Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Unpopular TV Opinions You Hold

+77
choubetcha
Paris, Texas
Kiran
Melk
Mulva
Bad Username
Binky
oxymoron
punzy
Poubelle
Snarryfan
bbridges
Grainne Mhaol
jaraga
Agent Sculder
puddingcup
jensa
Carrie Ann
Menshevixen
Raised by wolves
Gilraen
Cutebutpsycho
PrincessCleo
Miss Moneypenny
maxell131313
Disclaimer
mrinsouciance
Esseilte
QueenSix
wenchsenior
Snarker
sagitare
LadyGayle
Instant Monkeys
biakbiak
BreezyK
Gallifrey Girl
dday515
The Dude
RiverThames
MichiSichi
demgirl
TiffanyNichelle
Raksha
aninnocent
ulkis
mandalaya
katha
ActonBell
laddical
Gillian
Matinee
Shalamar
inversed
caltrask55
katesti
Putli Bai
Luthien
big chicken
tothemax
Unlucky Bear
mokey75
punkysdilemma
Crowbridge
Jasmine
blooey
Eris Rising
xyzzy
mayram
Cynara
harvey the penguin
Auroura76
blixie
queenofdenile
whatthedeuce
truecrystal
jcpdiesel21
81 posters

Page 4 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

Unpopular TV Opinions You Hold - Page 4 Empty Re: Unpopular TV Opinions You Hold

Post  TiffanyNichelle Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:32 pm

I have to say the idea of Penny/Sheldon has always kind of grossed me out.
TiffanyNichelle
TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Unpopular TV Opinions You Hold - Page 4 Empty Re: Unpopular TV Opinions You Hold

Post  Gillian Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:37 am

I saw a lot of pro-Penny/Sheldon talk before I ever saw an episode, and I was STUNNED by the time I actually got around to watching a few episodes of the show. Penny and SHELDON??? That guy? Really??? I mean, really, to each his own, and people like what they like, but I was not expecting Sheldon to be so...Sheldony. I think the only people who would be more weirded out by the concept than me are Penny and Sheldon themselves.

Gillian

Back to top Go down

Post  demgirl Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:35 pm

I don't get Homeland. It's not bad. It's, you know, fine. But the "ZOMG -- brilliance!!" thing? I don't get it. Claire Danes is good, even though I kind of dislike her as a human being. Mandy Patankin is good, even though he's a loon. Damian Lewis is good too. But I find the writing sort of predictible and it felt like the entire first season was just a circle where not much happened. Then there's the fact that there's probably a mole in the CIA and no one seems particularly concerned about it, nor does the show seem to be particularly invested in the storyline. I don't know. I just don't get it, I guess. But I'm terrified to admit that, because people who love it, well, they LOVE it and their defense of it is so over the top sometimes that it's just easier to be like, "Oh, yeah. Amazing show. Totally."

demgirl

Back to top Go down

Post  MichiSichi Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:56 am

I still have Homeland in my TIVO - not sure if to watch or not because this show is based and written by the same person on the Israeli show (which everyone watched here and was in awe of) - I too am not sure if this is the show for me...
MichiSichi
MichiSichi

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:25 pm

I've watched half the season, and I'm interested in watching the back half via Showtime On Demand, but I'm not DYING to watch it. It's really good, yes, but I'm with you: not OMFGBLOWMYBRAINSOUT good.
RiverThames
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:26 pm

demgirl wrote:Then there's the fact that there's probably a mole in the CIA and no one seems particularly concerned about it,

As soon as I learned this show had the same producers as 24, I figured out exactly where it was going to go. It was pretty much the same twists. At some point, they shouted something about the perimeter, and I giggled like a crazy person. With that said, I loved it. But I do worry that season 2 will follow the same shitty path season 2 of 24 did, where half of the season is good and half is utterly dreadful.
mokey75
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:34 pm

I want to try Homeland because everyone's raving about it and because Damian Lewis is cool people, and yet I can't get myself to actually download an ep.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:46 am

I managed to go until last week without ever watching an episode of American Idol
The Dude
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  dday515 Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:30 pm

Game of Thrones - Can't get into it. I thinks its endlessly complicated, I can't keep straight who is whom, and gratuitous sex doesn't make for a interesting plot.

I feel like I'm missing something, since so many folks feel the love - but its just not doing it for me.

dday515

Back to top Go down

Post  Gallifrey Girl Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:47 pm

dday515 wrote: I can't keep straight who is whom.

I love it myself, but...when I watch it, I do wonder how the people who haven't read the books keep track of everyone. I think I would have trouble myself if I wasn't already familiar with the characters.

Gallifrey Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  tothemax Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:13 pm

I watched the first season before reading the books and I didn't know how a majority of the characters were related until I read the books.

tothemax

Back to top Go down

Post  TiffanyNichelle Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:19 pm

This is where my love of soap operas come in to play. I'm usually trying to work out how certain characters can date without it being incest so with GoT it's a little easier to keep track of people.
TiffanyNichelle
TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  BreezyK Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:35 pm

Yeah, I watch with my husband and I tell him who everyone is when he asks (he has a hard time keeping track of them all as well). This is especially tough for GoT bc you can't really google it without spoiling the hell out of yourself.

BreezyK

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:46 pm

I don't know if it comes from years of watching The Wire or not but I haven't read the books and can follow okay. Though it was definitely easier when I rewatched series 1.
biakbiak
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:31 pm

I read Book 1, then watched most of Season 1, then read Book 2, and I have found the combo helpful. I get really bogged down with Ser This Guy and Ser That Guy, this Lannister cousin who's married to this lord, this castle that's currently occupied by that guy who took it from this other guy, Boras Thisname and Boras Thatname, Varys, Viserys, Jory, Jorah, Aemon, Aerys, Aenys (yes, there is a guy named Aenys) the Tarlys, the Tyrells, the Gold Cloaks, the Red Cloaks, the Kingsguard, the City Watch, etc. In particular there's a scene in Book 2 at Winterfell where there's basically an unending list of nobles and knights and shit sitting around talking about their relatives and their castles and their interactions past and present, and I was like, I hope if I actually need to know any of these people later the book will remind me, because I am NOT GOING TO RETAIN ANY OF THIS.

Reading the book, then having it reinforced in the series with (and this is key) only the most important characters given names and faces, has helped me sort it out. Now I can even distinguish more of the minor characters by how they're NOT in the TV show (or not very much). And reading Book 2, I had a better handle on it. I expect after seeing Season 2 I will have a better handle on the folks who are prominent in the second book.

So basically, after both reading the book and watching the season I have a decent grasp of most people, but before that I have some trouble.

Hell, in the second book
Spoiler:
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  LadyGayle Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:46 pm

I haven't read the books, but I've mostly been able to keep everyone straight. I can't always match names to faces, but I can retain that this person is that person's friend/rival/brother/lover/mortal enemy. Maybe, like TiffanyNichelle, my years of soap watching is coming in handy.

LadyGayle

Back to top Go down

Post  sagitare Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:30 am

dday515 wrote:Game of Thrones - Can't get into it. I thinks its endlessly complicated, I can't keep straight who is whom, and gratuitous sex doesn't make for a interesting plot.

I feel like I'm missing something, since so many folks feel the love - but its just not doing it for me.
That's pretty much what I've been thinking from the point of view of the books. I just started reading the first book and I know I've only kept reading because I've been watching the series - having those faces and voices in my mind as I'm reading has helped make the material more accessible and interesting. Without that, the book's over-written/over-plotted type of story and style does nothing for me but make me kind of stabby. I'm just curious as to how it was adapted - how the characters translated, what was left out, what was put in, that sort of thing, but honestly, for such a long and convoluted book series I think I'm happy just sticking to the show to see what happens.
sagitare
sagitare

Back to top Go down

Post  punkysdilemma Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:10 am

I really like the show, but I couldn't get through the first book either. So it goes.

FWIW, I've found the Game of Thrones Wiki extremely useful for figuring out what the hell is going on without getting spoiled -- the contributors have been very good about not posting major book spoilers.
punkysdilemma
punkysdilemma

Back to top Go down

Post  Snarker Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:02 pm

My Doctor Who opinion is that I can't stand Rory Williams. He's a dull, dreary, drippy killjoy who has no sense of adventure and Amy should have ditched his whiny ass long ago.

I tried to watch It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and I didn't laugh once. The characters aren't edgy, they're just a$$hole$.

Snarker

Back to top Go down

Post  wenchsenior Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:36 pm

I first read the first book of the Game of Thrones series a few years after it was published (a LONG time ago). I could only keep a few of the characters straight, even though I was a veteran reader of "big" novels with casts of thousands. I was clinically depressed at the time, and I assumed that my inability was due to that, but now I'm not so sure. I liked the book but wasn't motivated to pick up the sequel, and actually forgot that I had read it within a few years. About 5 years later, I was haunted by this dreamlike memory of the sky-cells, but I couldn't be sure what book I'd read it in. Finally figured it out, picked up the book again, reread it, fell in love, rec'd it to husband/mother/aunt, who all read it and loved it. And we were all off to read the whole series. HOWEVER, I still found it difficult to track all the secondary/tertiary characters until my third read-through a year ago. And if I were watching the tv series without having read the series multiple times? I would be struggling for sure in terms of the detail of the exact relationships (much like Band of Brothers, which I found SO GODDAMN FRUSTRATING to watch because I could only keep about 4 characters straight until the series was nearly over.)

To sum up this long post, I am amazed that so many newbies are into GoT, and that it has been such a success. I was hoping for that, but I wouldn't have bet on it.

wenchsenior

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:07 pm

Snarker wrote:My Doctor Who opinion is that I can't stand Rory Williams. He's a dull, dreary, drippy killjoy who has no sense of adventure and Amy should have ditched his whiny ass long ago.

Holy crap, are you me??? I'm seriously wondering if you and I have some kind of Tyler Durden thing going on because I've written those exact words on several occasions. I'm sad Amy has to leave too just so we're rid of him. I'm really hoping the new companion doesn't have a boyfriend to guilt trip her and harsh her buzz. I just want the Doctor and his BFF running around having awesome adventures, dammit!
Raksha
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:15 pm

Raksha wrote:
Snarker wrote:My Doctor Who opinion is that I can't stand Rory Williams. He's a dull, dreary, drippy killjoy who has no sense of adventure and Amy should have ditched his whiny ass long ago.

Holy crap, are you me??? I'm seriously wondering if you and I have some kind of Tyler Durden thing going on because I've written those exact words on several occasions. I'm sad Amy has to leave too just so we're rid of him. I'm really hoping the new companion doesn't have a boyfriend to guilt trip her and harsh her buzz. I just want the Doctor and his BFF running around having awesome adventures, dammit!

*clutches heart, pearls and nearby bar of chocolate*

GASP!! Such hatred towards poor Rory Williams Pond!! I am aghast!

tothemax put you up to this, didn't he??!! He's not content with hating them himself, he has to drag others into it as well!! I must create a large sparkly banner that proclaims the awesomeness of Rory Pond!!!*

*I'm just joking. I don't make banners.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  Snarker Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:52 am

Raksha wrote:

I saw Arthur Darville in an adaptation of Little Dorrit and he was good as the mooching, layabout brother - completely different from wimpy buzzkill Rory, so it's not the actor. I just don't see why Amy should settle down so early and with a guy who wants her to be a boring housewife.

Another UO: I loved LOST until the end. So what if they didn't answer the questions, the characters are great.

Snarker

Back to top Go down

Post  Esseilte Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:06 pm

I also can't stand Rory, with the exception of only one or two moments.

I thought originally about blaming Arthur Darville's lack of chin (I know, I'm shallow, but I really must insist on men having a good chin) but I've seen him in interviews and as himself he's an attractive, likeable man. So it's basically Rory I want to shove down a bottomless pit. I hate that he's so humdrum and so determined Amy should be too.
Esseilte
Esseilte

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Tue May 01, 2012 12:36 am

By the end, there were so many damn questions that I can't even recall which ones I wanted answered anymore. I loved the Lost finale and adored the show from start to finish, Esseilte!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next