Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Upcoming Films

+96
UmaOprah
Kookla
Esme
Gilraen
choubetcha
eventide82
mandalaya
PrincessCleo
katesti
year of the cat
themis
truecrystal
Snarryfan
GoodbyeWithWords
chibimanda
mialoubug
Gillian
Carrie Ann
Coneycat
Sheli
mayram
bookworm
slmader
chick binewski
Arabella
Morning Angel
wenchsenior
easybreezy
Skyblade
Grainne Mhaol
Lurker
TiffanyNichelle
Rhilin
Agent Sculder
Cynara
The Dude
Menshevixen
particle_person
Crowbridge
Matinee
sen3
Cutebutpsycho
Fiammetta
Jude
Lady V
elleth
Case
ulkis
Eris Rising
draco vulgaris
rivki8699
epudom
GeneralErin
QueenSix
BreezyK
MtOlivePickles
puddingcup
tothemax
The Glen
ActonBell
Red Wolf
blooey
Raksha
Paris, Texas
naughty zoot
Luthien
curryalley
punzy
big chicken
dionneshea
sagitare
dinahmoe
Francie Nolan
Unlucky Bear
maxell131313
Miss Moneypenny
laurelin_kit
mrinsouciance
mokey75
Poubelle
laddical
whatthedeuce
bbridges
punkysdilemma
inversed
Kiran
Putli Bai
Instant Monkeys
jstilwe
Esseilte
jcpdiesel21
biakbiak
RiverThames
blixie
queenofdenile
swsa
100 posters

Page 17 of 25 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 21 ... 25  Next

Go down

Upcoming Films - Page 17 Empty Re: Upcoming Films

Post  Agent Sculder Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:28 am

I have to say while I am surprised at the choice of Ben Affleck to play Batman, I'm not surprised an A-list actor was chosen rather than a more unknown quantity. As much as I thought it would have been cool to cast someone like Jensen Ackles (relative unknown but with the right age/build and ability to brood), I always figured there was no way that would happen. And heck, they could have done WAY worse than Ben Affleck. I think mostly people are surprised because they had written him off because of Daredevil. However, that movie was a while ago, and the guy just came off directing and starring in an Oscar winner. He's a hot property, so it makes sense they'd offer the role to him. I'm just a bit shocked he accepted! I guess I figured he'd want to concentrate more on directing.

Agent Sculder

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:22 am

Carrie Ann wrote: Personally, I'm going to see this as Superman vs. Ben Affleck. And I like the guy! It's just that he's too big of a star for me, and I prefer him in quieter, more down-to-earth roles.
I don't care about Batman, but my husband does, and this was his biggest problem with the casting. Affleck is always Affleck - even with Argo hair, it was like, "oh hey, Ben Affleck's going to save some hostages." But I think he'll be ok otherwise.

I, however, am going to be really pissed if this fucks with the Live By Night movie, because we've already been denied The Given Day.
mokey75
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:04 am

Well, I'm on record as thinking he's a crap actor, so I hate this. But I also find it sort of amusing to see how little he's learned from his past. Sure Ben, go right down this road again. Leading roles in overstuffed blockbusters have always worked out so well for you. I'm not sure I can handle the charisma void of him and Cavill together.

That said, I'm still way more annoyed by his casting in Gone Girl than this.
swsa
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  mayram Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:47 am

Kiran wrote:My favourite was Orlando Bloom. God bless him. I would have wanted to see that for ...just...it'd have been entertaining.
They announced the casting news on the radio this morning (with quite a bit of skepticism from the hosts) and I misheard it as "Efron cast as Batman." Until I read this thread, I didn't realize it was Affleck, which is a step up from Efron at least.

mayram

Back to top Go down

Post  wenchsenior Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:32 am

naughty zoot wrote:People also flipped out when Michael Keaton got the part in '89 and he did a great job.
Keaton is my favorite movie Batman by a ginormous amount. I've never been that thrilled with any of the other choices, and quite honestly (though Affleck seems a weird choice to me) I can't think of who would get me enthused now.

wenchsenior

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:12 pm

Kiran wrote:My favourite was Orlando Bloom. God bless him. I would have wanted to see that for ...just...it'd have been entertaining.
Oh me too.  I would've bought IMAX opening night tickets for that.

I think it has the potential to be good, or the potential to be bad. Look at Clooney. He was the worst Batman ever, but still was able to carry off blockbusters and indie films. I think Affleck is similar in that when he's good he's really good, and when he's bad it is horrendous.
bookworm
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  GoodbyeWithWords Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:56 pm

Could it be some sort of quid pro quo with his directing career? He plays Batman here and gets carte blanche to direct anything he wants?

GoodbyeWithWords

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:11 pm

I really doubt it. I think it's straight up ego. He's been obsessed with megafame since the 90's. I don't think he's content with moving behind the scenes.
swsa
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:16 pm

Eris Rising
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Matinee Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:20 pm

I'm banking on him taking it because it would be a fun part. Shit, I'd be Batman if they offered it to me (and I'm not even a Batman fan!).

Matinee

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:35 pm

Because people are going way hyperbolic. Like I get people that aren't happy with the casting. But some more dramatic edges of the interwebs are acting like they cast that squirrely child from Once Upon a Time.
What I don't get is that even if it is the worst casting the world, who cares? It's not like there haven't been a ton of different batmans and supermans and will be again. I mean not that you want it to be bad casting for your favorite stories and characters but in this instance you know they'll be another chance again. If it sucks it's eventually going to be remade again in some capacity.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  Matinee Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:05 pm

I'm enjoying the various fan rants and meltdowns. It's making me like the casting more and more! I hope Ben Affleck is also cast in Star Wars...

Matinee

Back to top Go down

Post  Snarryfan Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:11 pm

Let's all remember that these same people lost their mind when Heath Ledger was cast as the Joker.

Snarryfan

Back to top Go down

Post  Esseilte Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:15 pm

I wouldn't have thought of him for the part but I don't think it's as great a travesty as the caterwauling hordes on Twitter. He'll probably be fine - my initial objection was that he's short, but actually he's apparently 6'3". So he's Jensen-Ackles-short, as in, NOT but I must have seen him next to a veritable giant.

Could have been a whole lot worse!
Esseilte
Esseilte

Back to top Go down

Post  Matinee Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:18 pm

Personally, I sort of wish they'd gone totally crazy - like, Vince Vaughn as Batman. Batman/Swingers fanboys would be so torn. "But he's so cool! But he never really acts! But he's so money!".

Matinee

Back to top Go down

Post  truecrystal Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:51 pm

I don't think the fact that Boiler Room Rounders Island aka Runner Runner is going to be released soon is going to help make this announcement any more popular.

Keaton was by far my favorite Batman followed by Kilmer. Yes, Kilmer. As much as I like Ben the Guy and even Ben the Director, Ben the Actor is mediocre at best. I can't imagine him being able to give Batman that slightly insane and dark edge that I associate with him. And I really can't imagine him playing a suave and mysterious Bruce Wayne. Ben can certainly play charming, but more in a good frat boy from 'round the neighborhood way. I have no doubt that he'll look great in a tux and the suit though.

truecrystal

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:16 pm

I really hope he'll surprise everyone in his turn as Batman, like Heath did in TDK, because all the hysterical reactions I've seen online and heard on the radio have me rolling my eyes so hard already.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:49 pm

I just don't see the comparisons to the Ledger or Keaton situations. Ledger was largely because he was still very young and no one knew just what he was capable of. Keaton was physically wrong for the part but most admitted he was a great actor. Affleck has been an A-list actor since the late 1990's. People know what he can do. He's not untested. I don't see any surprises coming down the pike here. It'll be the same bland, stone-faced performance he's already given in numerous crappy big budget films.

But this project already lost my interest when they kept Snyder/Goyer on board. A great Batman probably couldn't have saved this when even people like Russell Crowe and Amy Adams had problems rising above the material in MOS.
swsa
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  Skyblade Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:23 pm

Ledger was largely because he was still very young and no one knew just what he was capable of.
Also, from what seems to have been more than a little homophobia because he had played a gay dude once. In fact, I would say there was the "physicality" issue as well...a lot of people wanted a lanky eccentric, and Ledger was so very...Australian.

Skyblade

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:05 am

I think Ben Affleck can act, so I guess thats my major difference of opinion. I mean i know A LOT of people think he can't but I don't think its necessarily a given fact either. I do think he has limited range but so do a lot of actors, and i think his range will probably be fine for  a Zach Snyder film.

My unpopular opinion is I think Ben Affleck is probably too good for this film. You can do better, Ben.

Heath Ledger had proven himself to be an excellent actor, but most of the people complaining thought he was a lightweight teenybopper. They hadn't seen his darker films, from what I remember or if they did they were annoyed that someone young and heartthrobby was being cast. There was a lot of fear after the first picture they were "Crowifying" the Joker.

I actually think the freak out to Ben Affleck is more comparable to Anne Hathaway (who I thought was a great actress too) but a lot of people did not.

I don't know. He might very well suck, but I just don't hate him as an actor. He might be okay. Again, just my opinion. I also think most actors in hollywood are fame hungry though. Or money hungry. Like, if they weren't they'd be doing Ibsen on a street in Russia.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:34 am

I'm enjoying the various fan rants and meltdowns. It's making me like the casting more and more! I hope Ben Affleck is also cast in Star Wars...
well it's not like THAT franchise is known for it's awesome acting, heh. (I have no strong opinion on his acting. He seemed fine in the stuff I saw him in)

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  jstilwe Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:22 am

Kiran wrote:I think Ben Affleck can act, so I guess thats my major difference of opinion. I mean i know A LOT of people think he can't but I don't think its necessarily a given fact either. I do think he has limited range but so do a lot of actors, and i think his range will probably be fine for  a Zach Snyder film.
I'll go even further and say that I think he's pretty underrated as an actor, but that may be my undying affection for his performance in Shakespeare in Love talking. Seriously, he's straight up great in that movie; I've seen it a million times, and his is the performance that always stands out for me.

jstilwe

Back to top Go down

Post  ActonBell Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:38 am

I'm sorry, I just can't get the image of Ben kissing Jennifer Lopez's butt on a yacht in the Jenny From the Block video. It impedes me from taking him seriously.
ActonBell
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:45 am

ActonBell wrote:I'm sorry, I just can't get the image of Ben kissing Jennifer Lopez's butt on a yacht in the Jenny From the Block video. It impedes me from taking him seriously.
And that, my friends, is exactly why no one thinks Bruce Wayne is Batman. Because his public persona essentially is Ben from the Jenny From The Block video.
RiverThames
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  themis Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:41 pm

Oo, I wonder if that came up during casting. I can totally imagine Zack Snyder in a board room disgustedly tossing down the list of potentials. "Look, none of these guys is going to work; too wholesome. Bruce Wayne has got to know his way around partying, strippers, and blow. Who do we know's been in rehab at least twice? Cast the net a little wider. "

themis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 25 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 21 ... 25  Next