfan
The Dude
nazlan
LadyGayle
jaraga
tchaikca
jstilwe
mokey75
Never Enough
Pop'n'Fresh
celest
oxymoron
Rhilin
Cynara
Tabby
Ceci
Raksha
Raised by wolves
punzy
RiverThames
Menshevixen
Auroura76
FiggyPudding
snorf
dionneshea
Gilraen
Fiammetta
particle_person
sen3
Caramel Coffee
vwlphb
SarahJanet
Charishawk
PrincessCleo
big chicken
ActonBell
Luthien
Agent Sculder
Putli Bai
dreago
MtOlivePickles
preciosa
Wildog27
mandalaya
Poubelle
BrightEyes
choubetcha
katesti
Unlucky Bear
Paris, Texas
jcpdiesel21
Kookla
bbridges
ulkis
gannetguts
Lily Rose
Genevieve
Gillian
BreezyK
Gallifrey Girl
Instant Monkeys
Bad Username
QueenSix
narfzz
The Lady of Shalott
Carrie Ann
curryalley
Maestro
biakbiak
rivki8699
paablish
whatthedeuce
laddical
eventide82
Grainne Mhaol
queenofdenile
Kiran
bookworm
blixie
inversed
swsa
jensa
86 posters

Page 11 of 14 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Go down

The Hunger Games - Page 11 Empty Re: The Hunger Games

Post  LadyGayle Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:51 pm

I believe District 12 did it for Katniss at the reaping as well, in the book. Or was it just a refusal to applaud? I think it was both.

LadyGayle

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:10 pm

It was both.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:43 pm

vwlphb wrote:
jaraga wrote:Does the 3-fingered salute mean anything? Is it explained in the book?(only saw the movie). Is it unique to District 12? Because if it was, District 11 seemed to pick up on it pretty quick.

In the books, Katniss does it to Rue in the Games, then when she and Peeta visit District 11, they do it for her like the scene in the movie. So it's a bit delayed from how it is in the book. (In the book they send her bread after Rue dies. They may have rioted, but since it was Katniss's perspective in the games she would have no way of knowing.)

And Katniss notes that District 11 is just as poor as District 12 and since it costs so much to send tribute supplies, it meant District 11 took up a collection and people contributed what they could. It was the only way they could thank her during the Games for seeing Rue as a person and helping her.

I also think the man who started the riots in District 11 was Rue's father.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:19 am

And the director for Catching Fire is.....Francis Lawrence. I feel bad for him that such an intriguing short list was released, but he worked on the tv show Kings which I quite enjoyed.
biakbiak
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  Kookla Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:41 am

Yeah I think expectations were super high, and he's not exactly a really inspired choice and one that makes you go, "oh wow, cool!" But with his big budget experience with I Am Legend + his recent adaptation of the book Water for Elephants it kind of makes sense. I liked many aspects of I Am Legend, and any issues I had with Water for Elephants had mainly to do with Reese Witherspoon (totally and completely wrong for that role). I was sad to see Ross go because he seemed to have a genuine respect and understanding for the books, but regardless, my favourite thing about The Hunger Games was the uniformly excellent cast, so I am cautiously optimistic about the second one.

Kookla

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:23 pm

I think he's a pretty good choice. He has a definite visual flair. I like the idea of the guy behind Lady Gaga's "Bad Romance" video directing the Capitol scenes. I think his film will probably be prettier than Ross'.
swsa
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  BrightEyes Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:29 pm

I love I Am Legend, and I thought Water for Elephants was shot beautifully.

I'm bummed it's not Cuaron, though. Maybe for Mockingjay.

BrightEyes

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:46 am

OK! So I finally was well enough and had the time to sit through this movie. My best friend is a saint, because she waited to see it with me. Our theater was INSANELY crowded. I can't believe it was so crowded at a movie that's been out or four weeks already. We got to the theater at 6:45 for a 7 p.m. show and ended up having to sit in the first row. We were at a theater that served food so we weren't as close to the screen as in a regular theater, but still.

I LOVED it. I thought it was an extremely faithful adaptation from the book. I totally cried at the Reaping, and at Rue's death. I could have lived without the shakycam, though I appreciated it during the beginning of the games when it covered up the initial slaughter. I was surprised how tense I was during it all....during the final chase scene, the guy behind us rattled his bucket of beer and I almost screamed. The fire CGI looked really fake on both outfits. I really liked the mockingjay sound effect.

Though, to be honest, my favorite part was when our waiter screwed up our order and brought us an extra basket of chicken strips and fries on the house. I realize the irony of this at a viewing of The Hunger Games.
Unlucky Bear
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  Paris, Texas Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:09 pm

I'm pretty impressed with what a great job the casting directors have done. Jena Malone and Amanda Plummer are surprising (to me) but inspired choices. PSH is whom I originally pictured as Haymitch when reading (but I loved Woody) so I'm stoked that he's Plutarch. If the Variety report that Tony Shalhoub and Melissa Leo are in talks for Beetee and Mags, then even better.

Paris, Texas

Back to top Go down

Post  Raised by wolves Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:02 pm

ITA, the casting's been spot on. Shalhoub for Beetee would be awesome but what I really want to know is who's gonna be Finnick? It's killing me.

Raised by wolves

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:09 pm

I've heard Sam Claflin is in talks. Hes very attractive and he was good in White Heat, so I wouldn't have a problem with that.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:50 am

Anyone have links? Who's PSH?
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:52 am

Philip Seymour Hoffman.

Here. There are links to the resting of the official casting announcements at the bottom.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:53 am

biakbiak
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:58 am

Thanks! Now, I love me some Tony Shalhoub, but I seem to remember Beetee and Mags were black -- no?

ETA: Or at least Beetee. I confess, I've only read the books once and my memory is hazy. Anyway, Tony Shalhoub's played every other ethnicity, so, whatever, heh.
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:02 am

Beetee was described as having ashen skin, which could fit being black, or Tony Shaloub, who is of Lebanese descent I believe. Mags was just described as super old, as I recall. So they could be of a lot of races, tbh.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  bbridges Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:07 am

I always pictured Wiress and Beetee as black so this casting is a little strange for me. I don't think I had any basis for thinking that, I just always did.

I am all about Melissa Leo as Mags though, she may be way too young but she could seriously rock that role.
bbridges
bbridges

Back to top Go down

Post  nazlan Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:30 am

For some reason, I pictured Beetee as Asian. Which isn't really all that close to Lebanese, but I think Shaloub could rock the part.
nazlan
nazlan

Back to top Go down

Post  Raised by wolves Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:59 am

I thought Beetee's ashen complexion because District 3 people work indoors and don't get outside a lot. To me ashen doesn't indicate ethnicity, just pale from lack of sun. And after a quick google image search if Sam Claflin is cast as Finnick is A-OK by me.

Raised by wolves

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:23 pm

I think Claflin is the worst of all the names floated for Finnick. I've seen him in both POTC4 and SWATH and can barely remember him in either. He defines bland.
swsa
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  ActonBell Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:20 pm

I think Claflin is the worst of all the names floated for Finnick. I've seen him in both POTC4 and SWATH and can barely remember him in either. He defines bland.

A brunette cardboard cutout. The definition of beige.
ActonBell
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  Paris, Texas Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:27 pm

Some guy on twitter (could I be more vague?) reports that Melissa Leo's reps say "nay". Boo. She would have rocked. Though I pictured Eileen Atkins as Mags, her age and health problems makes such a role consisting of so many action scenes a hard task, so a strong woman in her 50s like Melissa who can act frail would be ideal.

I wish that Catching Fire would be made into two films instead of Mockingjay, though as the movies will probably be defined by action set pieced for commercial reasons this will never happen. The political world building of the first half of Catching Fire and Katniss' gradual awareness of it was very strong material and necessary to illustrate the not-quite-as-vivid 1984-esque/guerilla-freedom-fighting/TV-propaganda plotlines of Mockingkay. And spending time in District 12, and then with the other tributes before the Quell would be ace. In my ideal world, Catching Fire Part 1 would end with the assault on Cinna as Katniss enters the arena. Catching Fire Part 2 would start with the swim to the Cornucopia and end with Katniss finding Snow's rose during her quick trip home when ensconced in District 13.

Paris, Texas

Back to top Go down

Post  Putli Bai Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:45 pm

swsa wrote:I think Claflin is the worst of all the names floated for Finnick. I've seen him in both POTC4 and SWATH and can barely remember him in either. He defines bland.

Ugh - was he the token Not-Orlando who fell in love with the mermaid? Why don't they just cast Logan Lerman, assuming he can get time off from his pizza delivery gig? And how did I not know that Logan Lerman played Percy Jackson?

PS: I may still be bitter about the 2011 Three Musketeer remake.

PSS: I was going to propose my age-inappropriate imaginary movie boyfriend Ben Barnes for Finnick, but realized he might not be macho enough. I will say that the twelve of us who saw Dorian Gray do know he can play a handsome bastard.
Putli Bai
Putli Bai

Back to top Go down

Post  Gillian Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:32 pm

I'm still riding the Armie Hammer train hardcore. I know I need to give it up, but I CAN'T.

Gillian

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:08 pm

I wanted Freddie Stroma aka Cormac McClaggen. He would have rocked that fishnet outfit.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 14 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next