Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Daily Show, Colbert Report and Minority Report

+37
puddingcup
Algae
laddical
swsa
Gallifrey Girl
Agent Sculder
blixie
Tabby
Cutebutpsycho
The Dude
Eris Rising
vwlphb
Snarryfan
Wildog27
mandalaya
bookworm
emrie
Gillian
mokey75
paablish
sen3
sunni94
nikita
Jude
ActonBell
punkysdilemma
Francie Nolan
bbridges
Instant Monkeys
maxell131313
Morning Angel
katesti
Miss Moneypenny
Binky
dinahmoe
biakbiak
VodouDoll
41 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

The Daily Show, Colbert Report and Minority Report - Page 4 Empty Re: The Daily Show, Colbert Report and Minority Report

Post  mandalaya Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:34 am

I really can't think of who would make a good replacement. I don't think he necessarily started out this way, but Stewart has become extremely knowledgeable and incisive about politics and the economy, and that is (usually) reflected in his interviewing. I hope the staff is prepared to support the crap out of the new person. I would love for it to be a woman.

I like the Nightly Show, but it doesn't usually make me laugh. I think that's the tension - the roundtable is about difficult topics, not fantastically moderated so far, and this is on Comedy Central. But I like Larry Wilmore, maybe they'll find their rhythm.
mandalaya
mandalaya

Back to top Go down

The Daily Show, Colbert Report and Minority Report - Page 4 Empty Re: The Daily Show, Colbert Report and Minority Report

Post  Algae Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:38 pm

I just saw Aisha Tyler recommended somewhere and now I think she could be pretty good.
Algae
Algae

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:02 pm

I'm sorry to see him go, but I kind of think maybe they should scrap it and start over with something else, honestly. But that may just be my political fatigue talking. I can't help but wonder if Stewart saw the same bunch of yahoos ramping up to run again, and thought, "no thank you." I've had a difficult time watching it since the election, because it's just so.. depressing? I don't know if that's the right word, but I'm sure I'm in the minority. I just hope Stewart ends up doing something he loves, because I've loved him since the MTV show days.
mokey75
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:56 am

Eris Rising
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  emrie Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:15 am

I'm thrilled. I loved his first appearance which led to me watching a ton of his standup, and I think he's terrific. Such smart humor, that has warmth and yet can sting when needed. And now I feel as proud of him as if I'd actually discovered him!

emrie

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:39 pm

I've liked him so far on the show, but I have no idea how he'll be since I don't have much to go on.
bookworm
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  puddingcup Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:25 pm

A while ago I heard him talk about his childhood and his story was amazing, heartbreaking, and funny…but I can't remember where I heard it, and I had forgotten his name since (I remember the South African background, African mother, Swiss father part), but I do remember being completely riveted. I thought it was the Moth, but I can't find any Moth talk by him. Anyway, I think he is a great choice.

puddingcup

Back to top Go down

Post  Never Enough Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:14 pm

If you heard it the same place I did, then it was the WTF podcast. SUPER fascinating, personal history explaining aparthied. His parents technically had two apartments next to each other, so the mom could pretend to be the maid. Lots of times Trevor would have to hide in the back room when there were surprise inspections (since he was obviously mixed race).

Never Enough

Back to top Go down

Post  emrie Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:21 pm

Also, in this more serious interview he sings a song in Xhosa. And everyone swoons!

I'm sure it'll be awkward in the beginning. I think every host, serious or satirical, takes awhile to get their own tone down. Everyone complained about the first week or two of John Oliver, and then he rocked it. I think it was a good move to pick someone whose personality is so different from Jon Stewarts, so it can really become a new show. And Trevor seems smart as heck, thoughtful, and funny.

Last edited by emrie on Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

emrie

Back to top Go down

Post  puddingcup Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:22 pm

YES. Thank you, Never Enough, that must have been it. It was embedded in a longer podcast with another guest, I think.

puddingcup

Back to top Go down

Post  katesti Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:03 am

Fine, I'll be the shallow one.

I appreciate this move because he is HOT LIKE FIRE.

(All the other stuff you guys said is right on, but also omg. So hot.)

katesti

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:47 am

Haha, thank you katesti. I was going to say that like a million times today, but I honestly haven't watched TDS outside of clips on the internet in a few years so I felt silly posting anything about this. But um whoa he is like Top Ten Most Beautiful People in the world maybe and now I am VERY INTERESTED IN THIS DAILY SHOW you speak of.
Carrie Ann
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  Morning Angel Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:15 am

emrie wrote:I'm thrilled. I loved his first appearance which led to me watching a ton of his standup, and I think he's terrific. Such smart humor, that has warmth and yet can sting when needed. And now I feel as proud of him as if I'd actually discovered him!

Me too.  I enjoyed him a lot on the Daily Show, and then looked up a bunch of his standup on Netflix & YouTube.  I'm absolutely sold on him.  I think he'll bring a great perspective to the show whatever he decides to make of it.

Edited to add: Speaking of podcast episodes, he was also on The Daily Show Without Jon Stewart podcast, and that was where I heard a bit more about his background. Fascinating.
Morning Angel
Morning Angel

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:18 am

Personally, I was hoping for Sam Bee or Jessica Williams. Or you know, any funny woman, really. I haven't seen enough of him to know whether or not I like him, but this article about his twitter history is ... off-putting.
mokey75
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:30 pm

I think Sam Bee and definitely Jessica Williams took themselves out of the running. A woman would have been great in general though.
Carrie Ann
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  Never Enough Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:30 pm

puddingcup wrote:YES. Thank you, Never Enough, that must have been it. It was embedded in a longer podcast with another guest, I think.

You're welcome! I would have sworn he had his own episode, but a quick google search shows other names in his episode title. I guess I was so enraptured by his stories that I completely blocked out the rest of the episode.

Those tweets are... not good.

Never Enough

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:38 pm

I think the tweets can be explained as a comedian who jokes about culture and identity, as a person who is half native South African and half Swiss/German.  He was an illegal child in South Africa.  He jokes a lot about how when he speaks German he sounds like Hitler.  Or how in America he's black but in South Africa he's mixed.  It sounds like his life has been an existence in a kind of no man's land.  Twitter is not a good place for nuance.  People tend to take everything at face value.

That said, the fat chick jokes are old and tired.
bookworm
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:20 pm

Go back far enough in Jon Stewart's comedy routines and you can also find some less than PC, objectionable material.
naughty zoot
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:16 pm

Yeah...I'm really not okay with excusing years of misogynistic and anti-semitic jokes. There's a very consistent message here that I find pretty hard to overlook. These are the types of jokes I expect to see from SAE frat boys, basically. lol, Adele is fat! Fat chicks can only get laid when people are drunk! Jewish girls don't go down! I almost hit a jewish kid with my german car! Irony! And, I mean, these are just...no.

There are a lot of dumbass, low-brow comedians out there. But I don't really want any of them trying to intelligently satirize our media or political landscape either.

In the end though, it doesn't really matter to me personally as unless they had come up with someone really exciting, I was probably going to bail anyway. I'm just glad we have Last Week Tonight.
swsa
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:01 pm

The tweets aren't great Bob, but they are four years old, and I hate twitter and think no one comes off well in 140 characters. Mainly I just don't think he's that funny. I watched his special and he's very very cute, and has an appealing stage presence, but I think I laughed once at his entire Netflix special. People have compared him to Conan but Conan was only unproven in front of the camera, not in terms of his overall cv.

I will still watch TDS because Aasif Mandvi is my boyfriend and I love him, and I'd like to see Noah succeed and have the show find a fresh new life.

blixie
Mod Squad

https://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:25 am

One of the tweets was from last year, but yes, the most offensive of them seem to be from a while back. But four years ago isn't exactly ancient times.

Comedy is subjective, obviously, so it's not surprising that people are divided. Personally, I don't mind it when a comedian pushes the boundaries if they do it in a clever, interesting, NEW way. Those jokes were none of those things for me - I thought they were hacky, Catskills-style jokes. I knew nothing about him other than that I'd seen him on TDS a couple of times, and now this, so I'm not exactly bowled over by the prospect of him heading up TDS. I'm sure this will all go away, and I'm sure he'll do a serviceable job, but I'm not really interested in watching once Jon leaves.
mokey75
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  emrie Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:00 am

So many emotions tonight. So sad. Stephen's tribute to Jon was lovely. And I loved everyone dorkily dancing along at the end.

Goodbye, Jon. Goodluck, Trevor.

emrie

Back to top Go down

Post  Gillian Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:31 am

Of all the late night finales we've had recently, all of which were heartbreaking for this TV-obsessed night owl, this one was favorite. I loved the return of the correspondents and the Goodfellas behind the scenes bit (I'm a huge sucker for that kind of thing), but my absolute favorite moment was Jon getting so hilariously squirmy when Stephen started his thank you speech. I loved the two of them rolling around in their chairs as Stephen told him to suck it up and accept the gratitude. It really hit me that we're losing the televised version of that bromance, and damn I will miss it. I could deal with losing The Colbert Report because I knew Stephen would be back on TV soon, and Jon was still there to have him on The Daily Show if he felt so inclined. And now it's really over. Even if Jon does end up appearing on Colbert's Late Show some day, it won't be the same. I started watching The Daily Show when I was a senior in high school. I grew up in Texas in a conservative (a very sane, rational conservative) household, idolizing my dad and happily accepting his viewpoints about the world as my own. Jon Stewart's Daily Show played a huge role in me developing my own adult point of view. It made 19-year-old me want to be more informed and start having political opinions of my own. Once I started forming them, the show was a comfort in a world gone crazy. It's been a presence for my entire adult life, and it's going to be weird not having it around anymore. Thank the gods for John Oliver and Last Week Tonight.

Gillian

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:30 am

Good to know he worked some ish out with Cenac. I loved the deliveries of Arby's to the office. Hee.

blixie
Mod Squad

https://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Tabby Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:31 pm

Besides the love-fest from the former contributors and correspondents, I loved the "goodbye, we won't miss you" segment: people like the president of Arby's, Hillary Clinton, John McCain, Wolf Blitzer, Joe and Mika, Bill O'Reilly, etc.

Arby's has shown a really good sense of humor about being a running gag. Their ad during the penultimate show was hilarious.

Tabby
Tabby

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next