Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Daily Show, Colbert Report and Minority Report

+37
puddingcup
Algae
laddical
swsa
Gallifrey Girl
Agent Sculder
blixie
Tabby
Cutebutpsycho
The Dude
Eris Rising
vwlphb
Snarryfan
Wildog27
mandalaya
bookworm
emrie
Gillian
mokey75
paablish
sen3
sunni94
nikita
Jude
ActonBell
punkysdilemma
Francie Nolan
bbridges
Instant Monkeys
maxell131313
Morning Angel
katesti
Miss Moneypenny
Binky
dinahmoe
biakbiak
VodouDoll
41 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

The Daily Show, Colbert Report and Minority Report - Page 3 Empty Re: The Daily Show, Colbert Report and Minority Report

Post  biakbiak Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:46 am

Farewell to an American hero but that sing along was freaking epic! Can't wait to see the full list of names.
biakbiak
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

The Daily Show, Colbert Report and Minority Report - Page 3 Empty Re: The Daily Show, Colbert Report and Minority Report

Post  Tabby Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:36 pm

I loved that sing-along so very much.

The Washington Post has a list (they say they're not sure it's complete).
Tabby
Tabby

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:46 pm

Definitely not complete just off the top my head they left out Gloria Steinam, Yo Yo Ma and Eliot Spitzer.
biakbiak
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:02 pm

I thought I saw Michele Norris too. My favorite pairings were Big Bird/Cyndi Lauper and Franco with Cookie Monster in the background.

blixie
Mod Squad

https://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:09 pm

There is this tiny little moment that I adore, Sam Waterston reaches back and grabs Big Birds hand!
biakbiak
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  Snarryfan Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:29 pm

I got a little misty at the end. I do love that by making the character immortal it means we could see him come back someday--if he's needed.

Snarryfan

Back to top Go down

Post  Tabby Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:36 pm

Father Jim Martin (the Jesuit priest who was the "show chaplain") was in there, too. And was that Dean Kamen on the Segway?
Tabby
Tabby

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:32 pm

Vulture lists everyone with pictures!
biakbiak
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:09 am

biakbiak wrote:Vulture lists everyone with pictures!
Ah, this is fabulous! I half-recognized about five times as many people as I actually recognized. And, in a supreme moment of shame for me and my bad facial recognition, I guessed the guy toward the beginning was Steven Chu, and it was Yo-Yo Ma, and not only do I totally know what Yo-Yo Ma looks like having seen him many times, I ACTUALLY HUNG OUT WITH HIM ONE TIME at a party at work (he briefly had an office in our building). I am dumb and, apparently, kinda racist. (To be fair I also didn't recognize Tom Brokaw in that group, though I got Mandy Patinkin and, obviously, NDT. The last guy I don't know except as Guy Who Kept Getting In The Way Of Yo-Yo Ma And Therefore It Is His Fault I Thought He Was Steven Chu.)

I wasn't a regular Colbert watcher, but I have great affection for him regardless, and I enjoyed his sendoff. Although I wished for more LOTR geekery. Then again, he did do an entire interview segment with Smaug.

When Stewbeef hangs it up, I don't know what I'll do.
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:32 am

Stephen Colbert as Stephen Colbert was a nine year tour de force. I'm going to miss this show. Even since he was at TDS you could always tell the genuine affection he and Jon had for each other.

Montage of Stephen breaking. Not only did he better knew my district we got him to giggle.
The Dude
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:40 am

biakbiak wrote:Vulture lists everyone with pictures!

I actually thought that Michael Stipe was Ron Paul when he first flashed on the screen. Man's looking a bit worn out.
Eris Rising
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Jude Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:59 pm

Jude

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:21 pm

Jude wrote:NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Jon Stewart is leaving The Daily Show.

I suppose that it had to happen eventually, but this is a punch to the gut.
Eris Rising
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  punkysdilemma Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:39 pm

Well, shit. I hope they continue the show with another carefully selected host, but them's some big shoes to fill. I can't think of any other show that has been as consistently hilarious for the last, what, fifteen years?
punkysdilemma
punkysdilemma

Back to top Go down

Post  emrie Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:17 pm

emrie

Back to top Go down

Post  Gillian Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:26 pm

My sister texted me the terrible, horrible news while I was in the middle of the office supplies aisle at Target, and I swear my heart dropped into my stomach. I couldn't even tell you how long I've been watching Stewart on The Daily Show. It keeps me sane on the days when living in a red state gets to be a bit . . . much.

Gillian

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:01 pm

I am SO SAD about this.

It eases the blow that he was gone for a few weeks and like, I survived. And also that John Oliver has his own show in a similar vein. But, man. MAN. I'm devastated.

Do you think one of the correspondents will replace him? I feel like a lot of people are thinking Jason Jones, and I'm just not a huge fan of his. But of the current roster I don't know who I'd pick instead (Jessica Williams is fantastic, but I also like her doing on-the-street stuff because she's so good at it).
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:06 pm

I'm partial to Asif Mandvi, but would love Williams as well (though I guess in terms of pure tenure Samantha Bee should be considered). I'm sad, it's the end of an era, but I also liked this show before he showed up so, I'm hopeful it can sustain without him there.

blixie
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  Agent Sculder Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:26 pm

After 15 years, I know Jon doesn't really owe his viewers anything, but I can't help being crushed that neither he or Steven Colbert will be around for the presidential election in 2016. Who else is going to help me keep my sanity?

Agent Sculder

Back to top Go down

Post  Gallifrey Girl Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:30 am

Man this makes me so sad. Particularly coming just after losing Colbert.

My 18 year old son has been my partner-in-viewing for both since he was 13. It brought a lot of discussion between us about world events and politics that I know we wouldn't have had otherwise.

Gallifrey Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:53 am

I'm so sad he won't stick around for this next election.

Comedy Central is going to be in a lot of trouble if they don't get someone who can hit it out of the park right away. The Nightly Show is really not working, and losing that hour could be disastrous for them. They really could end up with @midnight being their strongest show soon.

I really don't think any of the current correspondents have what it takes. The closest for me is Aasif Mandvi. I don't think Williams has the brains or delivery, Samantha Bee is too abstract, and Jones is too boring. I have a feeling they'll be looking outside the show. Especially as my guess is they're feeling like the Larry Wilmore decision isn't working like they hoped.
swsa
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:09 am

I think my problem with The Nightly Show is the roundtable. I like Larry Wilmore during his "anchor" segment, but as a roundtable host he's lacking and the guests themselves have been lackluster. The half-hour format just doesn't work with a roundtable - by the time everyone's in their groove and getting a feel for each other, it's time to wrap. I don't want it to just be a cookie-cutter copy of The Daily Show, and I love the fact that it takes one topic and really focuses in on it - but I feel like it needs to jettison the roundtable and be more like a topical Daily Show than Larry Wilmore's Politically Incorrect.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Algae Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:21 am

Do you think Comedy Central could get John Oliver to leave HBO? I love Oliver, but hardly watch him since we don't have HBO.
Algae
Algae

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:14 am

No way, imo. John Oliver is getting rave reviews on HBO, only has to do one show a week, and seems to have a lot of freedom in what he chooses to cover. He'd be crazy to leave.
swsa
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:23 am

Yeah I can't see Oliver leaving, his gig is technically better than TDS, in the sense of he doesn't have an strict format he's following, and he has been rocking a long form version of TDS, that's more akin to a satirical PBS News hour.

If they go outside the current staff, I feel like Joel McHale is great option though he's more reminiscent of the Kilborn years, but otherwise his The Soup gig is similar enough in the style of mocking media and culture, so he could hit the ground running fairly easily.

blixie
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next