Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Daily Show, Colbert Report and Minority Report

+37
puddingcup
Algae
laddical
swsa
Gallifrey Girl
Agent Sculder
blixie
Tabby
Cutebutpsycho
The Dude
Eris Rising
vwlphb
Snarryfan
Wildog27
mandalaya
bookworm
emrie
Gillian
mokey75
paablish
sen3
sunni94
nikita
Jude
ActonBell
punkysdilemma
Francie Nolan
bbridges
Instant Monkeys
maxell131313
Morning Angel
katesti
Miss Moneypenny
Binky
dinahmoe
biakbiak
VodouDoll
41 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

The Daily Show, Colbert Report and Minority Report - Page 5 Empty Re: The Daily Show, Colbert Report and Minority Report

Post  bookworm Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:42 pm

Looks like Larry Wilmore's The Nightly Show is canceled. I'm so sad. I found it a unique voice in late night, and that the issues it covered were pertinent and timely. Boooooooooooooooo.
bookworm
bookworm

Back to top Go down

The Daily Show, Colbert Report and Minority Report - Page 5 Empty Re: The Daily Show, Colbert Report and Minority Report

Post  vwlphb Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:23 pm

Boo! I really enjoyed his show. It took a while to get its feet, but once it did he was pretty solid.

Also they're saying the last show is this Thursday. That's so short notice - they couldn't even let it run through the election? What are they going to run in its place, @midnight @11:30? I like the show but it's not an equivalent exchange.

ETA: Found an article. It will in fact be @midnight at 11:30. Because what we need right now is internet memes instead of a news/political type show.
“I’m really grateful to Comedy Central, Jon Stewart, and our fans to have had this opportunity,” Mr. Wilmore said in a statement. “But I’m also saddened and surprised we won’t be covering this crazy election or ‘The Unblackening’ as we’ve coined it. And keeping it 100, I guess I hadn’t counted on ‘The Unblackening’ happening to my time slot as well.”

vwlphb

Back to top Go down

Post  Gallifrey Girl Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:54 pm

I really wanted to like his show! I really did! I gave it a few months, and enjoyed his opening monologues, but the panel part just didn't work for me. I heard they changed that after I stopped watching and did more comedy sketches in the second segment, and just the panel at the end. Hopefully Larry finds something else soon, as he's talented.

Gallifrey Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  mandalaya Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:44 pm

Same here, GG. I found it little too mean sometimes, and just not funny most of the time. I did check in on it periodically and found a good show here and there, but most of them just weren't funny. The panel could've been good, but the experts often seemed shy and the comedians would dominate the convo with poor and often-uninformed jokes. I think one of the frequent panelists was also a writer for the show, and I found him so unfunny that that was probably a big part of the problem right there. I liked Larry himself and his monologues, and it was refreshing to hear his commentary on whatever racist horribleness was happening at the moment instead of yet another white person. I also hope he finds a better gig.
mandalaya
mandalaya

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:09 pm

Gallifrey Girl wrote:I really wanted to like his show! I really did! I gave it a few months, and enjoyed his opening monologues, but the panel part just didn't work for me. I heard they changed that after I stopped watching and did more comedy sketches in the second segment, and just the panel at the end. Hopefully Larry finds something else soon, as he's talented.

The panel finally came together when they had less people on it, and limited to one "guest." It took a while, but I feel like they finally put together an interesting and entertaining show.

I really enjoyed its coverage of topical issues, particularly police shootings and Bill Cosby. I'm really going to miss it.
bookworm
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  mayram Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:54 pm

bookworm wrote:
Gallifrey Girl wrote:I really wanted to like his show! I really did! I gave it a few months, and enjoyed his opening monologues, but the panel part just didn't work for me. I heard they changed that after I stopped watching and did more comedy sketches in the second segment, and just the panel at the end. Hopefully Larry finds something else soon, as he's talented.

The panel finally came together when they had less people on it, and limited to one "guest."  It took a while, but I feel like they finally put together an interesting and entertaining show.

I really enjoyed its coverage of topical issues, particularly police shootings and Bill Cosby.  I'm really going to miss it.

They had a Donald Trump panel with Arsenio Hall and a few others that was just fantastic.

I only recently discovered the show, so I feel somewhat to blame for its abrupt cancellation. Nothing I like ever lasts long. :(

Larry Wilmore's delivery cracks me up and I really enjoyed his perspective, this is a bummer. Have they issued a statement as to why the sudden cancellation?

mayram

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:33 pm

The show also covered women's issues surprisingly well (probably because of the number of women who were contributors).
bookworm
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5