Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sherlock

+41
Shalamar
Gillian
nazlan
emrie
mo pie
bottle
Fiammetta
CindyMc
Lily Rose
salamandersam
Coneycat
mialoubug
Carrie Ann
Agent Sculder
schwa
Wildog27
laurelin_kit
Gallifrey Girl
puddingcup
sixchooks
Raksha
punzy
bookworm
Eris Rising
ActonBell
chibimanda
Evil Lincoln
RiverThames
Unlucky Bear
allochthonous
laddical
Esseilte
katha
Genevieve
Cutebutpsycho
Rhilin
epudom
vwlphb
Tabby
sagitare
QueenSix
45 posters

Page 5 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Sherlock - Page 5 Empty Re: Sherlock

Post  allochthonous Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:08 pm

ActonBell wrote:
I think about the only way I'd be happy with Mary's existence is if John was married to her when Sherlock came back - and then she died ten minutes in, thus providing an excuse for John to move back in with Sherlock. Or if her case was the last one in the next series, then she dies ten minutes into the following episode...
Hmm, sounds like a typical episode of Supernatural to me.
*snerk*

Moffat can't just be referring to Sherlock asking Molly for help, right? Because that's pretty obvious and something that everyone jumped on right away. One thing I'm not wholly sure about is whether Sherlock was expecting Moriarty's suicide or not? He seemed pretty surprised when it happened, but if he and Mycroft had planned everything from the beginning, they must have entertained it as a possibility? I'm getting a headache trying to work out how much each person might have known!
allochthonous
allochthonous

Back to top Go down

Post  Esseilte Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:39 pm

ActonBell wrote:Hmm, sounds like a typical episode of Supernatural to me.

You say that like it's a bad thing. Although when a show does it for the fifth time, it probably is.

And now I want to write a Sherlock/Supernatural crossover. However, I am lazy, so off to find out if anyone has written it for me.

Esseilte
Esseilte

Back to top Go down

Post  sixchooks Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:11 pm

Moffat said "did," not "said," so my submissions for the answer would be 1) made and served tea 2) asked Molly for help 3) went on the lam 4) carelessly dropped his phone before jumping....

oooh. Just picked something up from another forum.

Remember the rubber ball? I didn't think that bouncing the ball was all that out of character, but it did show up after Sherlock realized what the next part of the story must be, right? Go here for a pretty good set of screencaps showing the truck with bags. The argument is that Sherlock himself jumped into the bags, breaking his fall, and then used the extra time provided by the biker to roll into place on the street, smearing himself with blood and stopping his own pulse.

Drat, wish I could have solved it for myself, but I didn't know the rubber ball trick. In other news, I had a bit of fun this morning solving a word puzzle for my new screen background.
sixchooks
sixchooks

Back to top Go down

Post  sagitare Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:19 pm

Oooh, I'm liking that rubber ball bit.

I actually thought him bouncing the ball was quite out of character because it's such a mindless activity, and as he was doing it he was just sitting there being still, not twitchy or anxious like he usually is when he has nothing to do. He gets bored, yes, but his mind is always racing, and all that energy comes out in his body: he's always moving around, doing something; he can hardly sit still. When his mind is engaged on a problem is when I find him being calmer physically - he can just come to a complete stop sometimes. But this posture seemed very different to me - his expression was so neutral. He didn't look or act like he was thinking about anything, so I thought that was weird. At the time I figured it had to be significant to be focused on like it was in the frame, but I promptly forgot about it after that and had no idea about this technique. Very interesting!
sagitare
sagitare

Back to top Go down

Post  Esseilte Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:06 pm

One other thing he did which was out of character - he phoned John. Sherlock doesn't phone, he texts. The only use I can see that being is to give John the suggestion required to see what he expected to see, but there it is.

Esseilte
Esseilte

Back to top Go down

Post  sagitare Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:49 pm

Good catch, Esseilte!
sagitare
sagitare

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:19 pm

But he rang Mycroft in The Hounds of Baskerville when they were going back to Baskerville to look for the hound.

Wait, did you mean that John was someone he texted constantly and never rang? Because then never mind.

My assistant Guide leader came to visit after college to watch episodes 2 & 3 in this series as she'd missed them. Being such a benevolent Guide leader, I said "YOU MUST WATCH THEM!! HOW COULD YOU MISS THEM?! COME TO MY HOUSE ASAP!" and she did. She's nineteen and pretty much did her own DVD commentary through them. It would have been very annoying if I hadn't already seen them, but her reactions were amusing, especially when she hid behind the cushion. Also, now I can talk to her about the episodes and I think future Guide meetings will be devoted to solving just how Sherlock faked his own death! I'll tie it into compass work and personal development somehow.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutebutpsycho Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:59 pm

And this is how you get your Faking Your Death badge girls!
Cutebutpsycho
Cutebutpsycho

Back to top Go down

Post  sixchooks Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:19 pm

He generally texted John, but there are great swathes of time missing between and even during the episodes sometimes, so I don't know if the act of calling is as unusual as the content of the call. It was definitely to position John and also to give him clues - Sherlock just can't resist. I'm delighted that the line "It's a trick" was multi-layered after all. And the heartbreaking knowledge that John just won't figure it out...

Something else interesting - I O U, right? Odd that it was echoed in the line that kills us all: "I was so alone, and I owe you so much." Intentional? Man, if I was still in school, I'd write an analysis of obligation and ownership in Sherlock. The scripts are so rich. (Want them!)
sixchooks
sixchooks

Back to top Go down

Post  sagitare Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:34 pm

sixchooks wrote:Something else interesting - I O U, right? Odd that it was echoed in the line that kills us all: "I was so alone, and I owe you so much." Intentional? Man, if I was still in school, I'd write an analysis of obligation and ownership in Sherlock. The scripts are so rich. (Want them!)
Aaaah, wonderful - I totally didn't pick up on that (although to be fair I was somewhat..overcome at the moment).
sagitare
sagitare

Back to top Go down

Post  sixchooks Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:44 pm

Although if I'm telling the truth, I'm not entirely sure of why that was Moriarty's primary message to Sherlock. It's one of the things I'd want to dig into.
sixchooks
sixchooks

Back to top Go down

Post  sagitare Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:44 am

Given how affected Moriarity was when Sherlock acknowledged their sameness, I think it could be just a simple matter of gratitude: Moriarity was connected to Sherlock like he was with no other person because Sherlock was the only other person who was like him. In fact, I'd draw a parallel between Moriarity's relationship with Sherlock and John's: both men felt completely alone and isolated from everyone else, but were able to connect with Sherlock. John's line ("I was so alone, and I owe you so much") could have been Moriarity's, too.
sagitare
sagitare

Back to top Go down

Post  allochthonous Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:51 pm

This parody is brilliant - the kid has both character's mannerisms down pat.
allochthonous
allochthonous

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:59 pm

Steven Moffat 'Guardian' interview:
"There is a clue everybody's missed," he says tantalisingly. "So many people theorising about Sherlock's death online – and they missed it! We've worked out how Sherlock survives, and actually shot part of what really happened. It all makes sense." In this, he argues, he and co-writer Mark Gatiss have gone one better than Doyle. "He cheated outrageously. He has Watson deduce that Holmes fell off a waterfall. But there was no body. And it only means one thing in a detective show when there's no body." That the victim survived. So you set yourself the test of killing off Sherlock, putting his corpse in plain view and then bringing him back from the dead to watch his own funeral? "Yes. We had to have Holmes dying in Watson's arms – and get away with that, which we have." But how? Moffat sips his tea silently.

Sherlock will be back for a third series of three 90-minute episodes, hopefully before the year is out, he says.

Oh please please please let the series be back this year! It can be my birthday present AND Christmas present and I promise I won't even mention getting a pony ever again!!!

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  sixchooks Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:08 pm

Funny, and I fully endorse the ending.

sagitare, I think you're on to something there, especially thinking back to the conversation over tea. Moriarty was constantly pushing Sherlock to agree that regular people are boring and inferior, only good for amusement. So why did Moriarty kill himself? The game was more important than their continued opposition (in life)?
sixchooks
sixchooks

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:24 pm

Oh oh! I forgot to mention that I got my Sherlock series 2 blu-ray today in HMV! It's mine, all mine, my PRREECCCIOUUUSSS!!

There's a 'Sherlock Uncovered' extra on it which apparently goes behind the scenes and whatnot. I'm looking forward to watching that.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  sixchooks Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:30 pm

Queen Six, I flail excitedly for you!!!!

Are the DVDs region-free? Any idea? I want them for my birthday in just a few days...
sixchooks
sixchooks

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:43 pm

sixchooks, they're not region free. I checked and while Amazon.co.uk does say that the blu-ray is region free, other sites say it's Region B, which is the PAL system. I hope this does not inconvenience your birthday in any way!

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  ActonBell Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:47 pm

sixchooks, they're not region free.

So I guess you could say they are SHERlocked.
ActonBell
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  allochthonous Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:22 pm

ActonBell wrote:

*facepalm*
allochthonous
allochthonous

Back to top Go down

Post  sagitare Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:53 pm

ActonBell wrote:

ZING!

And that parody is a hoot! I thought he was particularly good as Watson.

So why did Moriarty kill himself? The game was more important than their continued opposition (in life)?
In some ways, yes. I honestly think that Moriarity was just tired of it all because prior to Sherlock I don't think it was much of a game to him anymore, not when you can play it so much better than anyone else. He was long past the point where he was in it for money or power or even fame. When it comes right down to it, I think he just wanted something to do, but ultimately there really wasn't a challenge big enough or a problem hard enough, that he couldn't solve it. What's the point? I think having Sherlock say to him that he wasn't alone was in some way like being given permission to just stop.

But, Moriarity being who he was, I think he must have figured out and planned for whatever Sherlock had going to try and catch him. So offing himself might have also been his last move in the game between them, one big final play in a scenario he knew Sherlock thought he had worked out. It's Moriarity showing Sherlock that he's a few steps behind still!
sagitare
sagitare

Back to top Go down

Post  sixchooks Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:08 pm

Okay, I continue to enjoy this line of thinking...but I disagree with Moriarty being a step ahead of Sherlock. I prefer to think that Sherlock actually figured out how to make him "call it off." He'd already set up his own death, so he just had to figure out how to engineer Moriarty's. And he did - via the simultaneous challenge and sympathy of "I am you." If I die, so must you. OMGWTFVOLDEMORT.

I think I'm boned on the DVDs for now, sadly. Drat. I can watch the episodes whenever I want, but I wanted the extras (as well as permanent ownership).
sixchooks
sixchooks

Back to top Go down

Post  sagitare Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:31 pm

sixchooks wrote:Okay, I continue to enjoy this line of thinking...but I disagree with Moriarty being a step ahead of Sherlock. I prefer to think that Sherlock actually figured out how to make him "call it off." He'd already set up his own death, so he just had to figure out how to engineer Moriarty's. And he did - via the simultaneous challenge and sympathy of "I am you." If I die, so must you. OMGWTFVOLDEMORT.
Hee! See, I don't think Sherlock saw Moriarity's death coming at all, but luckily we won't have to wait until next year to find out!
sagitare
sagitare

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:42 pm

sagitare wrote:
sixchooks wrote:Okay, I continue to enjoy this line of thinking...but I disagree with Moriarty being a step ahead of Sherlock. I prefer to think that Sherlock actually figured out how to make him "call it off." He'd already set up his own death, so he just had to figure out how to engineer Moriarty's. And he did - via the simultaneous challenge and sympathy of "I am you." If I die, so must you. OMGWTFVOLDEMORT.
Hee! See, I don't think Sherlock saw Moriarity's death coming at all, but luckily we won't have to wait until next year to find out!

Yes, we will. Sue Vertue tweeted tonight that Steven Moffat's comments shouldn't be construed that it would be transmitted this year. It might get filmed but it'll be next year before we see it.
Screw this, if I can't get Sherlock as a present, I want my pony this year!

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  vwlphb Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:23 pm

Well hopefully they mean January of next year, like it was this year.

vwlphb

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next