Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Book Recommendations

+63
gannetguts
Matinee
Sheli
Gallifrey Girl
RiverThames
snorf
Shadowlass
BreezyK
Muggsy
Unlucky Bear
mokey75
Coneycat
Carrie Ann
killershrew
Paris, Texas
EggSpreader
emrie
Poubelle
MaddyCat
puddingcup
VodouDoll
midnight radio
maxell131313
Lurker
bookworm
bbridges
Algae
QueenSix
laddical
stargirl
PrincessCleo
ariadne
eventide82
The Lady of Shalott
punzy
allochthonous
Ceci
Gilraen
ulkis
epudom
GeneralErin
sweetle
inversed
queenofdenile
Jessica
Escape
katesti
draco vulgaris
tothemax
Red Wolf
whatthedeuce
Auroura76
Raksha
big chicken
mialoubug
Putli Bai
Jasmine
choubetcha
Instant Monkeys
particle_person
rivki8699
Genevieve
naughty zoot
67 posters

Page 7 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

Book Recommendations - Page 7 Empty Re: Book Recommendations

Post  choubetcha Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:02 pm

Wholeheartedly endorse Going Postal. I never understood the Terry Pratchett love until friends recommended I try it. Afterward, I tried the first book in Discworld for the second time and while I managed to finish it, it was still not very enjoyable so I think best practice is to start on a book everyone likes rather than at the beginning of the series.

(Also, whenever someone is recommending Catherynne Valente on snarkfest, I know without looking that it's Raksha! I bought Girl who circumnavigated fairyland on your rec but still haven't gotten to it. One of these days!)

choubetcha

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:39 am

I'm sad that I'm about to start on the third and final Montmaray Journal book by Michelle Cooper. The trilogy is so elegant and moving and exciting all at once. I don't want the series to end, but I definitely recommend the novels to anyone who desires some wistful, evocative reading.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  choubetcha Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:20 pm

I always buy two books for a friend of mine on her birthday, which is in a week or so. I have a more serious book already so I was going to get her Kelly Oxford's book, but it's only in hardcover and I know she would prefer paperback. I'm looking for something else along the same lines. Unfortunately, I know she's read a lot of authors in the funny memoir/essay genre already. Any recommendations? For reference, she's read Sloane Crosley, Tina Fey, Mindy Kaling, and is currently reading and liking Where'd You Go, Bernadette? I'm pretty sure she hasn't read Jenny Lawson's book but I'm not sure she would be into it.

Help!

choubetcha

Back to top Go down

Post  puddingcup Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:51 pm

Here a list of funny entertainment industry type memoirs I've read: Girl Walks into a Bar (Rachel Dratch), My Horizontal Life (Chelsea Handler), My Booky Wook (Russell Brand), Bill Cosby (I think he has 3? Parenthood, Time Flies, something else), Microthrills (Wendy Spero), I'm the One that I Want (Margaret Cho), Official Book Club Selection (Kathy Griffin), The Late Bloomer's Revolution (Amy Cohen), Mommies Who Drink (Brett Paesel).

Of those I would probably recommend Rachel Dratch (because she's the most similar to the Tina Fey/Mindy Kaling demo) and Wendy Spero (because it's hilarious and wacky). Amy Cohen's book might be good if she still single (a lot about dating trials), and I always recommend Brett Paesel's book to new moms. Hope that helps!

puddingcup

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:27 pm

I just read Alison Arngrim's (Nellie Oleson from Little House) Confessions of a Prairie Bitch, and it was really funny and along the same vein as the rest.
Has she read any of the early Laurie Notaro or Jen Lancaster books? I'd stick their memoirs - Notaro's The Idiot Girls Action-Adventure Club still makes me laugh out loud, and so does Bitter is the New Black.
mokey75
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  choubetcha Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:11 pm

Thanks for the suggestions! Microthrills looks hilarious; I might check it out for me!

mokey, I actually have another good friend whose birthday is a week after this one's and I already got her Confessions of a Prairie Bitch! I considered just getting them both the same book but I wasn't sure of the etiquette. They're friends too so I assume they would know. I'm going to think on it.

choubetcha

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Wed May 01, 2013 1:42 am

Does anyone have recs for something akin to the Montmaray Journals trilogy? I want some good WWII historical fic.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri May 24, 2013 9:03 pm

Thank you Raksha for recommending The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making! It is very different from what I typically read but I enjoyed it. I am going to try Terry Pratchett next.

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha Sat May 25, 2013 4:33 am

I'm so glad you liked it! I am slowly building my Valente Fan Army, one convert at a time!
Raksha
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Mon May 27, 2013 8:18 pm

After reading Jurassic Park, I think I may get to really like Michael Crichton's work. Which books of his would you recommend most, snarkers? I plan to grab The Lost World and maybe The Andromeda Strain tomorrow afternoon. Is Lex in TLW? I found her to be the most annoying kid I've ever encountered in fiction.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  maxell131313 Mon May 27, 2013 8:33 pm

I liked Airframe a lot even though the technology from when it was written to now is very different. Same with Disclosure. But they are both still good mysteries.
maxell131313
maxell131313

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Mon May 27, 2013 8:49 pm

Awesome! Thank you so much for the recs!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Mon May 27, 2013 9:07 pm

No Lex in The Lost World. Totally all new annoying kid character there.

Crichton was one of my favorite authors for a while, but then I read State of Fear and it completely ruined everything he'd ever written for me.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Mon May 27, 2013 9:11 pm

Dammit! My heart cheered at the "no Lex" part, only to be sorely disappointed by the next statement!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:15 pm

OK, we booked our trip to Boston today, so now I need book recommendations about the place. Fiction, nonfiction, give me a few quintessentially Boston titles I need to read before we go. Thanks!
Unlucky Bear
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  puddingcup Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:26 pm

Make Way for Ducklings!

I love April Morning, historical fiction, about the first Revolutionary War battles in Lexington and Concord, but then I grew up in Lexington and went to high school in Concord.

Last edited by puddingcup on Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

puddingcup

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:43 pm

For history, Sarah Vowell's "The Wordy Shipmates" which explains how we got founded. It's about Boston's colonial history. (Boston was founded in 1630, and the Revolution was in 1775, a 145 year gap. So the Revolution happened as long after the founding of Boston as we are from the Civil War, more or less.)
particle_person
particle_person
Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:00 pm

Oh, awesome! I LOVED Assassination Vacation, so I'm totally going to check this out, thanks!
Unlucky Bear
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:43 pm

On the fiction front, much of Dennis Lehane's stuff, Robert B Parker's Spenser series, and Chuck Hogan's The Town. For more contemporary Boston history, The Brothers Bulger and Black Mass both about the Irish Mob, All Soul's by Michael Patrick MacDonald, about growing up in Southie during the days of the busing crisis. For something a little lighter, there's Always Something Doing: Boston's Infamous Scollay Square. I imagine there must be any number of books that don't paint Bostonians as ruffians, gangsters and drunken hoors, but I can't think of any at the moment.
naughty zoot
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:52 pm

David McCullough's John Adams and 1776 feature Boston prominently.  I know that some people look down on him, because he's a "popular" historian, but I think he is a great storyteller, who lifts history to the level of literature.

Make sure to read them in that order, though, since 1776 clearly is the supplement to John Adams.  I remember and interview with McCullough where he said that it's a rule of thumb when writing a biography to not stray from the subject for more than five pages.  So, 1776 is all the cool stuff he learned when researching that didn't directly relate to Adams--although, since he's maybe the most eloquent historian to every live (IMO), he didn't say "cool stuff."

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:08 pm

I was gonna mention anything by Dennis Lehane, but I see naughty zoot beat me to it!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  mialoubug Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:25 pm

Jeffrey Eugenides "Bunker Hill" about the Battle of Bunker Hill.  An oldie but goodie is "Back Bay" by William Martin.  First is non fiction, second fiction.  Second some of Dennis Lehane's but fair warning, some of them are very depressing.  There's also a great series of photo books by publisher Images of America that covers every neighborhood in the city.
mialoubug
mialoubug

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:38 am

whatthedeuce wrote:Does anyone have recs for something akin to the Montmaray Journals trilogy? I want some good WWII historical fic.

This is a bit late but Michelle Cooper herself has made a list of books similar to the Montmaray Journals.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:41 am

You're awesome, big chicken! Thanks so much!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  stargirl Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:59 am

Has anybody here read The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey? Saw a book review the other day that piqued my interest, but I don't always trust recommendations from a magazine review. I do trust recommendations from SFers, though!

stargirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next