Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Downton Abbey (US version)

+46
themis
MLIS
salamandersam
chick binewski
Gallifrey Girl
Kookla
jennlynnster
jstilwe
Genevieve
bookworm
Fraoch
mokey75
Evil Lincoln
weathergal
Lily Rose
choubetcha
dionneshea
Heather
Poubelle
Gilraen
Francie Nolan
Shadowlass
laddical
VodouDoll
biakbiak
LadyGayle
mialoubug
mo pie
Instant Monkeys
naughty zoot
puddingcup
Crowbridge
wenchsenior
Tabby
Unlucky Bear
Morning Angel
Carrie Ann
mrinsouciance
sunni94
Jamie
slmader
Gillian
maxell131313
punzy
inversed
particle_person
50 posters

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Downton Abbey (US version) Empty Downton Abbey (US version)

Post  particle_person Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:22 am

This is the US Downton thread, so keep the spoilers in the British thread, thank you, you're welcome. - The Management.
particle_person
particle_person
Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Downton Abbey (US version) Empty Re: Downton Abbey (US version)

Post  inversed Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:44 am

Oh thank god.

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  punzy Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:50 am

Now I just have to keep away from the other thread.

punzy

Back to top Go down

Post  maxell131313 Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:32 am

Aw, crap! I have been trying so hard not to get spoiled by what happens this season. Avoiding threads, plugging my ears, you name it. And now as I'm reading a story about one of the actors the stupid paper decides to drop a major spoiler at the end of the article. ARRRRGGGHHH!!! I had been doing so well not to know much of anything!
maxell131313
maxell131313

Back to top Go down

Post  Gillian Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:54 am

Yeah, I accidentally clicked on the UK thread last night. I have no one to blame but myself, but it makes me wish I were a downloader.

Gillian

Back to top Go down

Post  slmader Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:55 am

A friend of mine who is not a downloader saw a major spoiler in an article last night. I'm really disappointed for him.

slmader

Back to top Go down

Post  Jamie Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:10 am

I don't watch the show, though of course I've heard of it. I saw this thread and thought someone was remaking it for the US, somehow. Like, I don't know, set in the pre-Civil War south or something. I'm glad to see that's not the case.
Jamie
Jamie

Back to top Go down

Post  sunni94 Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:12 pm

Jamie I would love to watch that show!

I am living in fear every time I go through the grocery store check out thinking I'm going to get spoiled. Same goes for going to ew.com or eonline.com because I will cut someone if they spoil me. I already got spoiled for somegthing major on Sons of Anarchy and I don't want to go through that horror again.

That said, I am thinking of Downton Abby costumes for Halloween.

sunni94

Back to top Go down

Post  mrinsouciance Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:02 pm

Re-watching season 2 on Masterpiece, and was struck last night about what I think is an utter and complete lack of chemistry between the actors playing Sybil and Hanson. Is it just me?

mrinsouciance

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:42 pm

Nope! I can't stand him and their stupid relationship makes me like her less.
Carrie Ann
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  maxell131313 Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:00 pm

Never saw what she found so intriguing about Branson. He talked a good game but never followed through.
maxell131313
maxell131313

Back to top Go down

Post  mrinsouciance Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:22 pm

I appreciate the validation. I liked her a character a lot before he showed up, and like you not so much now. It's not quite the sinkhole of unending despair that Bates is, but it's more a head-scratcher for me.

OTOH I was reminded what an awesome villain Carlyle was last season, and how much wasted space the whole Ethel storyline was.

mrinsouciance

Back to top Go down

Post  Morning Angel Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:12 pm

mrinsouciance wrote:I appreciate the validation. I liked her a character a lot before he showed up, and like you not so much now. It's not quite the sinkhole of unending despair that Bates is, but it's more a head-scratcher for me.

Hee. Bates was one of the better parts of S1, and it's amazing how quickly that got off rails!

Yes, sadly, Sybil was not as awesome in S2 as she was in S1. A lot of people point to Jessica Brown-Findlay as the weak point in the cast. I don't know; I enjoyed her adventures in nursing, but her lovelife was pretty uninteresting in S2. I don't know if she's to blame or if it was more the writing.

For what it's worth, I thought S3 was overall better than S2 so make of that what you will.
Morning Angel
Morning Angel

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:25 am

OTOH I was reminded what an awesome villain Carlyle was last season, and how much wasted space the whole Ethel storyline was.

Sir Richard Carlisle was an awesome villain. I was AMAZED, however, how scorchingly hot that actor is in Game of Thrones compared to him in DA.
Unlucky Bear
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  Tabby Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:01 am

how much wasted space the whole Ethel storyline was
Oh, God, YES. The amount I cared about Ethel is measured in negative numbers.
Tabby
Tabby

Back to top Go down

Post  wenchsenior Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:08 pm

Sir Richard Carlisle was an awesome villain. I was AMAZED, however, how scorchingly hot that actor is in Game of Thrones compared to him in DA. [/quote]

:nods: He distracts me from the actual story in GoT.

wenchsenior

Back to top Go down

Post  Gillian Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:53 am

It's back! I wish I could say that I'm spoiler-free for the whole season, but the freaking internet, man. Still, I'm only spoiled for events, not entire episodes, and these two were delightful. I loved the first hour the most. I wouldn't have minded seeing a bit more of the wedding, but I'm just so happy that it actually happened that I'm not going to complain. I loved all the fanfare in the village with Mary rollin' through Kate Middleton style.

I was horrified to see Edith still chasing after that old dude. He's perfectly nice, but the desperation and low self-esteem are just so embarrassing. But whatever, he caved, so she can finally stop begging. I hope she gets some happiness. Poor thing.

I could definitely lives with less Bates in prison. They need to end this soon, because I'm really starting to think Anna can do better.

Gillian

Back to top Go down

Post  Crowbridge Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:01 am

I just started watching this on Netflix the other day, and I am hooked. The sets, the costumes, the dialogue, everything is wonderful. I already knew about the Bates spoiler (which makes me sad, since he's one of my favorites from season one), but I'll keep watching anyway. It's a fantastic show.

Crowbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  puddingcup Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:35 pm

Wait a sec. Where was the wedding and honeymoon after all of that build up? Did they seriously cut right after M and M meet at the altar? I heard the US version had some cuts (boo), but they wouldn't have cut from the wedding/honeymoon right?

Ok, this recap is hilarious, and implies that at least a little was cut from the wedding scene.

puddingcup

Back to top Go down

Post  Tabby Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:51 pm

We're not going to have to see more of Ethel, are we? Because I still could not give a crap.

I have to say that I loved the "picnic" dinner, especially the older lady guest who was getting completely into it.

I was horrified to see Edith still chasing after that old dude. He's perfectly nice, but the desperation and low self-esteem are just so embarrassing. But whatever, he caved, so she can finally stop begging. I hope she gets some happiness. Poor thing.
Yes, she was acting desperate, but on the other hand, at that time and place, a woman's only hope of any kind of life was to get married. Single women, especially those of her class, didn't have much choice. Old Dude is the only one we've seen who ever showed any interest in her, and, as she points out, all the young men she grew up with are dead. In the previews for next week, the Dowager Countess is seen saying something like, "She'll be a drudge for an old man," but I don't see that the alternative, being a drudge for her aging parents, is any better.
Tabby
Tabby

Back to top Go down

Post  maxell131313 Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:12 pm

I think my biggest amusement of the evening was how, after the wedding, Mary and Matthew would get in a spat about Lavinia's money and then be all, "Can we put this argument on hold for a while and go have sex? We'll pick up afterward."

Thomas and O'Brien fighting? The Crawley's may as well forget about trying to save Downton because there will be nothing but a smoking crater left after those two get done trying to one-up the other.

Poor Edith's desperation is almost uncomfortable to watch. As is Branson's determination to not let the aristocratic way of English life change him.

And Shirley was an absolute hoot and I wish she were staying longer.
maxell131313
maxell131313

Back to top Go down

Post  mrinsouciance Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:16 pm

I think Robert and Cora even said as much in one of the earlier episodes, i.e. she'll take care of them in their old age, assuming she would be a spinster.

Granted Mary and Sibyl are beautiful young women, but I personally don't think Edith is exactly a troll, by any means. And I kind of like the "old dude." Especially after he blew the whistle on the guy that slipped a mickey in Hanson's glass.

I'm afraid we're in for some storyline involving Ethel and whatshername, Matthew's mom.

I bet Maggie Smith and Shirley MacLaine had a ball doing their scenes together.

Plus, Hanson and Matthew have better chemistry than Hanson and Sibyl.

mrinsouciance

Back to top Go down

Post  Morning Angel Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:14 pm

puddingcup wrote:Wait a sec. Where was the wedding and honeymoon after all of that build up? Did they seriously cut right after M and M meet at the altar? I heard the US version had some cuts (boo), but they wouldn't have cut from the wedding/honeymoon right?

Very little if anything was cut. The issue was that the wedding was the last scene of the 1st episode in the UK, and their returning from the honeymoon was the beginning of the 2nd episode (the following week). It was almost like something was missing to see these two scenes edited together. It didn't seem as jarring in the UK version.
Morning Angel
Morning Angel

Back to top Go down

Post  Gillian Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:35 pm

maxell131313 wrote:As is Branson's determination to not let the aristocratic way of English life change him.
Oh, Branson. I'm glad his worst moment was the result of being drugged and that he toned it the fuck down after that. Generally I like him just fine, but I liked him a lot better once he started hanging out with Matthew and just wore the damn fancy coat. Loved the Isobel/Violet tag team there. It's your sister-in-law's wedding, you weirdo. Dressing nicely for a wedding that you're standing up in does not make you a traitor to your cause. It makes you polite.

Ugh, I already forgot about Ethel showing up. In the first hour or so, when they were hiring O'Brien's nephew and refusing to hire anyone else, I had this moment of, "Oooh, are we done with Ethel now? Yay!" But no. We're not. Sigh.

If I were Thomas, I wouldn't mess with O'Brien. I'd be more scared of her than him. She killed an heir in utero! I don't remember the circumstances there anymore. Like, I know she genuinely wanted to do something mean, but I know she didn't mean to kill an unborn baby. I need to go look that up. Whatever the case, when it comes down to it, my money is on O'Brien here.

Gillian

Back to top Go down

Post  mrinsouciance Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:41 pm

For sure, Thomas is the stereotypical inept villain. He can manipulate more obtuse characters like Daisy or Alfred, but anyone who didn't just fall off the turnip truck has him scoped out.

mrinsouciance

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next