Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This Business of Show

+56
BrightEyes
Red Wolf
Corvus
jstilwe
puddingcup
jensa
Tabby
Jordan Baker
swsa
Putli Bai
Jude
vwlphb
mialoubug
Melk
The Glen
Raised by wolves
Wildog27
ActonBell
GoodbyeWithWords
naughty zoot
Agent Sculder
Heather
Snarryfan
Skyblade
Gillian
punkysdilemma
Carrie Ann
Genevieve
whatthedeuce
TiffanyNichelle
Rhilin
Coneycat
blooey
Cutebutpsycho
maxell131313
bbridges
nazlan
QueenSix
big chicken
laddical
Morning Angel
Kiran
Gilraen
Arabella
Poubelle
biakbiak
The Dude
mayram
Jamie
bookworm
Binky
Never Enough
Eris Rising
blixie
choubetcha
Instant Monkeys
60 posters

Page 5 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

This Business of Show - Page 5 Empty Re: This Business of Show

Post  bookworm Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:16 pm

bookworm
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  The Glen Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:17 am

bookworm wrote:James Franco Defends Shia.

Um, yeah.
Mr. LaBeouf has been acting since he was a child, and often an actor’s need to tear down the public creation that constrains him occurs during the transition from young man to adult. I think Mr. LaBeouf’s project, if it is a project, is a worthy one. I just hope that he is careful not to use up all the good will he has gained as an actor in order to show us that he is an artist.

Psst, Mr Franco - when you plagiarise the works of other artists, it's not art. Or it may be art, but it's not yours. Hence, he is not an artist.

The Glen
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  Melk Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:29 pm

Does anyone really buy Shia's attempt to pretend his plagiarism was part of some kind of 'performance art' project? He got caught plagiarizing, was humiliated, and because he is apparently a crazy person decided that the thing to do was start plagiarizing literally everything he said/tweeted/wrote on his paper bag mask, and pretend that that had been the plan all along.
Melk
Melk

Back to top Go down

Post  nazlan Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:33 pm

Melk wrote:Does anyone really buy Shia's attempt to pretend his plagiarism was part of some kind of 'performance art' project? He got caught plagiarizing, was humiliated, and because he is apparently a crazy person decided that the thing to do was start plagiarizing literally everything he said/tweeted/wrote on his paper bag mask, and pretend that that had been the plan all along.

So basically it's the famous person equivalent of "It's a social experiment"?
nazlan
nazlan

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:00 pm

nazlan wrote:

So basically it's the famous person equivalent of "It's a social experiment"?

Funny how he didn't write a defensive piece for Lindsay Lohan when she was stealing everything in sight or Britney Spears when she shaved her head and got committed or Charlie Sheen when he was "winning".

Last edited by Binky on Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Binky
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:06 pm

Well neither Lindsay nor Charlie nor Britney claimed they were doing any of those things for art's sake.
naughty zoot
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:46 pm

Eris Rising
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  mialoubug Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:39 pm

Eris Rising wrote:David Letterman to retire in 2015.

Let the games begin.

You know, when I saw Drew Carey subbing for Craig Ferguson the other night, I turned to my husband and said "I bet he's auditioning for Ferguson's job for when Ferguson goes for Letterman's job when he retires." I'm still not sure Ferguson -- whom I LOVE -- is the right fit for the 11:30 slot but I do think the Carey would be terrific in Ferguson's slot.
mialoubug
mialoubug

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:50 pm

mialoubug wrote:

Let the games begin.

You know, when I saw Drew Carey subbing for Craig Ferguson the other night, I turned to my husband and said "I bet he's auditioning for Ferguson's job for when Ferguson goes for Letterman's job when he retires."   I'm still not sure Ferguson -- whom I LOVE -- is the right fit for the 11:30 slot but I do think the Carey would be terrific in Ferguson's slot.  

Ferguson has outright stated that he has absolutely no desire whatsoever to move to the earlier slot, as he feels that he has more creative freedom where he is right now. I suspect that for form's sake, he's considered in the running, but will also turn it down outright in exchange for a salary bump and being left alone for however long he has the show.
Eris Rising
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  vwlphb Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:14 pm

I heard he has the right of first refusal, so CBS has to offer it to him contractually before they can offer it to anyone else. Like you said, he may use that as leverage for a pay bump if he doesn't want the earlier slot.

vwlphb

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:59 pm

vwlphb wrote:I heard he has the right of first refusal, so CBS has to offer it to him contractually before they can offer it to anyone else. Like you said, he may use that as leverage for a pay bump if he doesn't want the earlier slot.

I certainly would. Something for me, for the writers, for the producer and director, and for Geoff's puppeteer. He has a sweet gig where he doesn't have to worry about living up to anyone else's expectations, and can continue to deconstruct the talk show format for as long as he wants to. So who else is in the running? Stewart, but speaking of good gigs, he has about as prestigious a one as he's going to get right where he is. Colbert is more of an actor than he is a talk show host, I suspect. Chelsea Handler just walked away from E!, but I'm having a hard time picturing that.
Eris Rising
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:04 pm

I actually wonder if he would want to do it because not only is he allowed a lot of freedom he is also allowed to pretape a ton of shows so that he can continue to tour and while Dave pretapes his Friday shows it's a lot less than Craig pretapes and I think that CBS would want its 11:30 show to be more timely.
biakbiak
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:19 pm

I was wondering how long Dave would keep at it after he outlived Leno.

Conan's TBS contract is up in 2015.
The Dude
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:54 pm

The Dude wrote:

Interesting...

I agree that Ferguson will not want the job. I really don't know who they'll try. I actually don't think Conan will leave TBS.

That said, I can't remember the last time I watched someone who wasn't Stewart/Colbert.
Binky
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  maxell131313 Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:42 am

I am glad that, unlike NBC, CBS is giving Dave the freedom to decide when he wants to go and letting him go out on his own terms. And I hope, like his idol Johnny Carson, he'll get one sweet sendoff next year. I'll miss him, but I respect that he wants to bow out now. Always leave 'em wanting more!
maxell131313
maxell131313

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:22 am

maxell131313 wrote:I am glad that, unlike NBC, CBS is giving Dave the freedom to decide when he wants to go and letting him go out on his own terms.  And I hope, like his idol Johnny Carson, he'll get one sweet sendoff next year.  I'll miss him, but I respect that he wants to bow out now.  Always leave 'em wanting more!

I suspect that Leno burned some bridges at NBC.  He pulled in ratings, but it seems that nobody wanted to deal with him.  It was pretty soon after Kimmel locked up 11:30, and Jay didn't have another major network to run to, that they made the serious moves towards getting him out of the door.  In a way, in the face of shifting demographics, they had to get him out while he was on top, and there was a chance of retaining or acquiring some younger viewers.

Last edited by Eris Rising on Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Eris Rising
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:28 am

The Dude wrote:I was wondering how long Dave would keep at it after he outlived Leno.

I do recall saying to friends a while back that once Leno was securely out that door (and between Kimmel locking down ABC and Fallon's spectacular ratings, he's as securely out as it gets), the chances for Letterman to move on had significantly increased. It wasn't a deciding factor, I'm sure, but I'm sure that sheer satisfaction at having outlived the competition, ratings be damned, may have played a part.
Eris Rising
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:13 am

He is also worshipped by the current generation of late night hosts. What Johnny was to Jay and him, he is to them. Leno doesn't have that and I always thought that despite the fact that post Hugh Grant he won the ratings, that always stuck in Leno's craw. Along with how actual show aside, Carson always considered Letterman his successor.

I think Jimmy Kimmel may want it. He WORSHIPS Letterman.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Jude Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:22 am

Yes he does. I don't know how long Kimmel's contract runs with ABC, but I could definitely see him wanting to step into his idol's shoes.

Jude

Back to top Go down

Post  Putli Bai Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:18 pm

mialoubug wrote:

Let the games begin.

You know, when I saw Drew Carey subbing for Craig Ferguson the other night, I turned to my husband and said "I bet he's auditioning for Ferguson's job for when Ferguson goes for Letterman's job when he retires."   I'm still not sure Ferguson -- whom I LOVE -- is the right fit for the 11:30 slot but I do think the Carey would be terrific in Ferguson's slot.  

That was an April Fool's Day prank - Craig Ferguson hosted The Price is Right, and Drew Cary hosted Craig's show.
Putli Bai
Putli Bai

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:32 pm

They're saying Colbert is the frontrunner right now.

As much as I adore him, it's sort of strange in that I don't think I could at all predict just how he'd run the show. We know so little of him out of character. Which could make it a smart choice. He brings along a loyal, sizeable fanbase, but he'd also be something fresh and new, despite his years and years of on-air duties.
swsa
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:10 pm

swsa wrote:They're saying Colbert is the frontrunner right now.

As much as I adore him, it's sort of strange in that I don't think I could at all predict just how he'd run the show. We know so little of him out of character. Which could make it a smart choice. He brings along a loyal, sizeable fanbase, but he'd also be something fresh and new, despite his years and years of on-air duties.

Like I said elsewhere, he strikes me as more of an actor than a talk show host, whereas in retrospect, Jimmy Fallon was a talk show host killing time as an actor.
Eris Rising
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  punkysdilemma Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:32 pm

I want to see Louis C.K. get an audition for it, to piss off Jerry Seinfeld.
punkysdilemma
punkysdilemma

Back to top Go down

Post  mialoubug Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:44 pm

Putli Bai wrote:
mialoubug wrote:

Let the games begin.

That was an April Fool's Day prank - Craig Ferguson hosted The Price is Right, and Drew Cary hosted Craig's show.

That makes a lot more sense! Thanks, I hadn't heard that.
mialoubug
mialoubug

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:18 pm

punkysdilemma wrote:I want to see Louis C.K. get an audition for it, to piss off Jerry Seinfeld.  

Aren't they friends? I'm just going by their episode of Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee, which was one of the best ones.
swsa
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next